Comments

• Reply 101 of 167
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I feel dirty
  • Reply 102 of 167
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robotkirby View Post

I'm an AT&T employee, and this just suprizes me due to the fact that Wal-Marts iPhone sales are just not cutting it, says our region director.

Plus, are you really gonna buy a mac from somewhere that really has no idea about them?

You sir, are no better as an AT&T employee. How did you get that job since you don't know how to spell the word surprises? Have you been to an Apple Store lately? Their "Geniuses" are fucking retards. I listened to one as he pushed AppleCare on an iPod Nano purchase by telling the customer they needed it because the hard drive inside might fail.
  • Reply 103 of 167
    I hope that all of the people here that bash Wal Mart claiming that the store is for redneck poor people, lose their jobs and end up unemployed! Then they may realize the value of Wal Mart. Since most of you bash Wal Mart and would never step foot in one, how the hell would you know what Wal Mart is like? I have never heard of such bullshit as Apple and their "high-end exclusive" customer? Only poor people shop at Wal Mart? If that is the case, then most of you are idiots wasting your money thinking that spending "top dollar" makes you cool when you buy a product.

Do you think Amazon.com is for poor people? They sell Macs for less than an Apple Store, and you can save money without paying sales tax. They also offer free shipping too. I am willing to bet when you people buy an Apple product, you try to get the best deal possible. How many of you take advantage of Apple's Refurbished Store? How cool are you when you tell your friends you bought a refurb because you didn't want to pay full price for a "new" Mac. Most of you complain that Apple needs to make a low cost mid-tower because you can't afford a Mac Pro! If you are their "high-end exclusive" customer, then slap down the big bucks for a Mac Pro and shut up. Bunch of hypocrites.

Maybe you should go Wal Mart and look at the people that do shop there. Look at the cars in the parking lot. Maybe check out the food prices and you might realize that your supermarket is raping you and you don't even know it. Why should I spend $2.50 for a 2 liter bottle of Diet A&W when Wal Mart sells it for $1.25? Why should I buy name brand foods or medicines when the generics are exactly the same, but far less expensive. How is Target better than Wal Mart? How about Costco? People shop there for low prices too. So are they considered redneck and poor? The Good Guys and Circuit City used to be the "high-end" stereo shop because their employees were commissioned-based and that is where people went for consumer electronics. That was their image. Now where are those stores today?

I used to be a person that shopped at Vons and bought brand-named foods. Thanks to the economy, my job was yanked from me. So I went from making good money, to no money. You learn very quickly on how to save money, and where to save money. No one cares if you bought anything at Wal Mart. The people that shop there are smart families saving money, and they drive nice cars too. I could not believe how much money I was wasting at a Supermarket! Will I go back to my old shopping habits after I get a new job? Nope. It is a store, just like any other. Who cares if it says Wal Mart on the building?

For those of you that didn't have a clue...Apple modeled their retail store after The Gap! Most of the Apple Stores acquired in malls were former Gap stores so they wouldn't have to spend a lot of money remodeling. So the "high-end exclusive" Apple Store you shop in, was nothing more than a Gap store.
  • Reply 104 of 167
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I hope that all of the people here that bash Wal Mart claiming that the store is for redneck poor people, lose their jobs and end up unemployed! Then they may realize the value of Wal Mart. Since most of you bash Wal Mart and would never step foot in one, how the hell would you know what Wal Mart is like? I have never heard of such bullshit as Apple and their "high-end exclusive" customer? Only poor people shop at Wal Mart? If that is the case, then most of you are idiots wasting your money thinking that spending "top dollar" makes you cool when you buy a product.

Do you think Amazon.com is for poor people? They sell Macs for less than an Apple Store, and you can save money without paying sales tax. They also offer free shipping too. I am willing to bet when you people buy an Apple product, you try to get the best deal possible. How many of you take advantage of Apple's Refurbished Store? How cool are you when you tell your friends you bought a refurb because you didn't want to pay full price for a "new" Mac. Most of you complain that Apple needs to make a low cost mid-tower because you can't afford a Mac Pro! If you are their "high-end exclusive" customer, then slap down the big bucks for a Mac Pro and shut up. Bunch of hypocrites.

Maybe you should go Wal Mart and look at the people that do shop there. Look at the cars in the parking lot. Maybe check out the food prices and you might realize that your supermarket is raping you and you don't even know it. Why should I spend $2.50 for a 2 liter bottle of Diet A&W when Wal Mart sells it for $1.25? Why should I buy name brand foods or medicines when the generics are exactly the same, but far less expensive. How is Target better than Wal Mart? How about Costco? People shop there for low prices too. So are they considered redneck and poor?

I used to be a person that shopped at Vons and bought brand-named foods. Thanks to the economy, my job was yanked from me. So I went from making good money, to no money. You learn very quickly on how to save money, and where to save money. No one cares if you bought anything at Wal Mart. The people that shop there are smart families saving money, and they drive nice cars too. I could not believe how much money I was wasting at a Supermarket! Will I go back to my old shopping habits after I get a new job? Nope. It is a store, just like any other. Who cares if it says Wal Mart on the building?

Bravo!

Those are very good points!
  • Reply 105 of 167
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes. We pay him a dollar for every time he uses the word.

Pay up.
  • Reply 106 of 167
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Yikes. You know, some of us resisted these inane characterizations of Wal-Mart customers. Some of us think the biggest barrier to Apple selling in Wal-Mart is the very different styles of retailing used by the two companies, which would have to be resolved before a major Apple presence in Wal-Mart would make much sense. I realize it's annoying to hear people expound at length on their worst prejudices, but it's equally annoying to have serious discussion brushed aside in favor of pointless bickering about them.
  • Reply 107 of 167
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yikes. You know, some of us resisted these inane characterizations of Wal-Mart customers. Some of us think the biggest barrier to Apple selling in Wal-Mart is the very different styles of retailing used by the two companies, which would have to be resolved before a major Apple presence in Wal-Mart would make much sense. I realize it's annoying to hear people expound at length on their worst prejudices, but it's equally annoying to have serious discussion brushed aside in favor of pointless bickering about them.

I agree with that. We don't have to think the same way about this, though we can state why.
  • Reply 108 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

I disagree. I use mine much more than my MacBook. It's small, light, and cool running on my lap.

Netbooks are a perfect option between practically-useless-for-the-web smart phones, and much more expensive and heavy notebook computers. Low end Macs might do well at Wal-Mart but netbooks will continue to enjoy phenomenal growth as more people discover how useful netbooks are for what they do most; web surfing and email.

Yeah, right. My iPhone fits in my pocket, can you do that with your Netbook? Or do you put your Netbook in your Male-Purse? My iPhone works great for the web, so I guess you don't own one, and have never used one. Which will last longer? Your cheaply made Netbook, or your MacBook? I saw two Netbooks at Target...they were cheap pieces of garbage that look like they would break in 6 months. One of them was the #1 Netbook too!
  • Reply 109 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in eight years. It truly is "redneck central", and not somewhere Apple computers need to be sold.

Wow. Eight years. I see your research is based on current evidence. Maybe where you live is redneck central. I am glad you are wasting your money at other stores. Keep up the good work.
  • Reply 110 of 167
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

Soon as I saw the headline Wal-Mart may carry Apple computers, I was waiting for all the condescending comments about Wal-Mart and its customers. This is so arrogant, frustrating and unnecessary. As long as Apple?s quality remains high, it should not matter if their products are sold at Wal-Mart. Apple should not try to only cater to snobs, but gain as much market share as possible. I?ve been an Apple fan for years and feel this type of junior high discussion alienates a lot of potential new Apple customers.

I think you're missing the point. When you buy Apple, you're not just buying the box. You're buying the knowledge and service (Apple experts, etc.) with it. One of the reasons why Apple opened its own stores is because they were unhappy with the way that Macs were sold within other retail environments and the stores they were unhappy with do a far better job than WalMart does.

People who shop in WalMart are looking for the lowest possible prices on relatively low-end merchandise (even if low prices are not actually the reality of WalMart, just the perception.) Personally, I don't think Mac belongs in there at all, but if it is going to be there, it should only be done via a "store within a store" concept with Apple, not Wal-Mart employees, selling and supporting the products. But again, I'd prefer not to see the products there at all because I think it will damage Apple's reputation in the long run.
  • Reply 111 of 167
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I went into my Wal-mart yesterday evening. No Apple products can be physically touched--not even iPod accessories. Right by Griffin, Belkin, and other items is a photo/card of the Apple version with instructions to take it to the electronics counter to purchase. iPods could never be touched, and the iPhone is now behind a thick piece of plastic too. If Macs do end up in Wal-mart, it appears that Apple has learned from past transgressions.
  • Reply 112 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I went into my Wal-mart yesterday evening. No Apple products can be physically touched--not even iPod accessories. Right by Griffin, Belkin, and other items is a photo/card of the Apple version with instructions to take it to the electronics counter to purchase. iPods could never be touched, and the iPhone is now behind a thick piece of plastic too. If Macs do end up in Wal-mart, it appears that Apple has learned from past transgressions.

Wait -- are you saying this is the solution?

When I started looking for my first iPod years ago, I went into a Best Buy store with the hope/expectation that I'd be able to get my hands on one. You know, to see it? Feel it? Try it? They had iPods to sell, but only in boxes in a locked cage, which Mr. Sales Associate did not volunteer to open. I walked out of there pronto.
  • Reply 113 of 167
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Wait -- are you saying this is the solution?

When I started looking for my first iPod years ago, I went into a Best Buy store with the hope/expectation that I'd be able to get my hands on one. You know, to see it? Feel it? Try it? They had iPods to sell, but only in boxes in a locked cage, which Mr. Sales Associate did not volunteer to open. I walked out of there pronto.

Yeah, I was a little confused by that too. Maybe he meant Apple has NOT learned from past transgressions.
  • Reply 114 of 167
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yeah, I was a little confused by that too. Maybe he meant Apple has NOT learned from past transgressions.

I thought some here said that people do their research online, and that retailers just have to hand them a box. The 'yea' team needs to be consistent in their argument. If all you need is a box handed to you--because you're an 'educated consumer' and you've done your research online--then, what's the problem?

iPods, Nintendo Wiis, and XBoxes sell just fine being protected behind the glass. They all have learned from past transgressions.

Quote:

I bought mine online after doing research.
  • Reply 115 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I thought some here said that people do their research online, and that retailers just have to hand them a box. The 'yea' team needs to be consistent in their argument. If all you need is a box handed to you--because you're an 'educated consumer' and you've done your research online--then, what's the problem?

iPods, Nintendo Wiis, and XBoxes sell just fine being protected behind the glass. They all have learned from past transgressions.

I'm not sure what the "yea team" is, so I'm not sure if I'm on it -- but I don't think most consumers are happy to just have a box handed to them. If that was the case then Apple would have been more successful in the past selling in the mass market retail stores, and would not have felt the need to open their own company stores.

Quote:

I bought mine online after doing research.

In the end so did I, but I was already primed for the purchase. I believe we can attribute much of Apple's recent success to giving consumers a better hands-on retail experience.
  • Reply 116 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

I truly hope this does not come to pass. No offense too the folks that shop at Wal-Mart, but this is not an image that Apple needs to be associated with. Target, maybe but Wal-Mart is no place for a computer that most people who shop there (and I stress most) can not afford. I believe in getting the best product(s) to all walks of life, but this is just the road Apple does not need to take with their computers.

S

Personally, I think Apple is one if not the best run company in the world at this time. If their management team deems Wal-Mart a worthy distribution point, I will trust they have done all their research and have a solid plan for making the experience a positive one for both Apple and Wal-Mart. I know Apple appreciates your patronage Mr S but if image is your concern then I suspect you missed the true quality of Apple's current success which is substance. Yes, they are masters of image and have been for the history of the company but now they back that image up with the best products and services available. Even us poor backward folks that shop at Wal-Mart for the value and convenience deserve the Apple brand. Do you want all the Apple computers removed from the inter-city schools because that demographic is inferior to your projected image? Last but not least, you might be extremely surprise at the demographic profile of the Wal-Mart electronic shopper!
  • Reply 117 of 167
    Apparently quite a number of people seem to be more worried about their own image than they are about Apple's image. They don't want to been seen owning products that are sold where the trailer trash shops. Some days I feel like I need to take a long, hot shower after reading this stuff.
  • Reply 118 of 167
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I'm not sure what the "yea team" is, so I'm not sure if I'm on it -- but I don't think most consumers are happy to just have a box handed to them. If that was the case then Apple would have been more successful in the past selling in the mass market retail stores, and would not have felt the need to open their own company stores.

In the end so did I, but I was already primed for the purchase. I believe we can attribute much of Apple's recent success to giving consumers a better hands-on retail experience.

And I think this speaks to the point being made that Walmart (without having to go into any demographic name calling) may not be a great fit for what Apple is selling, as it stands now (which is not to say that Apple hasn't negotiated some kind of advantageous exception, although that goes against everything I know about Walmart).

That is to say, the "hand over the box" model is great if you're selling commodity goods for as little as possible. As even Walmart's defenders acknowledge, that's pretty much the point. You don't go to Walmart for the "experience", you go there to buy stuff you need, cheaply as possible. In fact, that's why I generally don't go there-- the grim vibe of necessity is just depressing to me. Even the (only slightly more expensive) Target seems like some kind of luxury boutique, in comparison.

But Apple very much is selling "an experience." You can take potshots at them all you like if that strikes you as "elitist" or "shallow" or whatever, but that's the deal and it seems to be working pretty well. The entire reason Apple launched their own retail outlets was because mass marketers where failing to "tell the story" of the "Apple experience."

And it's important that that story get told, because if it's simply a matter of buying the cheapest available example of the genre, Apple always loses. They need a chance to make their case for why you might want to spend a bit more, but Walmart, by design, seriously mitigates against that case, with every fiber of its being.

As I say, maybe they'll work something out so that an "Apple zone" manages to seem more Apple than Walmart, but the "cheap is better" force field is simply part of the place's DNA, so it doesn't seem promising.
  • Reply 119 of 167
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Yeah, right. My iPhone fits in my pocket, can you do that with your Netbook? Or do you put your Netbook in your Male-Purse? My iPhone works great for the web, so I guess you don't own one, and have never used one.

Correct, but I do own an iPod touch. I used it for about a month before I got tired of trying to surf the web on a two inch screen and type with one finger. It's still a decent iPod music player though.

Quote:

Which will last longer? Your cheaply made Netbook, or your MacBook?

My netbook, because I'll probably sell the MacBook. The MacBook does nothing I need to do on a portable computer that my netbook can't do.

Quote:

I saw two Netbooks at Target...they were cheap pieces of garbage that look like they would break in 6 months. One of them was the #1 Netbook too!

Since you're not aware, you should know that not all netbooks are the same. You seem to think they're all crap after having seen two.
  • Reply 120 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

My netbook, because I'll probably sell the MacBook. The MacBook does nothing I need to do on a portable computer that my netbook can't do.

I just want to point out that you did state it as your needs, which is a legitimate reason, and that you are not stating a netbook can do everything a MacBook can do.

Quote:

Since you're not aware, you should know that not all netbooks are the same. You seem to think they're all crap after having seen two.

They run from about $250 to over $1000. I would imagine an Apple netbook would be around $800, maybe $500-$600 if subsidized with a $60/month data plan.