Mini or iMac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Offer her the computer that will increase your changes of getting her into bed.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Offer her the computer that will increase your changes of getting her into bed.

Nice try. Actually, she's a close Platonic friend and has a boyfriend. In fact, she's already ordered the iMac online, and I think her boyfriend is going to buy it for her for her birthday.

I'll save your ploy for someone else.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Nice try. Actually, she's a close Platonic friend and has a boyfriend. In fact, she's already ordered the iMac online, and I think her boyfriend is going to buy it for her for her birthday.

I'll save your ploy for someone else.

Then just upgrade her RAM and join in bed!
  • Reply 24 of 38
    BTW, my friend's boyfriend, an ardent PC buff, read Marvin's info and has decided to get a Mini. That info was just the push he needed. Evidently, he had been thinking about a Mac, but didn't know which one would be for him. These threads do have some clout.

I suggested he wait until the WWDC next month - just in case there's something new. Probably won't be, but - who knows.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I'm not sure if you really want her to pay up for the 2.26 GHz processor on the mini. From many posts in various forums here, there's been an overwhelming consensus that paying more for the 2.26 vs. the 2.0 is not worth it.

I got the 2GHz Core Duo 2 Mac mini had Apple upgraded to 4GB DDR3 on the 26th of March I purchased the 24" LED on the 28th of May. I love it! The 24" LED Cinema Display is worth it. This is the best setup I every had so far.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3359/...43f5017b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/...cfa58c30_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3373/...9d0cae77_o.jpg
  • Reply 26 of 38
    barney0barney0 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

I got the 2GHz Core Duo 2 Mac mini had Apple upgraded to 4GB DDR3 on the 26th of March I purchased the 24" LED on the 28th of May. I love it! The 24" LED Cinema Display is worth it. This is the best setup I every had so far.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3359/...43f5017b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/...cfa58c30_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3373/...9d0cae77_o.jpg

Hiya,

I'm new to the forums and am on the same boat of choosing between the new 20inch 2.66ghz imac or the new 2.0ghz mini.

I'm currently on a 10 year old Mac Cube 500mhz with 1.25gb ram and a 20gb hdd! This is my first mac and have simply fallen in love with OS X, never going back to windows for my day-to-day stuff!

So, basically whatever upgrade I get will be an awesome speed boost from my cube!

Basically I would like to know what you're capable of doing with your mini. I already have a lovely 22inch moniter, mouse and keyboard and also an external 500gb hard drive (unfortunately without firewire). I want to know what you can do on it before it starts to bog down on the 2.0ghz cpu.

I have been on an imac and I have to say that I love it! Really fast and snappy. I will definitely being upgrading the ram to 4gb myself if I was to get the mini. This brings the price to £530 for the mini or £800 for a refurbished new imac. Obviously, the imac brings the advantages of 8gb expandable ram, twice the L2 cache, 7200rpm larger hdd, eye sight and mouse & keyboard. All of these apart from the cache and hdd speed don't worry me. How much of a difference will the speedy hdd make? Will the fact I will be upgrading the ram to 4gb have any effect on the slower hdd?

I will be wanting to be running fusion/parallels/bootcamp regularly on my mac. Along with very mild photo and video editing. I want to have snappy performance running multiple O.S and multitasking, also using a few spaces. My main question is will the mini be up for the job?

I will also be playing a couple of games (counter-strike source, team fortress 2, left 4 dead). I think the mini will have no trouble with these running with bootcamp. Correct me if i'm mistaken.

Also, would booting off an external fw 800 hd make a significant difference to booting off the 5400rpm internal?

Also what about snow leopard? Should I wait for the release? Will it make the mini run faster?

Oh and my absolute maximum I can spend is £800. And with the imac I am eligible for the free ipod touch, I don't think the mini is included in this offer

I'm sorry for all these questions but it's a very big decision for me

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate any help whatsoever.

Barney
  • Reply 27 of 38
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barney0 View Post

Hiya,

I'm new to the forums and am on the same boat of choosing between the new 20inch 2.66ghz imac or the new 2.0ghz mini.

I'm currently on a 10 year old Mac Cube 500mhz with 1.25gb ram and a 20gb hdd! This is my first mac and have simply fallen in love with OS X, never going back to windows for my day-to-day stuff!

So, basically whatever upgrade I get will be an awesome speed boost from my cube!

Basically I would like to know what you're capable of doing with your mini. I already have a lovely 22inch moniter, mouse and keyboard and also an external 500gb hard drive (unfortunately without firewire). I want to know what you can do on it before it starts to bog down on the 2.0ghz cpu.

I have been on an imac and I have to say that I love it! Really fast and snappy. I will definitely being upgrading the ram to 4gb myself if I was to get the mini. This brings the price to £530 for the mini or £800 for a refurbished new imac. Obviously, the imac brings the advantages of 8gb expandable ram, twice the L2 cache, 7200rpm larger hdd, eye sight and mouse & keyboard. All of these apart from the cache and hdd speed don't worry me. How much of a difference will the speedy hdd make? Will the fact I will be upgrading the ram to 4gb have any effect on the slower hdd?

I will be wanting to be running fusion/parallels/bootcamp regularly on my mac. Along with very mild photo and video editing. I want to have snappy performance running multiple O.S and multitasking, also using a few spaces. My main question is will the mini be up for the job?

I will also be playing a couple of games (counter-strike source, team fortress 2, left 4 dead). I think the mini will have no trouble with these running with bootcamp. Correct me if i'm mistaken.

Also, would booting off an external fw 800 hd make a significant difference to booting off the 5400rpm internal?

Also what about snow leopard? Should I wait for the release? Will it make the mini run faster?

Oh and my absolute maximum I can spend is £800. And with the imac I am eligible for the free ipod touch, I don't think the mini is included in this offer

I'm sorry for all these questions but it's a very big decision for me

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate any help whatsoever.

Barney

Barney, I assume you reside in the UK so check your Apple website for the details on the Back to School offer. For us in the USA, refurbished computers and iPods do NOT qualify for the promotion. That alone may knock the iMac out of consideration if you want the iPod, too.

There aren't any bad choices among those you've listed. One thing you may wish to do, however, is if you decide on a mini have Apple install a larger HDD than the stock 120 GB drive. Upgrading the memory is an easier task for the user.

Some people have reported that booting from a Firewire drive, especially FW800, does speed things up a little but is it worth the expense? Only you can decide.

One thing the mini has going for it is easy replacement. If another model that's to die for comes along in a couple of years, you'll find a very robust market for used minis as they are so easy to ship.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Barney, I assume you reside in the UK so check your Apple website for the details on the Back to School offer. For us in the USA, refurbished computers and iPods do NOT qualify for the promotion. That alone may knock the iMac out of consideration if you want the iPod, too.

There aren't any bad choices among those you've listed. One thing you may wish to do, however, is if you decide on a mini have Apple install a larger HDD than the stock 120 GB drive. Upgrading the memory is an easier task for the user.

Some people have reported that booting from a Firewire drive, especially FW800, does speed things up a little but is it worth the expense? Only you can decide.

One thing the mini has going for it is easy replacement. If another model that's to die for comes along in a couple of years, you'll find a very robust market for used minis as they are so easy to ship.

Hiya,

Thanks for the useful info. Yeh I just checked and refurbs do not qualify for the ipod :| which is a bit of a bugger seeing as i was thinking of selling it to bring down the cost of the imac.

Do you own a mini? Could you or know anyone out there who could tell me how well they run on the 2.0ghz cpus and if they can handle virtual machines well without hiccups.

Thanks in advance

Barney
  • Reply 29 of 38
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

Hiya,

Thanks for the useful info. Yeh I just checked and refurbs do not qualify for the ipod :| which is a bit of a bugger seeing as i was thinking of selling it to bring down the cost of the imac.

Do you own a mini? Could you or know anyone out there who could tell me how well they run on the 2.0ghz cpus and if they can handle virtual machines well without hiccups.

Thanks in advance

Barney

Barney,

I own a mini and it works great. I don't run any virtualization software on it but others who frequent this message board do and quite successfully. Certainly you'd want to max the memory to 4GB.

The bigger question is what Windows software do you want to run? If it's hard core gaming then ask yourself if you would rather simply boot into Windows instead of run it in a VM. Is it so intense that you want a higher end machine with a gaming-oriented GPU (not that the integrated NVIDIA 9400M is bad or anything but it's not high end)?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Barney,

I own a mini and it works great. I don't run any virtualization software on it but others who frequent this message board do and quite successfully. Certainly you'd want to max the memory to 4GB.

The bigger question is what Windows software do you want to run? If it's hard core gaming then ask yourself if you would rather simply boot into Windows instead of run it in a VM. Is it so intense that you want a higher end machine with a gaming-oriented GPU (not that the integrated NVIDIA 9400M is bad or anything but it's not high end)?

If this is your true motive then you need to look at iMac with BTO for the 512MB DDR5 4850 Academic then get you iPod Touch Free Promotion.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

If this is your true motive then you need to look at iMac with BTO for the 512MB DDR5 4850 Academic then get you iPod Touch Free Promotion.

Quote:

Barney,

Hiya,

No no no, not any hardcore gaming I have a pc for that with a 4870.

I will be running a few different O.S xp, vista, 7, server 03 and 08, possibly ubuntu. Not all at the same time . Maybe two at once tops.

I really want the mini to be snappy with all standard tasks. And no real slow down with fusion running. As you have a mini, would you mind telling me what you do with your mini? What's the limit to which it starts getting slow.

Thanks guys

James
  • Reply 32 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

.....I really want the mini to be snappy with all standard tasks. And no real slow down with fusion running. ....

James

You probably need a Mac Pro then. VM Ware will allow you to use up to 2 cores for your virtual machine. If you have a quad core machine or better, ie a Mac Pro, this is possible.

With a dual core machine you should only dedicate one core for the VM other wise the host machine will have problems. Now, I have two cores enabled on my MBP with VM ware but only run my virtual machine for quick tasks and then quit. Performance with both cores enabled is very good. It's faster than a P4 windows machine and feels native. With one core enabled performance is ok, but doesn't feel 'native'.

Bottom line: If you plan on doing any significant amount of work using VM Ware or Parallels, you want as much machine as you can buy. These apps are resource intensive and perform best with a quad core machine or better. If you can only afford a mini or iMac then get the fastest dual core machine you can buy. Oh, and get as much RAM as the machine will take. 4 gbs of RAM is NOT overkill for this purpose.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Hiya,

No no no, not any hardcore gaming I have a pc for that with a 4870.

I will be running a few different O.S xp, vista, 7, server 03 and 08, possibly ubuntu. Not all at the same time . Maybe two at once tops.

I really want the mini to be snappy with all standard tasks. And no real slow down with fusion running. As you have a mini, would you mind telling me what you do with your mini? What's the limit to which it starts getting slow.

Thanks guys

James

If you already have a PC, why use Fusion, Parallels, or even Bootcamp on a Mac? You have Windows on your PC. Why buy another Windows? Somehow, that doesn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

If you already have a PC, why use Fusion, Parallels, or even Bootcamp on a Mac? You have Windows on your PC. Why buy another Windows? Somehow, that doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah stick with your PC some things are not for everybody.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Quote:

Yeah stick with your PC some things are not for everybody.

Haha I thought someone would point this out to me! 'My' PC is not fully 'mine'. It's shared between the house, so while it would be better to run versions on Windows on that, it may not be easy as 1,2,3. It is also in a completely different part of the house.

Therefore I want a Mac to be able to run a version of windows for quick and easy tasks at the same desk.

And seeing as I will only be gaming every now and again on the PC for games like Crysis, Fallout 3, Collin Mcrae Dirt, Farcry 2, it will be much more convienient for me to play the less demanding games like css and tf2 at the comfort of the same desk/same room.

Cheers

James
  • Reply 36 of 38
    The question is do I save up for another month and spend the £892 on the base iMac? I'm not sure the extra £362 is worth it? Although there are many, many advantages: (what the mini will be)

> 2.66ghz (2.0ghz)

> 320gb 7200rpm (120gb 5400rpm)

> 2gb (4gb)

> Twice the L2 cache

> Mouse & Keyboard - not needed but would be nice

> Would have the 20inch imac alongside my 22inch moniter, would look amazing

> Also have the external hd for extra storage.

> WOULD GET THE FREE IPOD TOUCH! which with my airport express would be awesome with my hifi.

I have to say that the two screens is very appealing, and also obviously the dramatic speed bump and twice the L2 cache. Although the extra hd capacity isn't a necessity it isn't as appealing as the speed of it, 7200rpm.

I just really don't want to buy the mini and then really regret it in a few months.

And I know that with the iMac I won't have this concern, it will also last a lot longer.

Do I save almost £900 for this beast of a computer and have a truly lovely setup or do I go for the sensible lower priced mini?

I hate having to make this choice. But still I have a few weeks to decide.

Thanks

James
  • Reply 37 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

The question is do I save up for another month and spend the £892 on the base iMac? I'm not sure the extra £362 is worth it? Although there are many, many advantages: (what the mini will be)

> 2.66ghz (2.0ghz)

> 320gb 7200rpm (120gb 5400rpm)

> 2gb (4gb)

> Twice the L2 cache

> Mouse & Keyboard - not needed but would be nice

> Would have the 20inch imac alongside my 22inch moniter, would look amazing

> Also have the external hd for extra storage.

> WOULD GET THE FREE IPOD TOUCH! which with my airport express would be awesome with my hifi.

I have to say that the two screens is very appealing, and also obviously the dramatic speed bump and twice the L2 cache. Although the extra hd capacity isn't a necessity it isn't as appealing as the speed of it, 7200rpm.

I just really don't want to buy the mini and then really regret it in a few months.

And I know that with the iMac I won't have this concern, it will also last a lot longer.

Do I save almost £900 for this beast of a computer and have a truly lovely setup or do I go for the sensible lower priced mini?

I hate having to make this choice. But still I have a few weeks to decide.

Thanks

James

I guess from your pound notations in pricing you're in England, correct?

Does the Apple store you visit online sell refurbished machines? If so give them serious consideration. That's what I got and apart from the box that came it looks brand new. You could save a nice amount of money by doing so.

The 20" iMac I got was $1499 when it last was sold new. I bought it for $999 refurbished.

Since you already have a nice monitor, the decision is fairly difficult. The mini isn't a bad machine but it is the weakest performing of the Mac desktops.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I guess from your pound notations in pricing you're in England, correct?

Does the Apple store you visit online sell refurbished machines? If so give them serious consideration. That's what I got and apart from the box that came it looks brand new. You could save a nice amount of money by doing so.

The 20" iMac I got was $1499 when it last was sold new. I bought it for $999 refurbished.

Since you already have a nice monitor, the decision is fairly difficult. The mini isn't a bad machine but it is the weakest performing of the Mac desktops.

Tell me about it! One of the hardest decisions of a lifetime! lol

Yes, I'm from England.

I did have a gander in the refurb section but generally they're much more limited compared to the U.S store unfortunately. The ones which are on there are going for £799. And the free ipod doesn't work with refurbs. The ipod is attractice 1) because i could sell it bringing the price down to £750 and 2) i need a new ipod anyway!

Thanks

James