Just got fired; need to get exchange calendar off iphone

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Well I couldn't escape the axe forever and just got canned.

I've been using an iphone via exchange for contacts and calendar.

I was able to get my contacts synced to google contacts with an iphone app.

Unfortunately there isn't one to do the same thing for the calendar.

Google sync relies on the desktop and erases the iphone and then syncs.

iTunes just says that contacts and calendar are syncing via exhange and won't let me mess with them.

Anyone have a miracle solution for me?

Many thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    When you sync your iPhone, that information may be backed up, and can therefore be retrieved; however, I'd imagine Apple & Microsoft have developed ways to restrict access to Exchange servers if a user's access has been revoked.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Are you talking about OTA syncing with Exchange? If so, can't you just go to Settings->Mail, Contact, Calendars->Your Exchange Acct, and then either disable the Calendar sync or delete the Exchange acct all together?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

When you sync your iPhone, that information may be backed up, and can therefore be retrieved; however, I'd imagine Apple & Microsoft have developed ways to restrict access to Exchange servers if a user's access has been revoked.

Good idea, I will look into cracking the backup file. Your suspicions are probably true though, the file may be tough to access.

Thanks for idea.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Are you talking about OTA syncing with Exchange? If so, can't you just go to Settings->Mail, Contact, Calendars->Your Exchange Acct, and then either disable the Calendar sync or delete the Exchange acct all together?

Yes, OTA exchange syncing.

That would be the ideal solution, however, when those options are tried, the synced data is erased. So I need to park the calendar data somewhere, then turn off OTA sync and then reload. I just can't find a program to pull off the calendar data. There are many to do this with contacts but frustratingly none for calendar.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    jgiesenjgiesen Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by attilahun View Post

Yes, OTA exchange syncing.

That would be the ideal solution, however, when those options are tried, the synced data is erased. So I need to park the calendar data somewhere, then turn off OTA sync and then reload. I just can't find a program to pull off the calendar data. There are many to do this with contacts but frustratingly none for calendar.

In the same boat... Anyone come up with a way to handle calendar entries??
  • Reply 6 of 24
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    If you use google calendar, there are tools available that will sync your Outlook calendar with google calendar. In that scenario you will need admin rights on your work PC, so that you can install the software on your work PC.

I'm not sure if such a tool exists for the iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Have you tried Mobile Me?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I'm actually shocked they haven't remotely wiped your entire iPhone yet?? Better hurry...

EDIT: Ok, so if you don't want them to wipe EVERYTHING off of it the only thing you can do is put it in airplane mode until you find a resolution
  • Reply 9 of 24
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Give Plaxo a try
  • Reply 10 of 24
    jgiesenjgiesen Posts: 4member
    Good thoughts all. I tried them all to no avail. I thought MobileMe was going to do it but it will not export to Outlook (or any other PIM) - it will only imort. So, I do have everything backed up which is good but still do not have it all in my local Outlook instance.

Plaxo will sync with Outlook but not the iPhone (Windows Mobile only) where the source of my contacts live.

Still working on it. And, since I ran the IT shop I know the company does not have the ability to remote wipe my personal device (we had many other priorities in the small company!).
  • Reply 11 of 24
    nickstl77nickstl77 Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jgiesen View Post

Still working on it. And, since I ran the IT shop I know the company does not have the ability to remote wipe my personal device (we had many other priorities in the small company!).

Were you running Exchange 2003 or 2007? 2007 has the remote wipe functionality built into the Activesync cmdlets.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Mobile Me is advertised to synch with Outlook. Synch your iphone with mobile me...then set up a new profile in Outlook and synch with mobile me....seems like it should be pretty straight forward
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeberbach View Post

Mobile Me is advertised to synch with Outlook. Synch your iphone with mobile me...then set up a new profile in Outlook and synch with mobile me....seems like it should be pretty straight forward

You are correct jeberach. I mistyped my problem with MobileMe (confused the issue with another). WIth MobileMe, it set up a new contact group on the iPhone and did not merge with my existing group (which I told it to do). So what shows in MobileMe is what is in the MobileMe group on the iPhone - nothing! Similar issue for the calendar entries - MobileMe arbitrarily picked a calendar (the wrong one) to sync with and does not have everything. Anysugestions on these? I do not see a way to "delete" a calendar or manually merge groups. Thx!

And, we were running Exchange 2003 thankfully.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

You are correct jeberach. I mistyped my problem with MobileMe (confused the issue with another). WIth MobileMe, it set up a new contact group on the iPhone and did not merge with my existing group (which I told it to do). So what shows in MobileMe is what is in the MobileMe group on the iPhone - nothing! Similar issue for the calendar entries - MobileMe arbitrarily picked a calendar (the wrong one) to sync with and does not have everything. Anysugestions on these? I do not see a way to "delete" a calendar or manually merge groups. Thx!

And, we were running Exchange 2003 thankfully.

I'm a little confused by your issue at this point. You originally said you were in the same boat as the other person and needed to export your just your calendar data. That person didn't have access to Exchange any more which is kind of a unique situation. But it sounds like you do have access to Exchange...?

If so, you could dump all of your data to Outlook and export from there in multiple formats.

If you don't, could you clarify your situation?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeberbach View Post

I'm a little confused by your issue at this point. You originally said you were in the same boat as the other person and needed to export your just your calendar data. That person didn't have access to Exchange any more which is kind of a unique situation. But it sounds like you do have access to Exchange...?

If so, you could dump all of your data to Outlook and export from there in multiple formats.

If you don't, could you clarify your situation?

My apologies for the confusion. With my past company I was syncing with Exchange. I no longer have access to Exchange or the company laptop. I am now trying to get my contacts and calendar entries from my iPhone 3G (3.0) to my personal laptop in Outlook. BTW, maybe I missed something but when I was working for the company I did try to synch with my personal laptop so I had my information both at work and home but since I was syncing with Exchange it would not replicate anything to my personal laptop. So now I am faced with my iPhone being the only source of record for contacts and calendar entries.

What I've tried thus far based on suggestion and research:

- MobileMe - I was able to establish an account and get a sync to work. However, MobileMe created its own contacts group and calendar on the iPhone and did not merge anything from my existing contacts group or calendar. When I sync with the phone nothing appears in MobileMe that I can then sync with my local Outlook.

- Plaxo - Plaxo will not actually sync with the iPhone.

- Memova (app found in App Store) - was able to get everything into the My Memova web site but low and behold there is not way to get it out! So, I do have an emergency backup of everything but that is it.

- Y! Contacts (app found in App Store) - was able to connect to my Yahoo account but it will not sync the contacts from my existing group in my iPhone. It will only use what is already in my Yahoo Contacts.

- Contacts Tool (app found in App Store) - this tool allows your to export contacts for import into another PIM (does nothing with calendar entries). However, there is a bug that prevents export if a contact lable (category) does not exist. Exchange does not create a lable when it syncs so nothing in my contacts will export. A fix was submitted to Apple but it is awaiting approval.

There are a couple expensive apps in the App Store that just may work but was trying to avoid them if possible. Mabe I am being an idiot but it just is not supposed to be this difficult!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best,

Jeff
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

My apologies for the confusion. With my past company I was syncing with Exchange. I no longer have access to Exchange or the company laptop. I am now trying to get my contacts and calendar entries from my iPhone 3G (3.0) to my personal laptop in Outlook. BTW, maybe I missed something but when I was working for the company I did try to synch with my personal laptop so I had my information both at work and home but since I was syncing with Exchange it would not replicate anything to my personal laptop. So now I am faced with my iPhone being the only source of record for contacts and calendar entries.

What I've tried thus far based on suggestion and research:

- MobileMe - I was able to establish an account and get a sync to work. However, MobileMe created its own contacts group and calendar on the iPhone and did not merge anything from my existing contacts group or calendar. When I sync with the phone nothing appears in MobileMe that I can then sync with my local Outlook.

- Plaxo - Plaxo will not actually sync with the iPhone.

- Memova (app found in App Store) - was able to get everything into the My Memova web site but low and behold there is not way to get it out! So, I do have an emergency backup of everything but that is it.

- Y! Contacts (app found in App Store) - was able to connect to my Yahoo account but it will not sync the contacts from my existing group in my iPhone. It will only use what is already in my Yahoo Contacts.

- Contacts Tool (app found in App Store) - this tool allows your to export contacts for import into another PIM (does nothing with calendar entries). However, there is a bug that prevents export if a contact lable (category) does not exist. Exchange does not create a lable when it syncs so nothing in my contacts will export. A fix was submitted to Apple but it is awaiting approval.

There are a couple expensive apps in the App Store that just may work but was trying to avoid them if possible. Mabe I am being an idiot but it just is not supposed to be this difficult!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff,

I am in the EXACT same scenario. Did you ever find a solution? I still have the calendar on my IPhone. Mine is jailbroken, and I did export the calendar file (which is a sqlite file, I think). But can't figure out what to do with it. Thanks in advance!

D.J.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Hi there D.J. (delfinparis) and Jeff,

I too have found my self in this predicament. Did you guys (or any one else for that matter) find out how to export the exchange calendar data from the iPhone? I've been using that calendar for about a year now after I left my last employer and have been put my entire administration in it!!! (stupid me)

As you can see, I would love to get this resolved.

Thanks in advance,

Ramsy
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ramsy View Post

Hi there D.J. (delfinparis) and Jeff,

Your former made one post here two years ago and has never returned. Your latter hasn't posted for three years.

They're? not going to reply.

Try this: Create yourself an iCloud account and let it sync your calendars. Then access the iCloud account from your? (Mac? PC?) and allow it to pull down your saved calendar data. See if that does it.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Yeah, I know it was a long shot, but ya never know. For all I know they would still receive an e-mail notification regarding my post...

Thanks for the iCloud advice (at least I got that much out of it ). I'll give it a try....

regards,

Ramsy
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Well, that went over well . My iphone (model MA712LL is a 2G I think) is still running op iOS 3.1.2 and I would need 5 for iCloud to work!!

Any other ideas perhaps? How about converting the "calendar.sqlitedb" file I found in the phone using iPhoneBrowser, to an Outlook or google calendar format?

PS:I have a PC running on Windows7