Workers push Apple to end iPhone supplier's exploitation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Just research the Japanese diet (most of it still isn't Westernized) and the cancer rates in Japan. In Okinawa, for example, there is no such thing as a mammogram. Hardly any cancer.

The traditional Japanese kitchen is unsurpassed in terms of the healthful foods used.

Barring certain cultures and tribes in remote areas, the Japanese are the longest-lived industrialized people on Earth.

Most medical conditions aren't reported in japan.

People are afraid to go to the doctor because for the most part the doctors won't tell you if something is really wrong.

Nothing life threatening such as cancer, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Japan is our favorite country and we would move there as soon as the opportunity presented itself. I was there in the Navy, on Honshu, and loved it. The people are very real and honest. Only in Japan can you leave your wallet in a phone booth and have someone come 3 hours all the way to my navy base to return it, with no cash missing, but your statement is uninformed, I must point out.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They sell a lot of cigarettes in Japan. Tribes in remote area don't usually have a very long life expectancy.

From WHO

http://www.wpro.who.int/media_centre...s_20020528.htm

About 51% of men smoke in Japan - this figure has dropped from the 1980s, but it is still very high for a developed nation.

Prevalence of smoking among women, once considered almost taboo, has risen dramatically in the last decade to nearly 10%.

Japan's Finance Ministry is a major shareholder in Japan Tobacco, a multinational.

A survey in the early 1990s found that 44% of male physicians smoke in Japan.

With 500,000 cigarette vending machines, the young can easily buy cigarettes.

It's estimated that about one in eight deaths is due to smoking, (about 100,000 deaths a year). Smoking may also contribute to four of the five leading causes of death.

Lung cancer is the leading cancer, with more than 50,000 deaths a year.

More Japanese men die of lung cancer than suicide. The rate of lung cancer deaths is 46 per 100,000 people while the suicide rate is 30 per 100,000.

Japan has some of the weakest anti-tobacco laws for a developed nation, with few smoke-free public areas.

The cigarettes they sell have charcoal filters about a half inch thick. It's like smoking paper and they all taste the same. The only thing with flavor is Gudang Garum's commonly known as clove cigarettes. They are also the only thing without those filters.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

If I just witnessed a large percentage of coworkers laid off, yet I was still employed by the same company, I would work extra hard out of gratitude for even having a job still.

"Oh, thank you for hitting me on the head with a hammer most honorable boss! Please hit me again! I am so grateful that you continue to employ me that these blows to my body are completely forgivable and acceptable!"

• Reply 44 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Here's the most recent fromt the WHO. Japan and San Marino are tops.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...8xWBwD98AOR2O5

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000b.htm

Japan ranks near the highest. I guuss you were looking at a similar list.

http://web-japan.org/trends/lifestyle/lif031121.html

And again.

I don't pull random things out of the air around here.

Actually I was basing my remarks on this web page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ife_expectancy
  • Reply 45 of 86
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Yeah,when china does what Japand did, Lee Iaccoca will raise from his grave and tell everyone to Buy American. Maybe American should never have started globalization.

At least Apple hasnt moved to the Cayman Islands.

Lee! Hey, Lee! What are you doing, taking a snooze in that grave? Reports of your passing are being greatly exaggerated.

Tomorrow, we'll have Congress pass a law banning globalization. The day after, we'll get them to repeal gravity.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

It started with "Most Favored Nation" trading status given to China back in the 70's and continued through the Bush Administration. This despite the blatant failure of the Chinese government to enforce copyright and patin protections as well as their human rights abuses, currency manipulation, and closed markets.

The problem for China, and they are paying for it now, is that when the US consumer market dwindles they do not have enough of a native consumer market to keep their economy stabilized. To solve this they are going to have to make more of an effort to increase their middle class, which means increasing pay. This in turn means losing jobs to other countries as their labor costs rise.

well i do wish for a level playing field for american workers
  • Reply 47 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    gudang garams are Indonesian.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

The cigarettes they sell have charcoal filters about a half inch thick. It's like smoking paper and they all taste the same. The only thing with flavor is Gudang Garum's commonly known as clove cigarettes. They are also the only thing without those filters.

Nokia and other phone makers make a lot more phones in China than Apple does, so why are Apple singled out?
  • Reply 48 of 86
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Yeah,when china does what Japand did, Lee Iaccoca will raise from his grave and tell everyone to Buy American. Maybe American should never have started globalization.

At least Apple hasnt moved to the Cayman Islands.

Lee! Hey, Lee! What are you doing, taking a snooze in that grave? Reports of your passing are being greatly exaggerated.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    explains the poor quality of the iPhone 3G
  • Reply 50 of 86
    This is another issue I would like to have Apple focus on:

- - - The "conflict minerals" ? tin (cassiterite), tantalum (coltan or columbite-tantalite), and tungsten (wolframite) ? are moved from Congo to East Asia where they are processed into valuable metals needed for electronics products. This link between armed groups and the illicit mineral trade was also documented by a United Nations panel of experts in December 2008. - - -

Maybe Apple could make history in yet another field and start producing the world's first Fair Trade computer. I would pay more to have a better conscience.

There are kids being raped and all at the moment as they fight for the resources that are put into our pockets and desktops to provide us with fresh geekgasms.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    For every phone Apple made last year Nokia made forty...

...again, why single out Apple?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

This is another issue I would like to have Apple focus on:

- - - The "conflict minerals" ? tin (cassiterite), tantalum (coltan or columbite-tantalite), and tungsten (wolframite) ? are moved from Congo to East Asia where they are processed into valuable metals needed for electronics products. This link between armed groups and the illicit mineral trade was also documented by a United Nations panel of experts in December 2008. - - -

Maybe Apple could make history in yet another field and start producing the world's first Fair Trade computer. I would pay more to have a better conscience.

There are kids being raped and all at the moment as they fight for the resources that are put into our pockets and desktops to provide us with fresh geekgasms.

• Reply 52 of 86
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Apple appears to be reacting in similar fashion to the newest charges. Although the iPhone maker said it doesn't comment on its internal supplier relationships, spokeswoman Jill Tan made clear that Apple regularly audits all of its suppliers and that it would force any contractor to take "corrective actions" if they were found breaching Apple's code of conduct.

We want a copy of Apple's code of conduct. Given the high price of iPhones, and Apple's unusual profit margins, are we paying for the billion dollar stock options or decent work conditions for Chinese workers?

Apple is a decent company, is it not???

• Reply 53 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

For every phone Apple made last year Nokia made forty...

...again, why single out Apple?

Not singling anyone out. But I would enjoy seeing Apple take the first step. As they are good at taking first steps.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Here's the most recent fromt the WHO. Japan and San Marino are tops.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...8xWBwD98AOR2O5

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000b.htm

Japan ranks near the highest. I guuss you were looking at a similar list.

http://web-japan.org/trends/lifestyle/lif031121.html

And again.

I don't pull random things out of the air around here.

The one problem with that is that Japan has no fish left and it's boats have to go a long way to get any. If everyone in the world had the Japanese diet there'd be no fish left in the world.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Hey, things can't be that bad - they've got enough money to buy a MacBook Pro. <bada bump>

Thank you, folks! I'll be here all weekend. Shows at 9 and 11.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    801801 Posts: 271member
    I have enjoyed this discussion. Article is about worker abuse in Taiwan and you guys are debating the Japanese Diet ( food diet, not national congress) and cigarette consumption. That's the American way guys, curve the debate into something that has nothing to do with the issue.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    The biggest step anyone can take is recycling to get all their old phones out of drawers and cupboards and back into the system, Apple has a recycling program in place does it not?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenheaven View Post

Not singling anyone out. But I would enjoy seeing Apple take the first step. As they are good at taking first steps.

• Reply 58 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm really sick of having everything made in China. Apple is a US company. I think their products should be made in the US. Let China develop their own brands and design their own products, like Japan does. China's contract industries have a really bad reputation for cheating and underhanded business practices. And I certainly don't trust their government.

I have several Chinese friends here in the US and many of them say the same thing about China.

But the blame isn't all theirs. The greed of many US corporations has forced everyone to send manufacturing jobs to China in order to stay competitive. It is a downward spiral that will be difficult to reverse.

Not really a matter of greed of the US corporations, more of a matter of greed of the US consumer and the greed of China, they keep their labor costs low in order to bring the jobs to them. If they were to move the jobs to the US to manufacture these computers, we will once again see the days of $10,000 computers. US corporations are taxed in this country at a rate of 43%, the US government, by mandate of the voters has essentially taxed the corporations out of this country, the government and citizens seem to think that large corporations are just Giant piggybanks for everyone to hold their hands out to. US corporations have to move offshore in order to survive, not to get rich. This global economy is dependant upon ALL parties involved, there is plenty of blame to go on EVERYONE for situations such as this.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    >> But we, as consumers are also at fault, since we voraciously consume these products, which in turn makes them feel justified in these practices in order to sate our appetites and their own slave labour subsidized pockets.

As consumers, our job is to consume products that give us the best value. Luckily, most consumers do not specifically value products that have the same national origin as themselves, and thus globalism works.

Now, economics is a science of big picture thinking. So we need to ask: are those employees better off than they were without those jobs? Since those jobs are optional (and aren't subsidized by the public), we can say yes.

Win-win-win for all people involved.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The biggest step anyone can take is recycling to get all their old phones out of drawers and cupboards and back into the system, Apple has a recycling program in place does it not?

But are these conflict minerals recyclable? What is Apple actually recycling? I suppose aluminum if nothing else.