AT&T considering lower-cost, capped data for iPhone, others

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If they could make a special plan for me I'd take about 200 minutes with about 1 GB of data per month for around $30-$40. But the world doesn't revolve around me so I guess it doesn't matter.

I don't really make a lot of phone calls because of AT&T's crappy coverage. I actually use mine more for the internet than anything else. And I mean internet where there isn't WiFi available so no, an iPod Touch wouldn't be a better solution.

I've heard something similar expressed before - getting an iPhone with data plan only. I wish I could get my iPod touch with a data plan too. If the device could remain thin like the Touch with a data only plan, that would be incredible.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

and when that is went over, you get charged the $20 (or whatever it is) but you then become an unlimited user for the month, a text or email is sent to you and you are made aware of that fact.

[?]

I posted the same marketing tactic above at post #16. I also added that this would help pull people to the carrier and keep them if they had peace of mind of ?honest? ceiling on their monthly charges. I also suggested that Telcos could charge a nominal fee for the tier increase, which is considerably cheaper than grossly going over your account limit. I think it?s a win-win for the carrier and customer.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

at this point they can't. contract and all that. not to mention the issue of not all carriers use GSM and Apple's not likely to waste the time and money on making a CDMA supporting model of the phone.

however, if ATT has any smarts they are going to do something with the rates or risk losing folks when they can legally move companies. I actually like the idea of a low use data plan for those that are more often on wifi for checking email and such. Toss in the old free 200 messages text plan from iphone1 and knock unlimited down to $10-15 and they could have something worth sticking with while they deal with coverage and such

I'm aware of the technology and the contract situations however, Apple needs to stop renewing the darn thing and offer an alternative communication chipset for other providers. AT&T is choking every penny out the device, everytime I go to the AT&T store I'm told "... well you can get these phones they support tethering", and now "...you can get this device it supports a slingplayer."
  • Reply 44 of 54
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are mixing some stuff here. AT&T has partnered with Apple so you can?t just buy a cellphone anymore and tether it to your PC without the carrier?s knowledge. There was no software built into the iPhone to allow it the earlier and current versions of iPhone OS X. With version 3.0 there will be the ability to tether your iPhone, I do it all the time but it will surely be locked up before launch and will require you to pay extra for tethering. I?d guess about $30/month more to equal the current $60/month unlimited data plan AT&T sells for PC connections. This will save me money eveery month.

The other thing about whether the iPhone is a phone or a computer is silly. It?s both. And don?t be daft and say that it can?t be both. Cellphones have not evolved very quickly since the release of the iPhone and their new wording (which is still poorly worded) covers the iPhone and every other smartphone they sell and will sell in the future. The networks are much faster, the phone HW much more powerful and the software more capable that they are using a lot more data than every before. Now that the iPhone has made it mandatory that a smartphone can?t just be business or geek gadget, but must have media capabilities, streaming video is a must. Before I had tethering I used 3-10GB a month on my iPhone, now I?m used over 80GB last month.

You can say that you paid for unlimited data so you can do whatever the hell you want with it, but you also would have signed a contract stating that you won?t do certain things. The alternative for AT&T is to actually use the 5GB soft cap (which they?ve never enforced on me) or to simply charge a lot more for the data assuming you are going to use it out of contract anyway.

Whatever, 80GBs on a crappy 3G network!!!!... The truth is most people will use tethering only when Wifi is not available, like in coffee shops and at an airport, actually nowadays even those two venues have Wifi so that leaves us with being on the road or at a restaurant?
  • Reply 45 of 54
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Do data plans include MMS texting and Pics? Or is that an additional charge? And if you receive these text message and pics - are you charged individually per message received if you decline MMS?

Just asking if anybody knows of any other carrier's policies.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm aware of the technology and the contract situations however, Apple needs to stop renewing the darn thing and offer an alternative communication chipset for other providers. AT&T is choking every penny out the device, everytime I go to the AT&T store I'm told "... well you can get these phones they support tethering", and now "...you can get this device it supports a slingplayer."

1) AT&T is trying to extract as much money as they can from the iPhone, but they have a hot device and the subsidy is very high for a phone. The device for retails for about $600 and you pay $200. I?d rather pay more up front but have a lower month bill, but that isn?t how the average person likes to do their finances.

2) v3.0 will have tethering, for a fee. Probably in the realm of their data cards which are $60 a month. Tethering a HSUPA iPhone will save me $30/month.

3) The other devices support SlingPlayer because their apps aren?t regulated. Like it or not, the overwhelming success of the App Store is due to Apple?s control which is also tied to their partners at this point. This is also why you aren?t being nickle-and-dimed for things like Visual Voicemail and were able to get unlimited data for $20/month when the US industry standard at the time was $40-$50. It sucks that this also results in losing some control but you have to take the good with the bad. I?m sure that you can get SlingPlayer installed in jailbroken iPhone shortly. I may do just that if my SlingBox will work with their iPhone app.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

Whatever, 80GBs on a crappy 3G network!!!!... The truth is most people will use tethering only when Wifi is not available, like in coffee shops and at an airport, actually nowadays even those two venues have Wifi so that leaves us with being on the road or at a restaurant?

1) You may not think 80GB is a lot but from a cell network in the US it is pretty substantial.

2) I prefer not to use public WiFi because it is less secure than using a dedicated connection to my ISP.

3) My AT&T 3G is considerably faster, in most cases, than using public WiFi which is usually saturated with other users bottlenecking the router and their bandwidth. I average over 1Mb down and 1Mb up on AT&T?s 3G. I only get faster speeds in some hotels, usually the crappier ones where they don?t charge for it, use WiFi over wiring because it?s easier to set up and have less people on the network.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    Forget the cell data. Give me a touch with a cell phone embedded, with an option for no data plan. I can live with getting data over wifi only, or at least put a switch in it to do so. No, it does not make ATT scads of money. But they would keep my business on the next renewal, which I am loathe to do at present, as their performance has been nothing spectacular. ATT will get my renewal only for features (iPhone as mentioned) or price (which seems to be a dead heat between the big three.)
  • Reply 49 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I think the trend is away from free internet. The three airports I've been to last month all had pay-for WiFi. I wonder if restaurants and coffee shops might gradually reduce their free WiFi availability. I wouldn't be surprised if they start time limiting access to make sure people cycle through, especially during their rush hours. WiFi is intended to be a perk, but you get people that might (if they're feeling generous) buy a coffee and occupy a table for an hour when non Wi-Fi customers don't stick around for ten minutes.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think the trend is away from free internet.

Not sure. Very few airports have ever offered free internet access, at least none I have ever been in. They were among the first covered by the pay-to-play services, and of course you're a totally captive audience, and the airports no doubt collect a franchise fee, so there's no incentive for them to change this. Many restaurants and the like will probably continue to offer free wifi to attract customers, but it remains to be seen for how long. As more and more people get access via the cellular networks, wifi may become less relevant.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I've heard something similar expressed before - getting an iPhone with data plan only. I wish I could get my iPod touch with a data plan too. If the device could remain thin like the Touch with a data only plan, that would be incredible.

i am confused ??? the touch has a data plan or no ??
  • Reply 52 of 54
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i am confused ??? the touch has a data plan or no ??

Nope. Why would it? No radio means WiFi only, and nobody's going to pay for a "plan" to use their own WiFi.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I posted the same marketing tactic above at post #16. I also added that this would help pull people to the carrier and keep them if they had peace of mind of ?honest? ceiling on their monthly charges. I also suggested that Telcos could charge a nominal fee for the tier increase, which is considerably cheaper than grossly going over your account limit. I think it?s a win-win for the carrier and customer.

Sorry, I hadn't read through the thread, just posted in a hurry as I was trying to get out the door at the time

I really don't understand the thinking behind the crazy amounts the telcos have traditionally charged for wireless data EXCEPT FOR GREED.

I guess I'm not motivated by greed

being treated fairly, as you say, would attract custom AND loyalty, isn't that what the telcos want? oh well.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Sorry, I hadn't read through the thread, just posted in a hurry as I was trying to get out the door at the time

I really don't understand the thinking behind the crazy amounts the telcos have traditionally charged for wireless data EXCEPT FOR GREED.

I guess I'm not motivated by greed

being treated fairly, as you say, would attract custom AND loyalty, isn't that what the telcos want? oh well.

I wasn?t berating you for posted a similarly after me, just pointing out that we are on the same page.

I truly think that it would be a win for the first carrier to do this, even though they?d lose some of those excessive overage payments. I know some people over the years that have dumped carriers after getting huge bills and can?t go back until they pay off their debt. Peace of mind goes a long way to keeping a customer.