32GB iPhone listed as AT&T trade-in; Rogers preps for launch

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Cook and Jobs must be boiling mad.

    Is there no end to AT&T's ineptitude?



    I would seriously doubt this is even legitimate.



    Here is the info for the domain register. Doesn't even look close to legit and why would AT&T not run it from their own Domain?



    This sounds like a SCAM to get you to enter your user name and password.



    TRADEUPS.COM - Domain Information

    Domain TRADEUPS.COM [ Traceroute RBL/DNSBL lookup ]

    Registrar NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.

    Registrar URL http://www.networksolutions.com

    Whois server whois.networksolutions.com

    Created 17-Jul-1999

    Updated 11-Jul-2008

    Expires 17-Jul-2009

    Time Left 54 days 3 hours 32 minutes

    Status clientTransferProhibited

    DNS servers MNS1.SECURESERVER.NET 64.202.165.173

    MNS2.SECURESERVER.NET 208.109.255.34



    TRADEUPS.COM - Geo Information

    IP Address 66.117.39.19

    Host tradeups.com

    Location US, United States

    City Ashburn, VA 20146

    Organization Reston Tech

    ISP Carpathia Hosting
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan View Post


    I would seriously doubt this is even legitimate.



    Here is the info for the domain register. Doesn't even look close to legit and why would AT&T not run it from their own Domain?



    This sounds like a SCAM to get you to enter your user name and password.



    TRADEUPS.COM - Domain Information

    Domain TRADEUPS.COM [ Traceroute RBL/DNSBL lookup ]

    Registrar NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.

    Registrar URL http://www.networksolutions.com

    Whois server whois.networksolutions.com

    Created 17-Jul-1999

    Updated 11-Jul-2008

    Expires 17-Jul-2009

    Time Left 54 days 3 hours 32 minutes

    Status clientTransferProhibited

    DNS servers MNS1.SECURESERVER.NET 64.202.165.173

    MNS2.SECURESERVER.NET 208.109.255.34



    TRADEUPS.COM - Geo Information

    IP Address 66.117.39.19

    Host tradeups.com

    Location US, United States

    City Ashburn, VA 20146

    Organization Reston Tech

    ISP Carpathia Hosting



    If you look up http://tradeups.com you can see that this isnt related to anything for AT&T or RIM.



    I pity anyone who falls for this and puts their information in this sight thinking they are logging into their AT&T account.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Next to none of these phones will be sold in Canada.

    Remember that Rogers requires your first born and a 3 year contract.

    People who bought an iPhone in Canada will have to wait another 2 years before they can upgrade.



    Oh, Rogers is now charging for incoming text messages, even if it's spam.



    What a wonderful company they are. I have 2 friends who chucked their iPhones for BlackBerries. They said it wasn't because of the iPhone itself really, they just needed a phone that worked and Rogers can't provide that. \
  • Reply 24 of 55
    milner99milner99 Posts: 1member
    Everyone seems to be missing the fact that there's a 4GB iPhone there as well!?



    Currently there's no 4gb iPhone and the blog sphere has mentioned the possibility of a iPhone Lite...could that be it!?
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milner99 View Post


    Everyone seems to be missing the fact that there's a 4GB iPhone there as well!?



    Currently there's no 4gb iPhone and the blog sphere has mentioned the possibility of a iPhone Lite...could that be it!?



    No, this list is models someone could trade in, and since there was once a 4GB iPhone, it's on the list.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,153member
    I was in a local Apple store today getting my MacBook power adapter replaced. They have buy one any iPhone 3G cover and get the other one free offer. Sound to me like they are trying to get rid of their current iPhone covers. But if the next iPhone have the same form factor why would they do that?
  • Reply 27 of 55
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    I was in a local Apple store today getting my MacBook power adapter replaced. They have buy one any iPhone 3G cover and get the other one free offer. Sound to me like they are trying to get rid of their current iPhone covers. But if the next iPhone have the same form factor why would they do that?



    Uhhh... Because it won't?
  • Reply 28 of 55
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post


    Next to none of these phones will be sold in Canada.

    Remember that Rogers requires your first born and a 3 year contract.

    People who bought an iPhone in Canada will have to wait another 2 years before they can upgrade.



    Oh, Rogers is now charging for incoming text messages, even if it's spam.



    What a wonderful company they are. I have 2 friends who chucked their iPhones for BlackBerries. They said it wasn't because of the iPhone itself really, they just needed a phone that worked and Rogers can't provide that. \



    KNOW YOUR FACTS...



    1. ROGERS OFFERS A HARDWARE UPGRADE AFTER 2 YEARS INTO CONTRACT IF A SMARTPHONE



    OR 1 YEAR UPGRADE IF A REGULAR PHONE TO SMARTPHONE!



    2. Rogers charges for INCOMING SMS IF NO PLAN... 95% OF CANADIANS HAVE A PLAN...



    3. ROGERS HAS A FLAWLESS NETWORK UNLIKE AT&T. I used BELL AND TELUS and Rogers WINS!
  • Reply 29 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post


    Uhhh... Because it won't?



    That's what I thought but most "rumors" say that it will be the same. My guess is it won't. My guess is that Apple will add unnoticeable thickness to the device to increase the battery size and life.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    ordinary stupid error... Just rubbish in their database...
  • Reply 31 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post


    Next to none of these phones will be sold in Canada.

    Remember that Rogers requires your first born and a 3 year contract.

    People who bought an iPhone in Canada will have to wait another 2 years before they can upgrade.



    Oh, Rogers is now charging for incoming text messages, even if it's spam.



    What a wonderful company they are. I have 2 friends who chucked their iPhones for BlackBerries. They said it wasn't because of the iPhone itself really, they just needed a phone that worked and Rogers can't provide that. \



    You will be able to upgrade before your contract ends, just like you can with any other cell phone.



    Rogers is not now charging for incoming text messages (TM).*†
    • Until July 7, 2009

    • Spam is free

    • Incoming text messages are free if you, and most customers already are, have TM bundled in your cellphone plan

    Considering that my iPhone 3G plan is significantly cheaper, better and faster than AT&T. I am not charged for incoming TMs like AT&T does. My iPhone is working beautifully and better than any other cell phone or service I have ever had or used in nearly 30 years. I endorse it and Rogers whole heartedly.



    But who am I to complain. I don't have a iPhone like you don't to compare it with. FAH.



    * http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...t_msging#start

    http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...gers-text.html



    P.S. NN. Nobody in Canada has to pay for spam messages. "The government's anti-spam bill, introduced last month (April, 2009), also includes new enforcement measures to prevent telecommunications companies from charging customers fees for receiving unsolicited commercial text messages."†
  • Reply 32 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    That's what I thought but most "rumors" say that it will be the same. My guess is it won't. My guess is that Apple will add unnoticeable thickness to the device to increase the battery size and life.



    Or it could be due to a new button/control on its side which would make the old covers obsolete. Like when the iPod Touch changed from 1st gen to 2nd gen-the old covers don't work due to the volume control. Maybe there is a new camera/video button.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    That's what I thought but most "rumors" say that it will be the same. My guess is it won't. My guess is that Apple will add unnoticeable thickness to the device to increase the battery size and life.



    I hope that they use a denser battery design. I?m not sure if silver-zinc battery tech is mature enough or even feasible in a flat design like polymer batteries are, but the iPhone?s high price does seem to warrant the use of a more expensive battery type if it is possible.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    You will be able to upgrade before your contract ends, just like you can with any other cell phone.



    Rogers is not now charging for incoming text messages (TM).*?
    • Until July 7, 2009

    • Spam is free

    • Incoming text messages are free if you, and most customers already are, have TM bundled in your cellphone plan

    Considering that my iPhone 3G plan is significantly cheaper, better and faster than AT&T. I am not charged for incoming TMs like AT&T does. My iPhone is working beautifully and better than any other cell phone or service I have ever had or used in nearly 30 years. I endorse it and Rogers whole heartedly.



    But who am I to complain. I don't have a iPhone like you don't to compare it with. FAH.



    * http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...t_msging#start

    ? http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...gers-text.html



    P.S. NN. Nobody in Canada has to pay for spam messages. "The government's anti-spam bill, introduced last month (April, 2009), also includes new enforcement measures to prevent telecommunications companies from charging customers fees for receiving unsolicited commercial text messages."?



    The rest of the world has always thought it odd that the US gets charged for incoming calls and texts, but this is a trend that seems to slowly be catching on? unfortunately.



    How do you get reimbursed for spam? Do you have to call the telco, go through the automated system, wait on hold and then explain to a CSR to have it taken off?
  • Reply 34 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I hope that they use a denser battery design. I?m not sure if silver-zinc battery tech is mature enough or even feasible in a flat design like polymer batteries are, but the iPhone?s high price does seem to warrant the use of a more expensive battery type if it is possible.



    If denser means adding more weight than I doubt it.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    If denser means adding more weight than I doubt it.



    When referring to a battery’s density, in this context, means energy density.





    edit:

    Some interesting tidbits from Wikipedia’s silver-oxide page…
    This technology had the highest energy density (prior to lithium technologies) […]



    More recently, the company ZPower has introduced a new line of rechargeable silver-zinc batteries to compete with lithium-ion batteries. The claims include an energy density of 200Wh/kg, complete non-flammability, and no toxic chemicals. To offset the high price of silver, the company plans to offer a trade-in policy to recycle all of it. Intel’s venture arm, Intel Capital, has provided the company with financial backing. ZPower claims that an undisclosed "major manufacturer" of laptop computers will introduce its silver-zinc battery in a new line of laptops in 2009. (likely Lenovo or Apple Inc.)
    … and comparisons from the energy density link supplied above…
    Battery type: Lithium-ion

    Energy density by mass (MJ/kg): 0.46-0.54

    Energy density by volume (MJ/L): 0.83-0.9



    Battery type: Silver-oxide

    Energy density by mass (MJ/kg): 0.47

    Energy density by volume (MJ/L): 1.8
    As you can see the weight of the battery would be about the same, give or take a little, for a battery encompassing the same space, but would have an extended mAh for that size and weight compared to Li.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    How do you get reimbursed for spam? Do you have to call the telco, go through the automated system, wait on hold and then explain to a CSR to have it taken off?



    You don't get charged in the first place.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    You don't get charged in the first place.



    then they?d have to figure out it?s spam after the fact otherwise they could just have their SMS servers not send out the spam to begin with.



    You should have everyone you text with start the message with a spam message so you can have all of them removed, too.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The rest of the world has always thought it odd that the US gets charged for incoming calls and texts, but this is a trend that seems to slowly be catching on? unfortunately.



    How do you get reimbursed for spam? Do you have to call the telco, go through the automated system, wait on hold and then explain to a CSR to have it taken off?



    The rest of the world doesn't know that it's a "theoretical" problem that doesn't exist in real life.



    Don't you think that the class action lawsuit happy Americans would have flooded the American courts for the last 10 years if they were charged for incoming sales calls or spam?



    Sure, there will be a couple of sales calls that might get through the system and you might get charged for it. But Europeans who oppose the American way of charging incoming calls --- is penny wise and dollar stupid. Except the UK iphone monthly plan, every single European country have a much more expensive iphone plan.



    Another penny wise and dollar stupid reaction --- is how Belgium people thinks that the end of anti-bundling is bad for consumers. The European Court of Justice ruled (on 2 cases that have NOTHING to do with mobile phones) last month that Belgium's broad anti-bundling law must be strucken down. The first case was a gas station case, they had a promotion where you gas up your car with a full tank --- they give you 3 weeks of free emergency towing service. The second case was a magazine having a coupon for a few euros off a lingerie. With this law strucken down, a million things will get cheaper in Belgium and maybe one thing (your mobile phone) will get more expensive. Yet these people have the classic penny wise and dollar stupid reaction.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post


    The rest of the world doesn't know that it's a "theoretical" problem that doesn't exist in real life.



    No, no, this problem doesn't exist in our real life, that is in the real life of people outside the U.S.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    No, no, this problem doesn't exist in our real life, that is in the real life of people outside the U.S.



    French people talking about consumer rights and benefits is an oxymoron.



    France has 3 national carriers, all French owned, zero foreign carriers have a foothold into the French mobile service market. Another classic penny wise and dollar stupid moment --- French regulators micro-managing when/how simlock should be removed and disallowing the iphone exclusivity.



    You want cheaper mobile tarriffs and better handset pricing in France --- add a 4th national carrier license (and allow foreign companies).
Sign In or Register to comment.