Apple updates white MacBook with faster processor and memory

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Do you view the world with glossy inducing glasses?

Did you grow up reading printed text with a sheet of glass between you and it?

Matte screens actually degrade the picture being shown, it's just that they reduce the specularity and reflectance of the display a lot, so in certain situations they're better. Glass lets light straight through without a matte diffusion on the surface.

With a hood and suitably positioned lighting, a glossy display will be very nice. For a basement dweller who sits in the dark, similar. Nasty if you want to work on the train, in a pub/cafe, typical office with sunlight and strip lights and loud shirts...
  • Reply 42 of 77
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Do you view the world with glossy inducing glasses?

Did you grow up reading printed text with a sheet of glass between you and it?

Did you complain about your glossy TV screen and all the CRT monitors you stared at for years? Did you demand that all TV and CRT manufacturers should make their screens with a matte finish to make you happy. No one cares about your rant about glossy screens. Macworld just published a survey...more people preferred the glossy screen. You grew up reading printed text with a sheet of glass over it. I assume you did use computers before LCD screens.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Tell her not to drop it and it won't break. It is not a widespread problem. I have a three year old white MacBook in mint condition, no scratches, no chips. Stop complaining about glossy screens because almost all PC laptops have glossy screens, and have used them much longer than Apple. 300 miles to an Apple Store? Where does she live? Any authorized Apple Service Center will determine if her damaged MacBook is warranty-related. Since she is reluctant to send it to Apple for service, tells me that she dropped it. Pieces don't just fall off. The complaints that you found, are from people that don't know how to take care of things, and try to blame others for their own stupidity. It is a laptop. You can't throw them around like a book.

I really have no idea what people are doing with their Apple hardware. All this talk of chips, parts falling off, mysterious cracks, etc., etc. I have no idea what any of this means. I've gone through several Apple products since switching back to Apple in April 2006. They all look like new, or have looked like new before they were sold on. Stuff doesn't just crack or fall off. It sounds ridiculous. Even after doing user-serviceable upgrades, things still looked great on the applicable products.

The small minority with problems seem to like blowing their issues out of proporttion in order to make it seem like the problem is widepspread. It's often an effective way to garner sympathy, and gives people an opportunity to claim Apple isn't perfect or whatnot, because they had some bad luck with an Apple product, or, as is often the case, put it through undue wear and tear.

Except the average reported numbers, in the media, by private outlets, by others, never seem to support their moaning. Apple leads in customer satisfatction - often by a wide margin, for several years now. Apple hardware is always coveted, always tops on bestseller lists. Everything else invariably gets compared to Apple goodness. This is no accident. It's no accident that Apple customers tend to stay Apple customers.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Tell her not to drop it and it won't break. It is not a widespread problem.i

Oh, but it is. Seven of eight macbook owners I can remember (including me) have had their top case cracked (not sure about the eight), and Apple acknowledges the problem and repairs it out of warranty.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Typo,

should have been 2 year old MacBook Pro, not 5 year.

my bad, thanks for catching it all.

No Problem! I have a MBP myself that will be two years old in July. What brand of HD did you get? I'm thinking about upgrading to a 320 Gb, 7200 rpm drive later this summer.

Apologies to everyone else for the off-topic post.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

While it's a nice deal, I'm guessing this is the last update to the white plastic MacBook. They might very well retire them right after their Back to School promotions, especially if they end up offering subsidized MacBooks/Pros with built-in 3G WWAN antennas and sold with a 2 year contract. I've been seeing a lot of Verizon's ads for their netbooks, which are priced at $199. With a contract, we could see MacBooks in the $500-$600 range. They'd still allow you to buy a standard MacBook unsubsidized sans mobile internet service/contract like they sell the iPod touch as basically an iPhone sans phone/service.

this is onsale for ever mode

like the ipod 120g classic .

the white mac book hits a very sweet spot

and apple sells a ton of them .

peace

• Reply 47 of 77
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

No Problem! I have a MBP myself that will be two years old in July. What brand of HD did you get? I'm thinking about upgrading to a 320 Gb, 7200 rpm drive later this summer.

dude back off

get the samsung 500g triple drive . i did . its wonderful . 2.5 in size

some models can hold the new 1TB drives . 3.5 in i think .\\\\

Peace

back ON topic

you can up grade the new white book to 4 g and 500 G HARD DRIVE

500 g

wow

peace

• Reply 48 of 77
    a_hnaua_hnau Posts: 26member
    Boo! UK store site not updated...
  • Reply 49 of 77
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [QUOTE

hillstones;1422428

Quote:

Did you complain about your glossy TV screen and all the CRT monitors you stared at for years?

1.) No- how and why would I complain about something if I never had a matte version of it in the first place?

Quote:

Did you demand that all TV and CRT manufacturers should make their screens with a matte finish to make you happy.

No because I'm not that stupid and know that glass is inherent in CRT(ube) technology.

Quote:

No one cares about your rant about glossy screens.

You obviously do- why else would you write back?

Quote:

Macworld just published a survey...more people preferred the glossy screen.

Did it ever occur to you that that may be because all current Macs are GLOSSY except the 17" Pro?

Quote:

You grew up reading printed text with a sheet of glass over it. I assume you did use computers before LCD screens.

No I didn't. I'm a dinosaur and actually read off of paper which actually still exists in books, magazines ,ad newspapers.

The only one of them that is glossy is magazines and from my guess that's where you get all your non-intellectual information.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I am planning in getting 500GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HDD ($160 on macsales.com) for my MacBook Pro sometime late this summer. The jump from 250GB to 320GB is not worth it for me. I currently have less than 40GB of free space on my HDD and thats with more than 100GB of files on my Time Capsule to save space. Time Capsule is awesome
  • Reply 51 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Where's the line "Designed By Apple in California"??

Inside the box where it has always been.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    joshu24joshu24 Posts: 3member
    if they update the alum macbooks am gonna be pissed i just bought the 2.0 macbook alum about three months ago
  • Reply 53 of 77
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshu24 View Post

if they update the alum macbooks am gonna be pissed i just bought the 2.0 macbook alum about three months ago

I'm sure Apple will hold back the release of the new Al MacBooks if you ask them nicely.

is not nice. Apple may just hasten the update and load them all with 4GB standard. Just to piss you off.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I'm sure Apple will hold back the release of the new Al MacBooks if you ask them nicely.

is not nice. Apple may just hasten the update and load them all with 4GB standard. Just to piss you off.

If they add firewire as well to the update- then what would you do?
  • Reply 55 of 77
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

Some people are just rough with their toys.

And some products are the result of lax QC.

Quote:

I have a 1 year-old MacBook Pro with glossy screen, heavily used for video editing and software development, taken to lectures weekly as well as back and forth to work. Other than the paint on the display release button, it looks absolutely brand new.

So, because you didn't get stuck with a lemon, no one else has.

Quote:

Learn to take care of your stuff instead of whining.

• Reply 56 of 77
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

dude back off

get the samsung 500g triple drive . i did . its wonderful . 2.5 in size

some models can hold the new 1TB drives . 3.5 in i think .\\\\

Peace

back ON topic

you can up grade the new white book to 4 g and 500 G HARD DRIVE

500 g

wow

peace

• Reply 57 of 77
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

If they add firewire as well to the update- then what would you do?

Wait a minute.... There had to be 50 posts on this message board where posters claimed that it was physically impossible (in their estimation) to add Firewire to the unibody MacBooks.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    yakkowyakkow Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Tell her not to drop it and it won't break. It is not a widespread problem. I have a three year old white MacBook in mint condition, no scratches, no chips.

It is actually a widespread problem, and Apple is aware of it. I can vouch that they are covering it under AppleCare as a defect, NOT as abuse.

Mine chipped, got replaced, and is chipping again. I have NEVER dropped my MacBook or treated it roughly.

As for what's causing it, I don't know, but I know it's happened to a lot of people I know. The one thing we all have in common is that we all use carrying cases (sold by Apple) to transport our laptops around a lot. My guess is that the grooves in the top (screen) half of the case are pressing too hard on the bottom (palm rest) half of the case when it's being carried in a slim carrying case. Others have suggested it's a heat issue. But it's definitely a very real problem that Apple is aware of and that they're covering under warranty.

Personally, I think that's very much in Apple's favor. Their products aren't perfect - no one's are - but they stand behind them.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

I still treasure my 2.4GHz MacBook purchased well over a year ago now. Irrespective of the upgraded graphics and bus speed, Apple really are short-changing us on processor speed. The lowest speed now available should be something in the order of 2.6GHz, IMHO.

Only if notebook is your only computer (I guess).

Otherwise... slower CPU is less heat, quieter operation (slower fan speed), longer battery life, and (perceived) same speed in Internet browsing, email, reading ebooks/comics, typing text, watching movies... you name it.

As long as you do your video or photo batch editing elsewhere.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

See for yourself- Go to any Best Buy and look at the dents and noticeable scratches that would barely be visible on white plastics.

I'd still prefer scratches and other minor damage than cracks and falling-off pieces of plastic.

That being said, I was always wondering how well will such a huge piece of aluminium stand the test of time and everyday abuse. Aluminium has great look and feel, but is very easy to leave marks on - specially when you have such a big real estate to look after.

I have developed a habit to handle with care all my tech gadgets without even thinking about it so it is not much of a burden for me, but some of my friends are so careless it is amazing. You don't really need to be a genius to realise digital camera should not share the same pocket with your car keys... or that mobile phone is not the best beer bottle opener...

(Phone still works, by the way... but I'd rather put it out of misery...)

Back to the topic... Maybe that is why Apple is considering carbon-fibres for future Macs..?