Apple briefs staff on wireless iPhone movie and TV downloads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iTunes "TV" ?

Sounds like Apple is up to something. What kind of hardware has that word in it?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    I agree... it has to bemore than wifi video for training materials to appear. Maybe a RedBox type of service where you can load up on video and then watch either on iPhone/touch or on your TV?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Unless you're able to start watching the movie/tv show while it's downloading, there isn't much point to this since downloading over WiFi can take forever depending on the connection you're on (and public WiFi often isn't the greatest in the first place).

Not necessarily. You might be away from home and decide that you want to watch a movie later, start downloading it now, and when you want it, it's ready.

We don't yet know what the rez is with this. It would be interesting if you downloaded a rez for the phone, which would take much less time, but then when back at your computer, you would have the higher quality file download to that. If this were true, downloading for the phone might not take as long as you think.

I would go for that.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Means nothing to me, since I'm still trapped living in EDGE-land. AT&T has

forgotten me and my region. Well, I guess maybe I could drive to the

nearest McDonalds and send a text message to AT&T to ask them if I

can use the WiFi. Then I can order some fries while I download some

video.

Do what everyone else who bought an iPhone and who only has EDGE does?move.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The upper left picture looks very much like the screen of a twitter app (twitterfon?), but I don't understand why it would have that ad already, and I don't recall ads on it. But it's really late, if I care in the morning, I'll try to understand what's going on with a more alert mind.

Quote:

Unless you're able to start watching the movie/tv show while it's downloading, there isn't much point to this since downloading over WiFi can take forever depending on the connection you're on (and public WiFi often isn't the greatest in the first place).

Not only that, you're downloading something like 250MB per 20-some minute episode unless Apple offers some bitrate-reduced version for iPhone and hopefully instruct iTunes to download the regular bitrate from your computer one for computer use, kind of like how an HD download also gets you an SD copy too. The comparison to video podcasts and YouTube doesn't quite fly in my opinion, lots of video podcasts are a few minutes long, at least all the ones I subscribe to, the same goes for most YouTube videos, going to primarily 20+ and 40+ minute shows, possibly high bitrate ones at that, is quite a leap. iTunes does offer music videos though, so that's some short media that can be bought.

I don't recall iPhone downloading very quickly even over WiFi. Wouldn't the battery be dead or nearly dead before it's downloaded? The first impression that I got with that first image was that it might have been an app that tells your iTunes program on your computer to download it.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

That's what I never understood. In fact I wrote to Apple about this. Why can't you start watching what you've already downloaded? It's not like it's a scrambled-up file like a torrent download. Seems easy, Apple please do this.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

That's what I never understood. In fact I wrote to Apple about this. Why can't you start watching what you've already downloaded? It's not like it's a scrambled-up file like a torrent download. Seems easy, Apple please do this.

You can, I do it all the time, though it does appear that a certain amount of the file based on your download speed has to be complete before it lets you.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Can I download videos from Apple using my Palm Pre or BlackBerry Storm? Hell, no!

Apple is making it harder and harder not to buy an iPhone. I don't care how much hardware the competitors are throwing at the iPhone, it's this type of flexibility that is going to keep the iPhone and iPod Touch platform at least one step ahead.

I can certainly see some uses for that billion dollar server farm a couple of years down the road when it comes to using the 4G network. I can see Apple just having every newspaper, magazine, movie, TV show, book, and music company storing data on their servers and being able to summon it up on demand. What else could a facility that that size be used for except for archiving massive amounts of all types of media. Awesome.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Can I download videos from Apple using my Palm Pre or BlackBerry Storm? Hell, no!

Which is why I have no desire to buy downloadable videos from ANY provider. I don't want to be stuck watching only on Apple hardware, or Sony hardware, or Microsoft hardware, etc.

Quote:

Apple is making it harder and harder not to buy an iPhone. I don't care how much hardware the competitors are throwing at the iPhone, it's this type of flexibility that is going to keep the iPhone and iPod Touch platform at least one step ahead.

I don't know how you can call this flexibility. The only portable hardware that iTunes videos work on is Apple hardware. How exactly is that flexible?

Quote:

I can certainly see some uses for that billion dollar server farm a couple of years down the road when it comes to using the 4G network. I can see Apple just having every newspaper, magazine, movie, TV show, book, and music company storing data on their servers and being able to summon it up on demand. What else could a facility that that size be used for except for archiving massive amounts of all types of media. Awesome.

Yippie, an Apple-controlled monopoly on media content. [sarcasm]What an exciting future.[/sarcasm] Locked into a company that controls both the hardware and software and then the media content. Please tell me how that would be a good thing?
  • Reply 30 of 35
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I guess video "steams" are caused by videos coming into close contact with hotspots.

Is that a red tube thing ?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

archiving massive amounts .....

yes something wonderful is unfolding .

mega farms juicing nice white fluffy clouds.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Which is why I have no desire to buy downloadable videos from ANY provider. I don't want to be stuck watching only on Apple hardware, or Sony hardware, or Microsoft hardware, etc.

I don't know how you can call this flexibility. The only portable hardware that iTunes videos work on is Apple hardware. How exactly is that flexible?

Yippie, an Apple-controlled monopoly on media content. [sarcasm]What an exciting future.[/sarcasm] Locked into a company that controls both the hardware and software and then the media content. Please tell me how that would be a good thing?

Itunes is getting very large and it is growing even faster . So all your anti apple whines aside why should apple buy bandwidth from hp or google?

Why not own your own bandwidth ??

Apple controls no content at all.

Apple puts all the media file's from many places in one very cool location .

Apple makes a great machine for media playback and a great place to buy the media content from. And that is why they are so popular.

And if you want choice ? Fine

Buy a zune and DL from amazon or from Vernon music stores . There are many stores out there that sell music and movie's and there are dozens of mp3 players too . and i am sure DL podcasts from these places is a breeze .

Funny thing about the MS fan boys.They never see that dozens and dozens of p/c makers all using a single shabby OS . That my friend is a great lack of choice .

• Reply 33 of 35
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Funny thing about the MS fan boys.They never see that dozens and dozens of p/c makers all using a single shabby OS . That my friend is a great lack of choice .

So you prefer a business model that removes yet another choice (h/w). Brilliant logic!!!!!!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Funny thing about the MS fan boys.They never see that dozens and dozens of p/c makers all using a single shabby OS . That my friend is a great lack of choice.

The funny thing about Mac zealots is that the seem to lack basic English comprehension skills. Instead, anyone who dares say anything even remotely derogatory is immediately a "MS fanboy." I believe the last Microsoft product I purchased was a mouse and ironically it's the mouse that's now hooked up to my iMac because apparently Apple can't produce a decent mouse to save Steve Jobs' life.

Quote:

Itunes is getting very large and it is growing even faster . So all your anti apple whines aside why should apple buy bandwidth from hp or google?

Why not own your own bandwidth ??

When did I say anything about bandwidth?

Quote:

Apple controls no content at all.

Apple puts all the media file's from many places in one very cool location .

Fine, iTunes is a content distributor. Point is, I don't want Apple to be the only company I can buy content from. Simple enough for you? And if had bothered to actually understand my comments instead of flying instead of jumping into Apple Defense Force mode, I said I didn't like the idea whether it was Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Amazon or any other content distributor. I won't get behind ANY download service for video until the studios get off their butts and put together a common schema that all the particular download vendors can use.

Quote:

Apple makes a great machine for media playback and a great place to buy the media content from. And that is why they are so popular.

And I never said otherwise. All I said is that I don't want to be locked into that ecosystem which is what ALL current video download services do, tie the purchaser to a very narrow ecosystem.

Quote:

And if you want choice ? Fine

Buy a zune and DL from amazon or from Vernon music stores . There are many stores out there that sell music and movie's and there are dozens of mp3 players too . and i am sure DL podcasts from these places is a breeze .

I'm way ahead of you, bub. I never bought much DRM'ed music from iTunes (mostly it was to get the exclusive tracks) and besides some music videos (which don't have DRM), most of the TV shows I own were handed out for free by iTunes.

Please stop being an Apple zealot and actually read my comments next time...
  • Reply 35 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Still can't download paid videos from Apple using Apple hardware, that hasn't been announced, so it's best not to count those eggs as having hatched. It's not an edge, yet.

I'd still like to know how much battery power and time it takes to download a 250MB 20 minute TV episode using an iPhone OS device.

Until it's announced and actually tried in practice, I suggest not getting too excited. People get themselves overly excited on an Apple rumor and turn angry when the rumor doesn't pan out the way they hoped, and they go blind to what does get announced.