Photos purport to show new iPhone's autofocus camera, compass

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm not an authority on this, but it's my understanding that the Pre and the new Zune will use OLED, that several lesser known devices already do, and that the Riim devices will all use it or already do.

The fact that the "blacker blacks" will make the UI (which has a black background for this reason), fade into the front face of the device better is the main reason they should use it. You only have to see the new Zune demo to see what a great thing this is.

No matter how good Apple's screens are, if they don't have OLED, it's guaranteed that people will be talking about the "omission" all year until they fix it with the next generation. It would definitely be a distraction from the other aspects of the device and it's been a long time since you could say of any Apple product that it has a "lesser" screen than other products.

The beauty and quality of their screens has always been a big selling point for Apple computers of all stripes and one of their hallmark features. To have a crappier screen than the latest Microsoft dreck would be alarming if true.

The Pre doesn't exist yet. The Zune can't sell for shit (3%?). Even with an OLED screen, no one will buy it. Even Windows users are not flocking to it. No matter how good Apple products are, the people here always complain about something when a new product is released. All they do is bitch and complain. It is amazing how many people here have gotten their panties in a wad over an OLED screen, one that would only be 3.5" in size! The blacker blacks on a 3.5 inch screen?! It is a phone/iPod, not a 60" HDTV.

This might interest you...Sony's OLED Walkman in Japan:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/05/s...n-impressions/

Here is the clencher:

"So yeah, the OLED panel itself definitely lives up to the hype, but unfortunately we're not so sure a fancy display justifies the steep increase in price versus LCD-based rivals." (They estimate the converted price is $100 more than the iPod Touch. Are you ready for that with an iPhone?).

So if the iPhone includes an OLED screen, the number one complaint will be how expensive it is.

If everyone is begging so much for OLED, go out and buy one of these for $2,499. I am sure your BluRay movies will look great on an 11" screen!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158OLED...1.html?tp=9201
  • Reply 62 of 80
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm not an authority on this, but it's my understanding that the Pre and the new Zune will use OLED, that several lesser known devices already do, and that the Riim devices will all use it or already do.

The fact that the "blacker blacks" will make the UI (which has a black background for this reason), fade into the front face of the device better is the main reason they should use it. You only have to see the new Zune demo to see what a great thing this is.

No matter how good Apple's screens are, if they don't have OLED, it's guaranteed that people will be talking about the "omission" all year until they fix it with the next generation. It would definitely be a distraction from the other aspects of the device and it's been a long time since you could say of any Apple product that it has a "lesser" screen than other products.

The beauty and quality of their screens has always been a big selling point for Apple computers of all stripes and one of their hallmark features. To have a crappier screen than the latest Microsoft dreck would be alarming if true.

i'll take the iphone's apps over blacker blacks anyday. i've heard this nonsense for 10 years from home theater snobs and half the time i can't notice it. the other half the time i don't want to pay the ridiculous premiums on the equipment.

iphone is a hit because for the second time in it's history Apple came out with a great product that is the same price or cheaper than the competition.

with the app store you can find something to do anytime you have free time. with the pre and zune you will get to enjoy looking at a black screen and amazed at how black it is
  • Reply 63 of 80
    Thanks to skwoytek on MacRumors website we have a clear pic of the same type of phone.

• Reply 64 of 80
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex2016g View Post

...we have a clear pic of the same type of phone.

*cue wicked witch voice*

And more evidence to hang you with my pretty.

/voice

Fingers, possible prints and home location!

I though cars drove on the opposite side of the road in countries other than the US.?

Methinks SoCal. Blue trash can. Graffiti on the far right wall.

Guy walking is a bit dark skinned for a Chinese too.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I can’t find any geotagging with the photo, but I’ve never tried to find it before so I could have made a mistake, but California seems likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I though cars drove on the opposite side of the road in countries other than the US.?

Not much international travel, eh? The UK, Bermuda, Australia, and other countries that have a strong British influence or were under British rule, like Dutch side of Sint Marteen in the Caribbean, while the French side drives on the right, all drive on the left. The history of why is quite interesting.

edit: This site apparently has a complete list...
  • Reply 66 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not much international travel, eh?

Around the world, but about 25 years ago when I was young and spry.

I say this guy intercepted the new iPhones in a SoCal warehouse, the Chinese writing on the paper in the other photo's is wrapping paper.

Those don't look like Chinese fingers. Caucasian perhaps.

Low middle income neighborhood, guy is most likely a worker, perhaps a forklift operator.

Come Monday a police report will be filed when the break in/theft is discovered.

(thanks for the link BTW)
  • Reply 67 of 80
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually if my vocabulary was suitably stocked I'd be calling you all sorts of names. Frankly you have insulted anybody that has had to deal with a life threating disease. I hope other forum members take the above into account and suitably file all your postings. You really need to get in touch with humanity.

Dave

I wasn't saying anything to disrespect SJ, besides, I thought everyone said he was fine and it was just a hormone thing. Do you know something the rest of us do not?
  • Reply 68 of 80
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Not much international travel, eh? The UK, Bermuda, Australia, and other countries that have a strong British influence or were under British rule, like Dutch side of Sint Marteen in the Caribbean, while the French side drives on the right, all drive on the left. The history of why is quite interesting.

edit: This site apparently has a complete list...

Solipsism! How come you mentioned Bermuda, but not New Zealand??

I will NOT be talking to you in future...

*storms off*
  • Reply 69 of 80
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex2016g View Post

Thanks to skwoytek on MacRumors website we have a clear pic of the same type of phone.

If you scroll down a bit in the discussion that pic is posted in, the guy that posted it explains that he made the image in Keynote (?), then displayed it full screen on an iPhone and photographed that, just to show how easy it is to fake this kind of thing.

This is his original image here:

• Reply 70 of 80
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

This might interest you...Sony's OLED Walkman in Japan:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/05/s...n-impressions/

Here is the clencher:

"So yeah, the OLED panel itself definitely lives up to the hype, but unfortunately we're not so sure a fancy display justifies the steep increase in price versus LCD-based rivals." (They estimate the converted price is $100 more than the iPod Touch. Are you ready for that with an iPhone?).

So if the iPhone includes an OLED screen, the number one complaint will be how expensive it is.

Engadget's conclusions are out of date. The Walkman X-series players sell for exactly the same price as the comparative iPod touch models in North America and Europe. Sony's music players have always sold for a premium over other non-Apple brands, OLED or not.

If you want to see the difference in screen quality, check out this side-by-side look.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    What is that half circle around the speaker on the top of the iPhone in the CPU pic. My dream answer would be a fire button for games. but that is not very iPhone friendly of me.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Hey dude...

ALL phone cameras suck compared to today's standard for real cameras. Its not what they're meant for.

I use a Flip and understand that I'm trading off high quality for the fact that I actually use it.

I don't bitch that it doesn't match a $5K HD camera.

Get real dude.

But I was and I am still comparing the current iPhone, with its lack of: auto focus, flash and a high(er) resolution camera, with other phone camera's. And my conclusion was, and still is that other brands and models do a better job. Apple really didn't step in with a better camera for nothing. It's all about user demand.

And yes, most people keep comparing apples with oranges... but I'm not one of them. Maybe that is why I am invited, by Apple, and you not. Thank you.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Around the world, but about 25 years ago when I was young and spry.

Navy?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Solipsism! How come you mentioned Bermuda, but not New Zealand??

I will NOT be talking to you in future...

*storms off*

I just planned a trip go Bermuda; a cruise out of Boston. It's been a long tome since I've been to the South Pacific.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    OH, I think the new Zune HD is so much better, don't you?

LOL
  • Reply 75 of 80
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I'd be surprised if Apple didn't design the compass app to look more like their Safari icon.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    Quote:

Navy?

Yep, Europe, Med, Middle East, South Pacific, Asia, Oz, etc., anything more than that requires clearance and a "need to know"

Quote:

I just planned a trip go Bermuda; a cruise out of Boston. It's been a long tome since I've been to the South Pacific.

Boston is wonderful in the spring especially Back Bay, Copley Square. Lived in Hawaii for quite a many years when younger, surfed Pipeline, Sandys Beach, Waimanalo etc. Been or lived in all the other states: California (inside 1 Inf Lp too, sssh!), Oregon (go in summer), Washington etc., except Alaska.

Alaska I plan a cruise with the 5 day train ride in the interior and points in Canada, as soon as I can convince my old lady it's not cold there in the summer.

Far off topic, sorry.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randfee View Post

oh please guys....

these Apple spy photos are always crappy because they were shot using in iPhone!!!! gg

The camera is cursory, and always has been. It's a bell. a whistle. a 2mp camera is fine for me, considering EVERYTHING else I get with the iPhone.

If I had a nickel for every cool feature the iPhone has that blows away every other phone in the free market...

...then I'd have a big 'ole bag of nickels, Jack, to wop you upside yo' silly head!
  • Reply 78 of 80
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    Kind of ironic. Apparently Auto-focus doesn't work when taking pictures of other iPhones.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

I forwarded your post to the International Brotherhood of Boy Scouts.

They will be contacting you shortly.

That is one darn expensive compass, though. Wonder if boyscout organization will adopt them any time soon
  • Reply 80 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

That is one darn expensive compass, though. Wonder if boyscout organization will adopt them any time soon

Sure, makes it easier to track the animals dragging them off to their cubs to eat.