Apple releases iTunes 8.2 and QuickTime 7.6.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My understanding is that the Pre takes it a step further by identifying itself as an Apple device, which opens up some functionality that Apple has held close to its vest.

I am fairly certain that it doesn't open up any new functionality, or not much anyway.

I think the reason for doing this is that if Palm did it officially they would have to ask, because it's like an official Apple program to allow, or to not allow devices to use iTunes (and they haven't allowed any new ones for a while.) I think Palm did this so they could say they had compatibility in the press release and so Apple couldn't take it away from them without explicitly doing so in the glare of the public eye.

This gives Apple only two responses. Either they have a hissy fit and disallow the Pre (and Pre mops up with the PR on that and then they allow them anyway), or they say "okay" but let's do it right" and give them a nice icon.

From Palms point of view both these answers are essentially "yes," whereas if they asked first, the answer could easily have been "no."
  • Reply 22 of 47
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:

My understanding is that the Pre takes it a step further by identifying itself as an Apple device, which opens up some functionality that Apple has held close to its vest.

"SIMULATING AN APPLE PRODUCT IS A VIOLATION OF THE SOFTWARE AGREEMENT AND A THEFT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY" (Now how do you suppose?... Not from Jon Rubenstein? That would violate the spirit of his noncompete, and break Steve's heart. Like when Bill Gates heisted the Desktop software from Apple!) Oh, maybe JR signed a "PREnup"!
  • Reply 23 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Shipped no. Announced yes.

Jeff Carlson at TidBits pointed out that they're probably trying to trickle stuff out this year so they don't have problems like they did last year with Mobile Me. Too many things shipping at once and so on...
  • Reply 24 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I am fairly certain that it doesn't open up any new functionality, or not much anyway.

I think the reason for doing this is that if Palm did it officially they would have to ask, because it's like an official Apple program to allow, or to not allow devices to use iTunes (and they haven't allowed any new ones for a while.) I think Palm did this so they could say they had compatibility in the press release and so Apple couldn't take it away from them without explicitly doing so in the glare of the public eye.

This gives Apple only two responses. Either they have a hissy fit and disallow the Pre (and Pre mops up with the PR on that and then they allow them anyway), or they say "okay" but let's do it right" and give them a nice icon.

From Palms point of view both these answers are essentially "yes," whereas if they asked first, the answer could easily have been "no."

Well, for instance the Pre will apparently sync with iPhoto, which I do not think is typical of generic devices recognized by iTunes.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    How the fook did this turn into a conversation about the Pre?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Stopping pre from syncing with iTunes would be a bad move unless they kick it [ pre ] in its ass with their OS 3.0 release.

Palm can build their own Audio/Video sync software backend.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Palm can build their own Audio/Video sync software backend.

Actually they can use iTunes and all they should need to do this is available from Apple (since 2002 I think).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172
  • Reply 28 of 47
    bytorbytor Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Shipped no. Announced yes.

iPhone 3.0 will more than likely be released however...
  • Reply 29 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Actually they can use iTunes and all they should need to do this is available from Apple (since 2002 I think).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172

That API is older than iTunes itself (comes from SoundJam), and the newest player supported there is older than the first iPod. We know for a fact that the Pre is not using this API, and that Palm are not legitimately syncing, as a Pre displays as an iPod in iTunes.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

My understanding is that the Pre takes it a step further by identifying itself as an Apple device

My understanding is a bunch of people are talking out their a$$ and speculating about an unreleased product.

Can we at least let the Pre ship and see what Apple does or doesn't do before casting them as the Great Satan?

I know it's not the fun thing to do, but it is the reasonable approach to take.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

My understanding is a bunch of people are talking out their a$$ and speculating about an unreleased product.

Can we at least let the Pre ship and see what Apple does or doesn't do before casting them as the Great Satan?

I know it's not the fun thing to do, but it is the reasonable approach to take.

As linked to in another thread, Gruber has some pretty specific observations regarding how the Pre is talking to iTunes.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Well, for instance the Pre will apparently sync with iPhoto, which I do not think is typical of generic devices recognized by iTunes.

My Nokia's sync with iTunes. Is there some big secret that Apple is hiding here by not allowing iTunes to talk to other devices? It seems that this sites Appleista Brigades are all flustered over a non-starter issue. How will the Pre syncing to iTunes affect the "shareholders" here? It is just another device syncing non-DRM'd content. Is this really that important a story? Why hasn't AI mentioned that Apple may charge for redownloading previously purchased game content. Seems to have made it in a few other places than here.... AI only reports good news bias maybe...
  • Reply 33 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

My Nokia's sync with iTunes.

No, they don't ? they sync with a third-party app that accesses an XML export of the iTunes library. Blackberries work the same.

Quote:

It is just another device syncing non-DRM'd content.

No, it's a device pretending to be an iPod in order to sync the exact way iPods do.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

... How will the Pre syncing to iTunes affect the "shareholders" here? It is just another device syncing non-DRM'd content. Is this really that important a story? ...

As far as I know Apple created iTunes to sell hardware (iPods and now iPhones), so why should Apple allow

other companies to use part of Apple's ecosystem to sell non Apple hardware?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

As far as I know Apple created iTunes to sell hardware (iPods and now iPhones), so why should Apple allow

Because as iTunes becomes bigger and bigger and takes more Market share, Apple would be in a position to abuse that to eliminate competition. These lessons have already been learned as a result of Microsofts success. We need to put measures in place now to stop Apple from getting to the same point, and cracking open iTunes is a good way of doing this. Unfortunately for Apple, that might mean they sell less hardware, but it's better that way than allowing them to become too big and powerful.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Because as iTunes becomes bigger and bigger and takes more Market share, Apple would be in a position to abuse that to eliminate competition. These lessons have already been learned as a result of Microsofts success. We need to put measures in place now to stop Apple from getting to the same point, and cracking open iTunes is a good way of doing this. Unfortunately for Apple, that might mean they sell less hardware, but it's better that way than allowing them to become too big and powerful.

If Apple can arm twist the RIAA, the MPAA and the independent labels into creating iTunes only exclusive content, we can worry about monopoly. If DRM free iTunes plus content cannot be played on another player, then worry about lock-in.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    How big is Apple's share in the music distribution business ~20-30% (in the USA)?

Apple has grown to be the biggest distributor in the USA, but I think they are far from a monopoly.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

No, they don't ? they sync with a third-party app that accesses an XML export of the iTunes library. Blackberries work the same.

No, it's a device pretending to be an iPod in order to sync the exact way iPods do.

And this is bad why?
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I never ceases to amaze me at how Appleistas continue to think that everyone wants and iPod or iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

How the fook did this turn into a conversation about the Pre?

No kidding....