Jobs' return to Apple may hinge on public event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Perhaps the new AppleTV and more?

I'm sure he would introduce the tablet before that lemon- part II. It has so much baggage on it - I really don't see how he could ressurect it.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

You know most people just go back to work after being sick. They do not get an orchestrated event for this

Most people are not visionaries that have introduced to the market several disruptive technologies/products...

Most people that really try can only dream of maybe, and I mean maybe, introducing one disruptive technology or product...
  • Reply 23 of 43
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

As for WWDC, I would love Phil to say, "One More Thing" and have Steve walk out on stage and say hello. That would be the best One More Thing that we have ever had!

That would be awesome. I just hope he's well. And damn the stock. Money isn't everything.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

That would be awesome. I just hope he's well. And damn the stock. Money isn't everything.

Great post . i also wish steve well . damn the rest

• Reply 25 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Jobs return is THE event.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All joking aside, you’ve got to hand it to Apple to spin a sick CEO into their marketing engine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

The financial press have punished their share price by hinging everything on his shoulders.

And there is the reason why Steve's return would be a marketing event. Because the media, analysts etc, went for this notion that Apple is Steve Jobs. that he's the only designer, engineer and thinker there and without him, the company is a bunch of morons.

so every time he coughed, yawned or farted, much less anything worse, it was the end of the world and the stock price went down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maddoguk View Post

Although he did a good job in the past, I think that's where Steve belongs.

Apple needs new blood and new ideas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They are doing just fine without him. Perhaps he needs to stay behind the scenes and be a consultant or something to that effect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Except it'll go "Bust" when the reverse happens, as we know it (unfortunately and inevitably) will, one day.

I think it is time for SJ to adopt a "wise elder" role at Apple, and start to disengage himself visibly and gently from day-to-day strategy setting and implementation.

anyone that thinks that Steve wasn't there this whole time is just being foolish. Apple has made tons of tech for working from anywhere and Steve was certainly still involved.

As for the 'go bust' comments. that's the same game the media was putting that nearly killed the company. The whole point of getting Steve off the stage was to show that the rest of the company are not morons. get the media off this rock star game about Steve. Let them see, let us see, the other folks that do just as much work as Steve.

Also, technology is not an overnight thing. you can bet whatever they are doing now is the result of years of work and they have things started now (under Steve's guidance) that wouldn't show up for another 3-5 years.

The company will be fine.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

first off. it's not like he really left. you can promise that he is aware of everything that happened. that he had emails, ichats etc probably daily. so i just love the implications otherwise

second, I agree. his return is cause for an event. I actually suspect that he will appear at WWDC just not giving the keynote. Phil will give the scoop on the finals of the phone software, hardware if there is going to be, something about Snow Leopard, maybe a minor specs change on the computers or such. and then just when folks think he's about to intro someone for a Tony Bennett, he'll go "and one more thing" and Steve will walk out on stage, not looking perfect probably but looking better and will announce that he's officially returning July 1 (or whatever) but how could he not be there to see all the excitement, blah blah. or if not on stage, they will chat him in.

I think Phil will talk to Steve Jobs via iChat, maybe even from the phone...

Doubt he will walk on stage
  • Reply 27 of 43
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Fundamentally he was starving to death over a nine-month period,"

What is this breakthrough diet secret !?
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Perhaps the new AppleTV and more?

AppleTV will only receive a storage bump and minor software update in the Sept/Oct time frame.

The "new" AppleTV won't be ready till 2010 when Apple completes it's custom ARM chips.

Apple's custom chips will power a new generation of iPods, iPhones, AppleTVs, Time Capsules, Airport Base Stations as well as future products such as tablets and netbooks.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Also, technology is not an overnight thing. you can bet whatever they are doing now is the result of years of work and they have things started now (under Steve's guidance) that wouldn't show up for another 3-5 years.

The company will be fine.

5 years is an eternity in the computer industry.

While Apple may have a general direction it want's be in five years, I assure you they only have a CLEAR vision for products 1-2 years out.

The iPod was developed in 8 months.

The iPhone was in development for 2.5 years(I'm sure the end product was very different from what they initially planed).
  • Reply 30 of 43
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    I wish Steve a speedy recovery, however Apple should not wait to release products because of Steve. The consumers want the products. The show must go on.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    As cool as it would be for Steve to be the "One More Thing" and then have him give a quick hello and introduce the tablet Mac, I'm VERY doubtful that it'll happen ... mainly because I just don't think Apple is ever going to make a tablet Mac. Doing that, also puts Apple in an awkward position of having to push back the execs they've been touting as the future of Apple. They've survived two major announcements without him giving the keynote, and I think Phil and the rest of the executives have done a fantastic job in presenting the products.

In the end, Apple isn't about Steve Jobs ... it's about making great, iconic products that people want to use. I wish Steve the best, and I don't think we've seen the last Jobsnote yet, but I do think we're starting to see his gradual recession from Apple's limelight.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimerl View Post

What is this breakthrough diet secret !?

Cancer.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

As for WWDC, I would love Phil to say, "One More Thing" and have Steve walk out on stage and say hello. That would be the best One More Thing that we have ever had!

That would be a pretty awesome move, people would go absolutely nuts.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    For WWDC: I Expect Phil and the others to spend the first 75 minutes talking about 10.6 and iPhone 3.0 software (this is a dev conference after all) and the last 15 minutes to be Steve coming out and talking about the new iPhone hardware and thanking everyone. (Followed by 8 minutes of some random pseduo-indy-pop music act )
  • Reply 35 of 43
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Jobs return is THE event. No need for a product to go along with it. Put him out on stage, have him say "Boom". Done. That would send the stock through the roof.

So awesome. So true...

• Reply 36 of 43
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

And damn the stock. Money isn't everything.

uh, yes, it is.

grow up.

• Reply 37 of 43
    pmoeserpmoeser Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Apple stock is up 60 some-odd % since jobs went on leave, versus 20-something % for the broader NASDAQ market.

Sorry, I wasn't really very clear about what I was trying to say.

Back when the uncertainty about his health was the topic, the "pundits" punished Apple and their share price suffered.

I agree that they are going gangbusters right now and that is why they probably won't wheel him out at WWDC.

It'll hurt him personally not to be involved though
  • Reply 38 of 43
    pmoeserpmoeser Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm sure he would introduce the tablet before that lemon- part II. It has so much baggage on it - I really don't see how he could ressurect it.

Spoken like someone who has never used one.

But it's Steve! He did it with the whole company. An AppleTV would be a walk in the park!
  • Reply 39 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

Back when the uncertainty about his health was the topic, the "pundits" punished Apple and their share price suffered.

While I?m sure that it did suffer from that negative news, Apple?s flucuations have been mostly with the market, with the tech stocks moving faster up and down than other stocks. My Amazon recouped faster than Apple and I dont? recall any bad press about their CEO.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All joking aside, you?ve got to hand it to Apple to spin a sick CEO into their marketing engine.

Apple IS NOT spinning anything. Secrecy and non-disclosures are Apple's forte, whether its products or CEO health. AppleInsider and other medias are spinning this. MS spins, Apple withholds info.

The AI article is contraditing, "Senior managers at the company " vs. "Apple has claimed that Phil Schiller and other executives ". Schiller is not a senior manager?