Cheaper iPhone may show as early as Monday

Comments

• Reply 61 of 207
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I think neither. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that you need more than one version. But all you and GTL215 do is listen to whatever Apples tells you - nothing more. Quite pathetic actually. Just look at the RAZR for your example..

Learn to think for yourself-. It's quite refreshing.

Lets do the math. if an iphone cost x dollars. And the data plan cost 1800 over 2 yrs . What is so special about lowering the price by 50 bucks for a lesser machine ,

Because all the machines will have high data plan dollars attached to them anyway ? where or what do we really save by having 4 models with the same $1800 backend?

• Reply 62 of 207
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

WiFi only or pay as you go probably. I can't think of another phone that requires a data plan.

I have 2 friends that want the exact same thing- iPhone without data plan. No need to get addictied to the messaging. All they want is a phone/iPod combo.
  • Reply 63 of 207
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    How about some simple math people. If you pay $99 for a phone and still pay a monthly plan that cost around $80 per month over a 2 year contract are you getting such an bargain with the cheaper phone? I would love a plan with about 100-200 minutes per month + unlimited data all for $40 instead of the $80 plan I have now. Oh and by the way please keep your post civil, okay to be angry but foul language is more a likely to nullify you comments than enhance them.
  • Reply 64 of 207
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Lets do the math. if an iphone cost x dollars. And the data plan cost 1800 over 2 yrs . What is so special about lowering the price by 50 bucks for a lesser machine ,

Because all the machines will have high data plan dollars attached to them anyway ? where or what do we really save by having 4 models with the same $1800 backend?

The cheaper models will have lower-priced plans, and thus lower subsidies.

As some already believe that AT&T's subscriber base has been saturated for iPhone, the lower-priced plan allows AT&T to have a "starter-plan" for those additional subscribers who are hesitant to switch to a smartphone with data. But we'll see if AT&T lives up to Apple's expectations...

But I still think that all iPhone plans will require a data plan - maybe $20 instead of $30/mo.
  • Reply 65 of 207
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

"extremely hackish"?- because it works so well? which is what the NY Times said.

NYT was saying that the experience seemed to work well. It is, however, absolutely a 'hack' by any meaning of the word.

http://9to5mac.com/palm-block-iTunes

They're spoofing the Media Sync code in the USB node info by claiming they're an iPod.

This can be easily stopped by Apple... the running question is whether or not they'll do so.

Also, keep in mind that this only sync's music... contacts etc don't sync.

It reeks of desperation by Palm.
  • Reply 66 of 207
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

From Apple's historic behaviour it's clear that they are more interested in a quality product than achieving mass market acceptance in a short period.

the iphone OS is fairly mature now and version 3 will run on EDGE models so it's not that big a deal to sell 3G models at $99 with the new software. 4GB flash memory costs about as much as coffee at starbucks
  • Reply 67 of 207
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I'm thinking it's the initial price plus the cost of the data plan that scares most people away. If you were to drop the phone down to $99 and the data plan plus 200 SMS messages to $59 total, then they would get FAR more sales. It's really the data plan that kills most people.
  • Reply 68 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bungamunji View Post

No data plan? How do you plan on using iChat? Wifi? Then why do you need an iPhone?

You think at&t is a monopoly? Why don't you use that anger to fuel your buying decisions and get an iPod touch instead. Or go with Verizon, T-mobile or Sprint. You have options. Don't yell because you can't get what you want. Join the club. And please. Calm down.

I'm with those who want a voice-only plan. The number of times I need internet access when I'm not near wi-fi in no way justifies $360+ per year. Absolute waste of money for me, and I believe for a lot of people.
  • Reply 69 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

It just gives people a choice. Not everyone wants a data plan- some just want aphone/iPod. it's just an added choice- increases penetration.
  • Reply 70 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

NYT was saying that the experience seemed to work well. It is, however, absolutely a 'hack' by any meaning of the word.

http://9to5mac.com/palm-block-iTunes

They're spoofing the Media Sync code in the USB node info by claiming they're an iPod.

This can be easily stopped by Apple... the running question is whether or not they'll do so.

Also, keep in mind that this only sync's music... contacts etc don't sync.

It reeks of desperation by Palm.

Actually it's quite rogue of them and has backed Apple up against a wall- they're now damned if they do and damned if they don't.
  • Reply 71 of 207
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

I have 2 friends that want the exact same thing- iPhone without data plan. No need to get addictied to the messaging. All they want is a phone/iPod combo.

I don't know what's harder to believe - that there's a viable market for pay as you go iPhone users, or that Teckstud actually has 2 friends.
  • Reply 72 of 207
    Quote:

It just gives people a choice. Not everyone wants a data plan- some just want aphone/iPod. it's just an added choice- increases penetration.

why would anybody get an iPhone if you don't want the data? That's the whole point of the iPhone. If you just want a basic phone and an ipod, then buy a basic phone and an iPod.
  • Reply 73 of 207
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Understand, but AT&T would say that the margin is too small, given the amount they have to pay for the subsidized iPhone. So they need the extra $200-400/year. Even the $99 will cost AT&T at least $350, and more likely, over $400.

AT&T has to make that choice between low-margin but higher subscriber volume, or higher-margin but lower subscriber volume.
  • Reply 74 of 207
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

How about some simple math people. If you pay $99 for a phone and still pay a monthly plan that cost around $80 per month over a 2 year contract are you getting such an bargain with the cheaper phone? I would love a plan with about 100-200 minutes per month + unlimited data all for $40 instead of the $80 plan I have now. Oh and by the way please keep your post civil, okay to be angry but foul language is more a likely to nullify you comments than enhance them.

it's psychology

people still think of it as a cell phone and for most people $299 is the most they'll pay for one. there have been $500 cell phones for years now and they have been very poor sellers even though they came with a long list of nice features
  • Reply 75 of 207
    Quote:

Actually it's quite rogue of them and has backed Apple up against a wall- they're now damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Oh please.

"We're way better than Apple, but oh by the way, we can only supply a good experience by piggy-backing onto their products."
  • Reply 76 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Understand, but AT&T would say that the margin is too small, given the amount they have to pay for the subsidized iPhone. So they need the extra $200-400/year. Even the $99 will cost AT&T at least $350, and more likely, over $400.

AT&T has to make that choice between low-margin but higher subscriber volume, or higher-margin but lower subscriber volume.

Great explanation. Thanks. Seems like once again AT&T is calling a lot of the shots- no?
  • Reply 77 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

why would anybody get an iPhone if you don't want the data? That's the whole point of the iPhone. If you just want a basic phone and an ipod, then buy a basic phone and an iPod.

um, no... the 'whole point' of the iPhone is that its a "phone". And it can do wi-fi.

Why in god's name would I need to spend $30 extra a month for a service I don't need?

95% of my time is spent within wi-fi range (for which I'm already paying a pretty penny.)

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with techstud on something.
  • Reply 78 of 207
    Quote:

Oh please.

"We're way better than Apple, but oh by the way, we can only supply a good experience by piggy-backing onto their products."

No seriously. If they cut them off now it will create tons of bad press and lawsuits. If they allow it to remain they shoot themself in the foot and set precedence. They should have cut it off before it was able to even get acknowledged.
  • Reply 79 of 207
    Quote:

um, no... the 'whole point' of the iPhone is that its a "phone". And it can do wi-fi.

Why in god's name would I need to spend $30 extra a month for a service I don't need?

95% of my time is spent within wi-fi range? (for which I'm already paying a pretty penny.)

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with techstud on something.

There are tons of people that get Blackberrys without data plan at TMobile and Verizon. People simply want a cool phone with no data. It's more common than you think.
  • Reply 80 of 207
    Quote:

95% of my time is spent within wi-fi range (for which I'm already paying a pretty penny.)

wifi is not a selling point for the iPhone. It's obviously a great feature and should be standard on smartphones these days (BB Storm, anyone?). But the "point" of the iPhone and other smartphones is mobile data access. If you don't want to pay $30 for a service you don't need, then you clearly don't need an iPhone. iPod Touch can do pretty much everything the iPhone can, and without the monthly cost. Skype is great and works on the ipod Touch.