Apple unveils new iPhone 3.0 features, sets release for June 17th

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I find it extremely hard to believe that it was AT&T that thought MMS was ugly when it's a cash cow for them. That decision has SJ and SJ alone written all over it. If you have MMS you have less need for MobileME. Plain and simple.

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you please, please, please explain this?
  • Reply 42 of 76
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hunt70 View Post

OS 3.0 will be great, but on AT&T's network it does not make sense to purchase a 3GS phone until they upgrade their cellular network or Apple eliminates the exclusivity deal between them.

With AT&T you miss:

- NO 7.2 Mbps: I travel all around the US and rarely get over 700k connection speeds

- NO MMS

- NO tethering

- NO TV streaming: i.e. Slingbox streaming

....soon Apple will see AT&T as the limiting growth factor in the US.

Cheers,

Fear Not!

Steve Jobs triumphant return Major Event announcement:

"Cessation of AT&Ts Partnership"

hopefully!
  • Reply 43 of 76
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

OS 3.0 will be great, but on AT&T's network it does not make sense to purchase a 3GS phone until they upgrade their cellular network or Apple eliminates the exclusivity deal between them.

With AT&T you miss:

- NO 7.2 Mbps: I travel all around the US and rarely get over 700k connection speeds

- NO MMS

- NO tethering

Cheers,

Heck, I don't even get this speed on my home internet connection. Sure my router is fast but I am poor; 5 Mbps for me I'm fine with my 3G iPhone thank you very much.

The only new feature I'll miss is the voice dialing and i'm not even sure why the faster processor would make that much of a difference, but what do I know, I'm not an IT person. Sure the compass thing is really cool, but the Maps tool works well enough for me. I'm not even sure what the big stink on the blogs was really about; accuracy? sure the Maps function might have been a little off and no turn-by-turn. But i'm not even sure how that would work if you have the screen saver cutting it off. Unless i'm missing something about it?
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

So, does anybody know if this new iPhone has a faster processor?

How about a faster graphics card?

Try this link: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...eo_camera.html

The quick answer is yes and yes.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

I'm still waiting!

If they don't add this, after adding external accessory support, they better come out with their tablet/netbook killer soon!

Otherwise, nice hardware and software upgrades.

Dude, seriously. Just buy a Blackberry or the new Pre already. The only way you're going to see any physical keyboard attachment is by a third party. Apple and Jobs are minimalist design attitudes. That's my opinion but it seems to be many other's as well.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldiddy View Post

I remember reading a few months ago that the new phone would support a stereo bluetooth setup. Does anyone know if this is indeed supported. I did not read anything about that today.

Thanks!

that is curious because when you look at the photos from the previous posts:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...eo_camera.html

you'll notice a bluetooth icon next to the battery icon. So perhaps that's a gaff on apple part or what i don't know. anyone else notice this?
  • Reply 47 of 76
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

that is curious because when you look at the photos from the previous posts:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...eo_camera.html

you'll notice a bluetooth icon next to the battery icon. So perhaps that's a gaff on apple part or what i don't know. anyone else notice this?

Stereo Bluetooth (A2DP support) works fine under 3.0GM. Just pair the device and your done.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Dude, seriously. Just buy a Blackberry or the new Pre already. The only way you're going to see any physical keyboard attachment is by a third party. Apple and Jobs are minimalist design attitudes. That's my opinion but it seems to be many other's as well.

Exactly and that minimalist design would exclude MMS and think it "ugly" , not AT&T.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

It's all indirect . If you have MMS on your phone you don't need an active email account nor have a need to constantly open up email as messages go directly to your phone number, therefor there really is no need for an email account or one that handles large volume (mobileme account).

And there has never been a need to pay for MobileMe to get push e-mail. Gmail supports IMAP-idle since October 2007 (http://blogs.sun.com/chienr/entry/gm...orts_imap_idle), ie, well before MobileMe.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    I've been searching through Apple's website and I can't seem to figure out where it lists the current version of the iPod Touch OS. I mean, obviously that's 2.2 right now, but I wanted to know when it would be upgraded to 3.0, so I don't order one and have to pay to update the OS right away.

Does anyone have experience with this from the last time Apple upgraded the iPhone OS? Will the iPod Touch start shipping with the new OS on the same day the OS is available for download/purchase?

The new OS is looking pretty neat! I would love to have the compass/oriented maps and the voice control, too, but it's not worth waiting for Apple to update the iPod for it.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Interesting views from iLounge regarding the new iPhone.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...o-users-hopes/
  • Reply 52 of 76
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I installed the new OS last night and it runs great. However I noticed that whenever you preview a song in the music store, the preview indicator that used to move in a circle no longer moves. Is that a bug or a new "feature"?
  • Reply 53 of 76
    wavelabswavelabs Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

Well, some of us are GM 3.0 and STILL tethering just fine you pompous windbag. So make your service work like it's supposed to and we'll keep giving you money. Screw this up and expect Apple and it's customers to jump ship to another carrier. Your upgrade will be worthless if you wait so damn long you run off your customers.

EXACTLY...

I'm so tired of paying almost 100 dollars a month, and AT&T is telling me,they will not give me full services.

100 dollars per month is a lot of money, and the ONLY thing AT&T wants users to do

is make short calls for that amount of money.

I tether with my phone, but there are many users that PAY for this and AT&T is ripping them off.

AT&T keeps going on with this crap, and people are just going to leave.

I have no clue why Apple tied down iPhone to just one cell phone company.

Now that AT&T has control, they are strangle holding everyone,

and charging for an little stupid thing.

Quote:

With AT&T you miss:

- NO MMS

- NO tethering

Cheers,

I don't know why Apple even placed any of these features knowing darn well

AT&T users wont be able to use any of these features, and if we do we will get charged

extremely high prices for services that should be standard.

Apple should have more control for their phones, instead of these strangle holds that AT&T has members in.

Here is an idea - How about Apple opening up their own Cell Phone Network...!!

or at least make a contract every cell phone network provider, so AT&T does not have so much control.

AT&T has way too much control and we the users are paying for it dearly.

Quote:

Soon? In fact they would have had ever greater sales if the had gone with another carrier be it T-Mobile or whoever. AT&T has boxed Apple into a hole- a real big fat one.

EXACTLY.......

And the thing is, people keep going along like nothing is happening and swallowing the cost.

People should just stop using AT&T, and you will see how fast AT&T will straighten up.

but as long as people keep paying and paying and swallowing the cost, AT&T will keep ripping people off.

and coming up with excuses and finding ways to charge people more for services they are not even getting or going to get.

Cingular had a great thing going until they sold out to AT&T.

Now we are paying for it.

Cingular was going in the right direction and their services is wha attracted many customers to their network.

and AT&T seen that, and wanted to control it, because AT&T was losing out on customers because of it.

And now we no longer have Cingular, and we are all screwed with AT&T after AT&T purchased Cingular.

Apple was going to have a good relationship with Cingular and AT&T was going to be left out.

AT&T was nearly in trouble until they purchased Cingular.

And no sooner they owned Cingular,

AT&T started to raise prices and collapsed Cingular's reputation as a better cell phone network provider.

And now ALL Cingular customers are suffering the consequences.

ONLY WE THE PEOPLE are holding back the potential future of cell phones.

and as long as AT&T has a chain around our necks, this is going to keep happening.

If iPhone was available for Verizon, T-Mobile, Boost Mobile etc etc.

I would of been left AT&T a long time ago.

but since AT&T has everyone on lock down.

We can't do anything except not become members or continue being members of AT&T.

Maybe we need to BOYCOTT AT&T.

WE THE PEOPLE control cellphone networks, NOT AT&T.

As long as we keep paying and being members,

we will always be in this hole.

We can NOT move into the future, as long as AT&T has a Strangle Hold on Customers,

and ripping them off for services that should be standard..

I HATE YOU AT&T.......!!!
  • Reply 54 of 76
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post

Apple was going to have a good relationship with Cingular and AT&T was going to be left out.

AT&T was nearly in trouble until they purchased Cingular.

And no sooner they owned Cingular

It was the other way around, Cingular bought AT&T and changed their name.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    What time on the 17th will 3.0 be available? How has Apple done updates in the past?
  • Reply 56 of 76
    NasserAE - Really......lol

I could of swown it was a AT&T take over.

Thanks for correcting me buddy

I am also pissed off that the new feature on the new iPhone is only for MobileME.

The feature to be able to track your phone and also WIPE it if it gets stolen.

Why do they do this?. Why they only make it available only for MobileME accounts only.?

Like they are forcing people to get MobileME account, when we really dont want it.

And on top of that, they charge for it. (and through the roof might I say)

every day goes by and I am hating both Apple and AT&T.

because their ignorance.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I am also pissed off that the new feature on the new iPhone is only for MobileME.

The feature to be able to track your phone and also WIPE it if it gets stolen.

Why do they do this?. Why they only make it available only for MobileME accounts only.?

Like they are forcing people to get MobileME account, when we really dont want it.

And on top of that, they charge for it. (and through the roof might I say)

every day goes by and I am hating both Apple and AT&T.

because their ignorance.

1) For $69 ?or even the full retail price of $99 if you don?t go to Amazon or pretty much anywhere else on the internet to buy it? the price is very reasonable for what is in included. Too often people say, ?I?m not going to pay $99/year for email when I can get it for free? but it a narrow view of the services offered.

Personally, the email is my least used option. I have it setup on my iPhone so I can turn on Push, but the email is forwarded from my Gmail account to MM which is then Pushed to my phone. I get the mail before my Mac gets it which is setup with only Gmail and checks every minute. My return mail SMTP account is Gmail so there it?s transparent to whom I?m replying. That is the only way I use the email feature and would be okay if it didn?t existed while still getting value from MM.

2) GPS tracking websites are almost always paid for. There may have been some jailbreak or App Store app that used the GPS chip to track your phone for free, but if it?s free it is new, probably more like a hobby than a business to the developer and an option for you. Another option is AT&T, which charges you $2/month to add this service to any of their phones. I?m not sure how well they work as I assume they only report the cell tower and I haven?t seen their web interface for it. One advantage is that MobileMe doesn?t have to be running on the device, which means that someone could presumably restore the device to factory setting and the AT&T service will pick it up. If that is the only service you want from MM then $24/year compared to $69/year may be just what you need. I don?t think they do remote wipe.

3) I see this as your ignorance if you are hating them for offering services that don?t suit your needs, but suit other people?s needs. You have a choice: to buy or not to buy. No one is forcing you to by an iPhone or MobileMe or any other service or product. It?s okay to not want a product or service.

4) One of favorite features about MM, going back many years to .Mac, is saving and syncing of your computer?s preferences. I can change a preference on one machine and have it synced to that other machine without any rigamarole. I?m talking about the System Preferences to the way the Dock looks, not just my contacts, calendars, and bookmarks. Another feature is Back To My Mac. No need to remember your external IP address and port numbers for a remote access. Quite slick stuff for the price.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Having my say, does not make me ignorant,

!!!!!!

People should not have to sign up to MobileME, just to get (WIPE) feature and pay for it when email is free, hence.

Hotmail, AIM, AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, Live.

And all email services do PUSH.

You can push from any email and get it instantly from any email service provider source.

What I was saying in my previous post:

was that being able to erase (WIPE) your phone should be part of the package of the cellphone service, - if it gets stolen.

and be able to send a ALERT to your phone as part of the service, in case you leave it in a TAXI or cafe'

And NOT ONLY have it - if YOU ONLY are a MobileME member and paying for email services.

its retarded.

AND YES I KNOW I HAVE A CHOICE OF GETTING IT OR NOT,

BUT THATS NOT THE POINT.

It should be part of your cell phone plan.

but thats capitalism for ya.....

Its bad enough that people are paying 100 dollars a month for services, and AT&T has a strangle hold on everything.

they dont even want people to surf the net on iPhones, because they say it takes up bandwidth.

and now they are saying they want to put a QUOTA on surfing the net on iPhones.

and if you pass that certain QUOTA, they will charge you even more, on top of your cell phone plan.

with the iPhone having the abilities to surf the net and view videos and TV shows and lets not forget movies.

people are soon going to have to pay extra on their data plan, because AT&T will not let users view videos / movies on their iPhone's,

because it will take up bandwidth,

and AT&T is now saying they want to charge an extra 40 dollars a month if users want to watch TV or movies on their iPhones.

on top of your monthly service plans.

Did you know that Verizon almost came close to getting the iPhone.?

AT&T fought hard to keep the iPhone into their company, because they knew they would of lost customers over night.

Because customers are really tired of AT&T tactics.

I can NOT wait until APPLE company would finally open the iPhone for ALL network companies.

it would then be fair.

PEOPLE ARE SPENDING WAY TOO MUCH ON CELL SERVICE FEATURES & PLANS FOR CELL PHONES....!!

Maybe YOU can afford 200 - 300 dollars a month for cell phone services,

but millions of people are not as rich as YOU.

iPhone is intended to bring the human race into the next segment of the future in communication,

and AT&T is capitalizing on this.

running unfair charge tactics and its unfair.

We are stopping ourselves from entering the next future.

We as the human race are suppose to evolve, and we are not.

Instead we are way too busy ripping each other off.

I am surprised that AT&T does not charge each time your phone vibrates.

pretty soon they just might, and call it a notification service fee.......

or

Convenience Fee, - for having your phone conveniently in you pocket or purse.

The iPhone should of been made available to every cell network carrier,

this way their would of been fair compitition, if people did not like the way one company is dealing with customers,

or their unfair charging tactics - nickle and dimming us at every corner.

they would be able to take their iPhone to another carrier and still keep their cell.

and not be tied down and forced to only one company.

Customers on Boost Mobile, AllTel, Verizon and Sprint - etc etc

should of been able to purchase the iPhone and NOT only be made available to AT&T alone.

and if you STILL CAN'T see what I am saying, then please dont respond,.,

as it will then turn into a argument, because of it.

but it seems you would love to pay any amount for services that should already be included in the plan.

Good luck on being broke and being taken for a sucker.

Nothing against you personally,

I am just trying to open your eyes and realize what is happening and where we are ending up,

if we let this keep happening.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

i cant even find something to say to your remarks as well as calling me ignorant,

because I just got a headache.

thanks for the migraine.

!!!!!!

People should not have to sign up to MobileME, just to get (WIPE) feature and pay for it when email is free, hence.

Hotmail, AIM, AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, Live.

And all email services do PUSH.

You can push from any email and get it instantly from any email source.

What I was saying in my previous post:

was that being able to erase (WIPE) your phone should be part of the package of the cellphone service, - if it gets stolen.

Or be able to send a ALERT to your phone, in case you leave it in a TAXI or cafe'

And NOT ONLY have it if YOU ONLY are a MobileME member and paying for email services.

its retarded.

It should be part of your cell phone plan.

but thats capitalism for ya.....

1) My comment about you being ‘ignorant’ was a direct reply to you calling Apple and AT&T ‘ignorant’ for being a business and charging for a a plethora of services. How ignorant of them!

2) I suppose educated discourse can be hard to understand by some. If you wish me to use simpler sentences and smaller words so I can communicate with you more effectively just let me know. I will try to accommodate, though I thought by breaking thing up in numbered sections I had made it easier to digest what I perceived as obvious reasons why Apple charges “$99 for a service that should be free!"

3) Again, the cost of MobileMe is so much more than the email and remote wipe, but I’ve already stated that and given you some examples of services that you can’t get elsewhere.

4) Not all email services have Push, and ones that do don’t necessarily having it working well. MobileMe works great which is why I have the setup previously explained.

5) You can feel that remote wipe should be included at no extra charge, but to lambast AT&T for not offering a feature that no other carrier offers to their phones and criticizing Apple for adding that service to MobileMe is, well, ignorant since MobileMe still costs the same but it now more useful and there is no evidence that AT&T and all other carriers would have offered a remote wipe feature to all their phones (paid or free) if Apple didn’t include it with MobileMe.

6) If you think the MobileMe services package is such a ripoff, then you don’t need to purchase it. It isn’t a requirement for Mac or iPhone use. I do implore you to look up the services offered and then find me comparable services that best the price in full. Already you are at $24/year for AT&T to locate your phone on their network.

edit: You added to your rantings after I started replying…

Quote:

Its bad enough that people are paying 100 dollars a month for services, and AT&T has a strangle hold on everything.

they dont even want people to surf the net on iPhones, because they say it takes up bandwidth.

and now they are saying they want to put a QUOTA on surfing the net on iPhones.

and if you pass that certain QUOTA, they will charge you even more.

with the iPhone having the abilities to surf the net and view videos and TV shows and lets not forget movies.

people are soon going to have to pay extra on their data plan, because AT&T will not let users view videos / movies on their iPhone's,

because it will take up bandwidth,

and AT&T is now saying they want to charge an extra 40 dollars a month if users want to watch TV or movies on their iPhones.

on top of your monthly service plans.

PEOPLE ARE SPENDING WAY TOO MUCH ON CELL SERVICE FEATURES ON CELL PHONES....!!

I am surprised that AT&T does not charge each time your phone vibrates.

pretty soon they just might, and call it a notification service fee.......

and if you STILL CAN'T see what I am saying, then please dont respond,.,

as it will then turn into a argument, because of it.

but it seems you would love to pay any amount for services that should already be included in the plan.

Good luck on being broke and being taken for a sucker.

7) Hyperbole doesn’t make for a good argument. AT&T has less of a stranglehold than Verizon has historically had, but that is beside the point. If AT&T doesn’t suit your needs then go with a carrier that does. If you feel that none of them do and it’s a oligopoly hurting the free market, then report it or just don’t use their services.

8) AT&T had the lowest unlimited bandwidth for a phone when the original iPhone was introduced. It was also the most internet friendly phone there is; it still is. Apple changed the business model and AT&T changed the pricing, which is inline with their other phones and across the country, but in that year from the first iPhone release the average unlimited data price when from $45/month to $30/month. That doesn’t exactly sound like a company that is trying to stifle any internet use. After all, they are the allowing YouTube, the App Store, the iTunes Store, a usable browser, streaming video from any H.264 source and all those apps that connect to their servers. If they had a problem you’d expect them to change the date to a fixed number and/or raise the price. They’ve done none of those things.

9) I can see how paying $69/month can be a lot for some people, especially if the features and services of the iPhone don’t fit your needs. If that is the case there is a simple solution: don’t buy it.

10) I have not read that AT&T wants to charge an additional $40/month. Could you supply a source for this?

11) People are paying what they want to spend on cell service. It may be too much for you and you may not be able to understand the value that is had by others, but it’s certainly not too much if they willingly bought the device and agreed with the contractual obligations. Amazing the anti-American remarks we get here… mostly from Americans, too.

12) This idea that services "should be” included in the plan is silly, at best. Wanting a service included is not the same as it “should be”. Eventually, many of these services will probably be included as carriers find ways to attract customers and certain technologies evolve, but for right now they charge for certain services. Remember when call waiting and voicemail cost money each month, yet now are included? If I don’t want those can be all upset too and state that AT&T charges me $69/month for call waiting and voicemail… in the same vein you claim that Apple charges $99 for email and remote wipe?

13) I doubt that paying $99 for MM and $70/month for a device and services I use the crap out of will break me anytime soon. I even spend an additional $60/month for a 3G USB card for unlimited data. You wouldn’t believe how much bandwidth I get for both devices.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:

2) I suppose educated discourse can be hard to understand by some. If you wish me to use simpler sentences and smaller words so I can communicate with you more effectively just let me know. I will try to accommodate, though I thought by breaking thing up in numbered sections I had made it easier to digest what I perceived as obvious reasons why Apple charges “$99 for a service that should be free!"

Thats the second time you insulted me, basically calling me a retard & uneducated.

if you where in front of me,

You WOULD of been slapped.