iPhone OS 3.0 app highlights: TomTom GPS, Line 6, more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dequardo View Post

Quite certain the TomTom accessory does NOT enhance the GPS signal but rather just optimizes the phone's location to the sky.

Mike

I was assuming an antenna that the 30-pin connector API can use to get better reception for the GPS.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

so i wonder how long until the Apple Stores get some kind of attachment to use a frikking touch for that handheld credit card pay gig of theirs. it's a tad embarrassing that they are using something that runs off Windows CE

probably frikking sooner than you think:

apple to ditch easypay systems
  • Reply 23 of 24
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

Its taken a while for TOMTOM to come up with something. how much we have to pay? will there be cost to data transmission? will traffic report be included? Speed camera alert? Bloody hell TOMTOM get your act together...

i will stick to my GARMIN and UNIDEN for car GPS and wait for Apple to come up with proper Car GPS. Until them TOMTOM clear the space..

I sort of disagree, I say make the app $1 and let me buy just what I want, all I really need is maps and POIs for Indiana Il, Oh, Ky and Mi...so let me buy each state map for like $2-$4, let me buy seprate plugins for traffic, red light cams, and such.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I sort of disagree, I say make the app $1 and let me buy just what I want, all I really need is maps and POIs for Indiana Il, Oh, Ky and Mi...so let me buy each state map for like $2-$4, let me buy seprate plugins for traffic, red light cams, and such.

I get the idea that this is exactly why they waited. With 3.0 allowing in-app purchases, they can sell you maps and other updates on the fly. With 2.x they would have had to sell you distinct apps for every single feature or map that you wanted to buy. Far too cumbersome.

I have no idea what their pricing structure will be nor if the docking accessory will be required. But, either way, I think the app should be $1. The accessory should not be overly expensive. Maps, POI and traffic are where they will make their money, so why gouge us for the required components (app and maybe dock accessory). At they same time, I hope they don't make the maps etc overly expensive. They should consider that RIM just bought a navigation company and that other companies will release TBT nav apps for the iPhone too. If they want to be a major player on the SmartPhone navigation market, they will will have to drive adoption with fair pricing.