• Reply 21 of 26
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    That would be quite a name I must say.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

That would be quite a name I must say.

That may be jumping the gun. They may have to save that for 10.9.

10.7 is all about extending on the new foundation that Snow Leopard brings. We need a cat that is all about "resourcefulness" A cat that can survive and dare I say thrive in multiple environments.

OS X Keuda !
  • Reply 23 of 26
    slr2009slr2009 Posts: 14member
    hey guys, I'm updating an idea that I have for the next operating system.

Quicklook folder Previews:

Navigating a large folder library is not fun because there's no way to see what's in it unless you click and open that folder.

Using quicklook on a folder simply enlarges that folder, but what's the point of seeing a larger folder?

wouldnt it be cool if when you hit quicklook on a folder you get to see the contents of that folder?

It would be great if you could then browse through your folder without ever opening it straight from Quicklook.

Selecting more than one folder and hitting quicklook will display the files in all of the selected folders.

This feature would make it easier finding that specific file in a large photo library. clicking on that specific file it will open it. If have multiple folders selected then you can choose to open the containing folder of the selected file.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLR2009 View Post

hey guys, I'm updating an idea that I have for the next operating system.

Quicklook folder Previews:

Yes I'd actually like a way of enabling QL on a folder and maybe scrubbing through it. It sounds whacky at first but when you consider that Snow Leopard goes up to 512 pixel folders it's not quite that crazy.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

You do realize that I said "apt-get like", don't you?

The difference is that Linux distributes application files all over the filesystem. OS X does not. It's all in the same .app folder, which means 99% of the issues with apt-get go away.

Seeing as I'm not a beta tester and a lot of Snow Leopard details are under NDA, how was I supposed to know there was a new installer?

Again, how was I supposed to know this?

Yeah, I agree that is annoying, which is why I asked for a new system-wide installer feature.

That's a poor excuse. There's no reason Apple can't limit the keyboard shortcut functionality by reserving some keyboard shortcuts or keeping them off limits.

I'm a home user with only a single account and a single Mac at home (I have an OpenSolaris system on my second computer) so this is really not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of keyboard shortcuts.

The idea is to take Linux binaries and run them natively, like FreeBSD does with apparent efficiency.

Like I said, I'm not a paid up beta tester, and I don't have access to NDA'd knowledge.

Because I'm too lazy? I suppose it's something I could set up after doing a bit of reading, but the point of this thread is to put together a wishlist.

No offence, but do you know anything about OpenSolaris? OpenSolaris is under CDDL, not GPL (2 or 3). Also, the multiple boot environments are driven off ZFS snapshots. The Grub configuration merely takes those snapshots and allows you to boot into them.

With ZFS and DTrace incompatible with the GPL, do you really think Sun would contribute their snapshot feature to the GPL and allow Red Hat and Novell to sell it? Dream on!

Seeing as Apple can take such a feature from Sun's CDDL code anytime they want, it would be a killer feature that Apple could use to sell OS X to enterprise customers.

Download Darwin, install GRUB2 and run your own snapshots of kernel builds as they update.

I could careless about ZFS snapshots for Kernels.

Sun won't have squat to say about the fate of ZFS very shortly. Apple wouldn't touch it if it were GPLv3.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Download Darwin, install GRUB2 and run your own snapshots of kernel builds as they update.

I could careless about ZFS snapshots for Kernels.

Sun won't have squat to say about the fate of ZFS very shortly. Apple wouldn't touch it if it were GPLv3.

What makes you think that Oracle will GPL ZFS? If Solaris will be their flagship operating system, then there's absolutely no point to them doing that. Oracle mentioned specifically in public comments that Solaris was one of the reasons they acquired Sun. Why would they then give away one of the main differentiators of that operating system to their competitor, namely Linux?

The only way Linux can get ZFS is if support for it is added to the kernel. The GPL prohibits them from using CDDL code. As long as ZFS is part of OpenSolaris and not Linux, OpenSolaris has a selling point.

Another point in favour of Solaris in a post Oracle-Sun acquisition is that Oracle runs best on Solaris. This sort of integration will be one of Oracle's main selling points when promoting an integrated database-OS solution.

Then again, I can understand why Apple doesn't want to take any chances, which is why they apparently removed ZFS from the list of supported filesystems in the Snow Leopard section of their site. Apple historical doesn't like to work with GPL'd code.