macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Where were the fart apps?

In the brown section.

You're welcome in advance.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    because i've read the previous 40+ posts and no one has mentioned it: doesn't the App Store Wall remind you of the Vietnam War Memorial?

Maybe they ought to redo the War Memorial Apple-style, because, if I'm about anything, it's good taste. It would be classssssy!
  • Reply 44 of 86
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    We have something similar in New York we can see every day. It's called Times Square.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    This is a very brilliant marketing idea.

1. To show that the App Store is a potential cash generator, both for developers and Apple.

2. To show off the state of the art technology that Apple has to bring, which means a lot for the developers.

3. It's a geeky beauty, which makes sense in a conference like WWDC.

From a business point of view, this is a more effective marketing strategy than just giving out free phones like the Google IO 2009.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Are there mutliple, overlaying fey voices accompanying the display droning :"There's an App for That"?
  • Reply 47 of 86
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post

I think the more important question is...

Why are there duplicate apps on the top 20,000 list?

The same reason there are a billion apps downloaded. Everytime I go and check upgrades on my iPhone i get upgrades from 4 months ago and then when I synch it with iTunes it re-downloads the app and then re-synchs it to my iPhone giving them 3 downloads for every app.

Top 20,000 Come on, please somebody on this board knows that this number isn't real.

It's called creative accounting where I work. You make your sales target, hold the rest as "work in progress" and then account for them on the next quarter.

But Apple has made it a lot more apparent that they are cooking their download app numbers. Upgrade, another app sold, app deleted and then downloaded again... another app sold.

You know it's the truth. I use 6 apps (all the time, Sportacular (greatest sport app I've found), AP News, USA Today, Pandora, Wall Street Journal & Shazam. They are all Free.

Yes they make the iPhone a pleasure to use. Do I need to upgrade for any of them?

No. I don't need a compass and have 3G. AT&T still sucks, as does their upgrade path but Apple knew this going into the 3G (S)ucker campaign.

You are incorrect.

Downloads are only counted the first time, updates and redownlads are not counted.

Before you accuse people of creative accounting I suggest you get your facts right.

I have never had a update download twice, if you are then you are clearlt not operating the phone correctly.

No one is suggesting you upgrade your iPhone, in fact the opposite.

If Apple wanted you to upgrade they would not be giving the V3.0 software to you for free. It would be limited to the new hardware only.

The reality of life is that hardware gets updated for many reasons.

Apple are updating the hardware not to get everyone to upgrade but to get NEW buyers.

Sure some will upgrade but many will not.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

You are correct in one context. I don't use my iPhone for Business, I have a BB Bold (corporate issued). My iPhone isn't allowed in my companies domain (not even on WiFi).

So what compelled you to call me a cheap son of a bitch? Because the iPhone 3GS wasn't a worthy upgrade for me?

I don't need a compass, I don't need Mobile Me (for $99 a year) to tell me where my phone is.

My 3G will get me by until I can find an upgrade to my phone where I don't need to pay $699 to get 2 year old features.

The best one of the day was the missed iPhone "Feature" the screen is "Oleophobic" Which means it doesn't show grease on the screen. With my 3G I rub the screen on my slacks and it's grease free.

Is this really a feature or an excuse for not having OLED?

Oleophobic. That one made my day, it was really funny that Apple would show this as a feature.

Hey Joe, my new phones screen is Oleophobic. You mean OLED? No it doesn’t show fingerprints.

LMAOROF.

You really do come over as a child instead of someone who claims to have a job.

How narrow minded of you to suggest that the only upgrade to the new iPhone is a compass. It is idiotic and crass to try to protray that message when clearly it is incorrect.

There are major updates to the 3GS phone, which you have decided to overlook to try and put across a childlike point of view :-

- Much improved performance

- New graphic chip providing improved performance

- New camera

- Video recording

- Voice Control

- Oh and a Compass!

If you are happy with your iPhone as it is then you don't need to upgrade to get any of the above new features. Can I also suggest in that case you do not need to upgrade to V3.0. Just stay with the phone you have, never upgrade.

I don't see you being forced to buy MobileMe, but to some it will be useful.

I really do hate people like you - selfish, single minded and self centered.

You cannot see father than the end of your nose, or understand the world outside the little box you appear to live in.

You are a complete TROLL!
  • Reply 49 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

I really do hate people like you - selfish, single minded and self centered.

You cannot see father than the end of your nose, or understand the world outside the little box you appear to live in.

You are a complete TROLL!

Why do you spell farther - father? Did he abuse you? Is that why the rage and why you call people names?
  • Reply 50 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do you spell farther - father? Did he abuse you? Is that why you call people names?

Hello Tecksturd, are you gonna buy a new iPhone yet?
  • Reply 51 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hello Tecksturd, are you gonna buy a new iPhone yet?

Not until I read a review emphatically stating that AT&T has totally upgraded their pisspoor network and can hold a call in NYC and elsewhere. Otherwise- what's the point?
  • Reply 52 of 86
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

I think the more important question is...

Why are there duplicate apps on the top 20,000 list?

The same reason there are a billion apps downloaded. Everytime I go and check upgrades on my iPhone i get upgrades from 4 months ago and then when I synch it with iTunes it re-downloads the app and then re-synchs it to my iPhone giving them 3 downloads for every app.

Top 20,000 Come on, please somebody on this board knows that this number isn't real.

It's called creative accounting where I work. You make your sales target, hold the rest as "work in progress" and then account for them on the next quarter.

But Apple has made it a lot more apparent that they are cooking their download app numbers. Upgrade, another app sold, app deleted and then downloaded again... another app sold.

You know it's the truth. I use 6 apps (all the time, Sportacular (greatest sport app I've found), AP News, USA Today, Pandora, Wall Street Journal & Shazam. They are all Free.

Yes they make the iPhone a pleasure to use. Do I need to upgrade for any of them?

No. I don't need a compass and have 3G. AT&T still sucks, as does their upgrade path but Apple knew this going into the 3G (S)ucker campaign.

Damn was this dude banned?
  • Reply 53 of 86
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    Maybe this could be included as a Screen Saver in Snow Leopard. It would have to scale to show the number of top apps that can fit on your screen(s), and instead of being live work with updated average sales per unit time.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Damn was this dude banned?

Why? Did he say something that personally offended you that much?
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Maybe this could be included as a Screen Saver in Snow Leopard. It would have to scale to show the number of top apps that can fit on your screen(s), and instead of being live work with updated average sales per unit time.

and bloat up the OS for those that could care less for iPhones or Touches?
  • Reply 56 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

Thats really cool. But i still wonder.. why wasnt a few Mac Pros powerful enough to do the job? They use only like 10 to make the highest graphic intense movies.. why would they need 20?

Maybe it is just easier to run stock out of the box configurations instead of custom hardware. They could just put them back in the boxes after the show and sell them as refubs. But yeah, they still could run two displays for each Mac Pro.

m
  • Reply 57 of 86
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

That's a cool idea. I know I'd like to see it on my screen. And if it's too much of a resource hog (which it shouldn't be) you could always select something else as your screen saver or not use one at all.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Why would this need 20 Mac Pros?? You would think five of them with quad DVI port Quadro cards could do the job...

Anyways, quite awesome indeed!

Exactly. In theory, couldn't they even run eight screens per tower with two quad or four dual video cards? Apple has promoted the possibility of eight screens in the past.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Probably because there are 20 screens....

What do you mean? You generally don't need one mac per screen - virtually all macs run two out of the box and with additional or better video cards you can go up to 4-8.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

and bloat up the OS for those that could care less for iPhones or Touches?

A screensaver would bloat the OS that much? Really?

They certainly could offer it as a download if it's that big.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Is anyone else thinking why did this wall of 20x 30" screens required 20x MacPros?

A MacPro has enough horsepower to run at least 4 if not 8 of those screens, including the processing horsepower. Quartz doesn't require much to produce the ripple effects on multiple items.

Maybe it was the technical challenge of synchronizing 20 MacPros.