Apple stores to open 8 a.m., AT&T stores 7 a.m. for iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    shaanshaan Posts: 2member
    I have a few questions if someone could help me out:

1. At 8am will I be able to buy an iPhone 3G S at the no-commit price of 599/699?

2. What time do you guys think the line will start to form in front of Apple Stores?

3. My local Apple Store is in a mall, will the mall open early to accommodate a line, how will this work?

Thanks.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    At &T won't have a 4G network for a while. It will be at least a couple of years. In the short term they are focused on a HSPA technology rollout.

The iPhone 3Gs can access HSPA (3.5G).

http://gigaom.com/2009/05/07/atts-sl...-taking-shape/

The next big revolution in iPhones will have more to do with Apple's homegrown chips.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

This could be my first Apple wait in line. Could be. I want my phone on Friday. First iPhone.

Anyone ever had problems porting a number? What do I need to bring with me?

go to Apple's website and fill out the whole 'get started here' thing on the iphone page. at the end you can even reserve the model you want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

When will ATT decide to publish them? The day before 3GS starts?

assume they are staying the same. they certainly aren't likely to go down. if they do then you are in luck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

You will need your account number and the person whoever is the primary on the account.

Quote:

Thanks footloose. The primary on the account is my wife and I don't see her making it to the store.

if she's the primary she has to be there. they won't let you buy it. not with a contract (and without would be $400 more and still locked to ATT)

Quote:

Did they arrive on the shipping date last year if you pre-ordered?

last year you couldn't order online. that's something that is only about 2 months old.

what you need to verify is when your existing phone goes dead. is it when they process the order or when you get it and plug it into itunes. if it is the latter than ask yourself if it makes that much of a difference if you happen to not get it until Saturday or Monday.

Quote:

If I do order online can I just port the number later from VZW?

you would likely need to run the port request at the same time. but again, if they aren't cutting your old phone until the new one goes into itunes, what's the harm. why not avoid the lines and then your wife can order from phone and you don't have to drag her to the store
  • Reply 24 of 47
    daniel0418daniel0418 Posts: 122member
    well... I asked my gf if she wanted to get it and she wants a pre.... so I won't be in line... the phone isn't even worth the price if ur not in contract.... iPhone 3g is pretty much the same thing....
  • Reply 25 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Thanks for the info Charlituna

My new plan is to order from the online Apple Store. I'm taking my wife's Verizon number and since I can't take her to the store on Friday this seems like the easiest way - as it's her account.

I'll just let AT&T assign me a number and then get it changed at an AT&T store later. Ordering online seems like the easiest way to make sure I get a phone on June 19. Barring some unforeseen incident...
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Thanks for the info Charlituna

My new plan is to order from the online Apple Store. I'm taking my wife's Verizon number and since I can't take her to the store on Friday this seems like the easiest way - as it's her account.

I'll just let AT&T assign me a number and then get it changed at an AT&T store later. Ordering online seems like the easiest way to make sure I get a phone on June 19. Barring some unforeseen incident...

You should get it. I believe its overnight shipping. I ordered Leopard for my MacBook Pro and received it on the very same day that it was released. But, nothing is guaranteed obviously. Apple usually uses Fedex for things, so I'd say you're safe.

I would order online, but my phone is in the GF's name and she needs to be to work by 8:30am (haha), so I need to make sure I'm first in line, and I cannot take the chance of having Fedex show up to my house after 4PM because I will be 2hrs away camping at that time. So, I need it first thing in the morning that day.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

You should get it. I believe its overnight shipping. I ordered Leopard for my MacBook Pro and received it on the very same day that it was released. But, nothing is guaranteed obviously. Apple usually uses Fedex for things, so I'd say you're safe.

I would order online, but my phone is in the GF's name and she needs to be to work by 8:30am (haha), so I need to make sure I'm first in line, and I cannot take the chance of having Fedex show up to my house after 4PM because I will be 2hrs away camping at that time. So, I need it first thing in the morning that day.

I just ordered it for home delivery. Pretty easy process. Now if I could just sleep until Friday...

Good luck on Friday Footloose !
  • Reply 28 of 47
    shaanshaan Posts: 2member
    Could someone answer the questions I asked a little while ago?

Many thanks.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

This could be my first Apple wait in line. Could be. I want my phone on Friday. First iPhone.

Anyone ever had problems porting a number? What do I need to bring with me?

This is what you need to bring with you if you want me to port your number over when i start selling the iphones!

Account number from your current carrier

and now this is the most important thing...................your phone number
  • Reply 30 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Queuing up would be fun. But all this telco stuff is so complicated it would be mighty embarrassing to be the among the first five and then get your application rejected because of this or that.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Has anyone seen the prices in the UK with O2?

They are ridiculously more expensive than last year's 3G, they haven't let us upgrade earlier... Just rubbish. For instance, last year's top of the line, 3G 16gb, was £149,00 with an 18 months contract at £35,00. This year's top of the line, the 3GS 32, is £274,23 with the same contract. Even the 3Gs 16gb is more expensive than last year's 16gb.

I know that this is a better phone, but time has passed... and I would expect last year's price to be kept to some extent.

I'll be sticking to mine 3G so long as they keep this ridiculous prices.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Apple fever is running high.

I found this article about apple /iphone pricing online. A good read.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...-subscription/
  • Reply 33 of 47
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    I can't imagine there will be much of a line. I don't expect many sales.

Anyone who has wanted an iPhone has one by now, especially an iPhone 3G and is in the middle of a two year contract and will have sticker shock at $399 or $499 for the phone.

Won't happen. Won't sell many.

I predict the only big seller will be the 8GB iPhone 3G for $99. And folks won't be that eager for it that they'll wait in line.

Might even be embarrassing if they make this fuss and no one shows up. Will be a bad news day.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

... iPhone 3g is pretty much the same thing....

Except for the much faster processor, double the RAM and the camera/compass hardware.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Yea, you can "get" an iPhone an hour earlier at ATT stores....if you arrive at 2am and are one of the first 10 people in line because that is all they will have on hand. Everyone else will get a "voucher" they can pick one up with "soon". Both for my 2G and my wifes 3g we went to a large ATT store several hours before they opened and didnt get one, but drove to the Apple store an hour away and got one on opening day.

Fool me twice shame on you ATT...the point is...cant get fooled again. <heh heh>

Uh, no, if you pre-order you are guaranteed one. You couldn't pre-order before, so this time it is different.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    So after watching two iphone releases bring Apple's network down for days, people are still going to buy their phones day-of release, and then have to leave it plugged into their computer for two days while the overwhelmed servers try to startup millions of phones at the same time?
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

So after watching two iphone releases bring Apple's network down for days, people are still going to buy their phones day-of release, and then have to leave it plugged into their computer for two days while the overwhelmed servers try to startup millions of phones at the same time?

I'm on the east coast. Its 8am here before it is anywhere else. I'll be first in line like I was last year and I won't have to worry about that crap.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justmemarcio View Post

Has anyone seen the prices in the UK with O2?

They are ridiculously more expensive than last year's 3G, they haven't let us upgrade earlier... Just rubbish. For instance, last year's top of the line, 3G 16gb, was £149,00 with an 18 months contract at £35,00. This year's top of the line, the 3GS 32, is £274,23 with the same contract. Even the 3Gs 16gb is more expensive than last year's 16gb.

I know that this is a better phone, but time has passed... and I would expect last year's price to be kept to some extent.

I'll be sticking to mine 3G so long as they keep this ridiculous prices.

You'll not be alone. O2 are having a laugh and with the tethering charge killing off a very useful part of the OS 3.0 update. My 3G is working fine, so I'll let the software update work it's magic and hope that the rumour of O2 losing their iPhone franchise before Dec materialises.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Uh, no, if you pre-order you are guaranteed one. You couldn't pre-order before, so this time it is different.

I pre-ordered mine at an AT&T store...and I know what AT&T is saying and all, the store said there are no guarantees.

The manager said that they will get a supply of them in for Friday, but the preorder ones may, or may not be there. Just because you pre-ordered it doesn't mean the one with your name on it will come in for Friday.

Soooo I'm kinda bothered by it as they don't have all the info that is posted here by AT&T.

I told her how the post said 2 lines should form at the store and blah blah blah (this conversation took place last Tues), but it was like talking to wall.

She told me they will call me when mine comes in, and if it is Friday, there's a good chance they will be so busy that they WON'T call any of the pre-order people as they will be too swamped.

I know, you guys probably think this is nuts. So even though I pre-ordered, the only way to guarantee myself one she said is to be there before everyone else. I'm not happy about it, I will go back on Saturday to see if they have gotten any more info from corp about it as I need my family to pick out the phones they want for the other lines.

Take this how you want and hopefully your store has been better informed and the pre-order people will get the special treatment they deserve...as it looks like so far...I won't .
  • Reply 40 of 47
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Is anyone actually expecting a huge crush for this product?

It's hard to imagine stores being much busier than normal on the 3GS release date. To the general public, the slightly revised iPhone isn't that exciting. The masses probably won't be lining up like they were for the original or 3G release. 3G was highly anticipated. Mainstream media had been harping on that features since the inception of the iPhone. It isn't like every single review has been commenting that the iphone was slow and lacked a compass. By contrast, nearly every review mentioned the lack of 3G prior to the 3G release.

There are significant changes, but they aren't as highly anticipated. This time around, Apple is actually downplaying many of the differences in favor of presenting a more unified platform to the public.