The 'Multi-Tasking' Myth - Debate

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beamer8912 View Post

I mostly want multi-tasking in order to run Pandora in the background, but it serves several other purposes as well. I think the OP confused multi-tasking with simple app switching.

Another good use for 3rd party multitasking is VOIP and web-browsing at the same time.

Quote:

For example, if I were playing a game and I received a text message, I would have to quit the game to respond to the text. The game app would literally shut down. If multi-tasking were enabled, the game could be paused and left open, the text answered, and the game returned to just as you left it. I find it most annoying while playing Crash Racing. I get a text, quit the game, answer the text, and open the game only to see that I have to restart the race.

Ostensibly, game developers should design their games to save state when the pause button is hit. If Apple was really rigorous with app reviews, this should be really high on the priority list for developers to do.

Quote:

If we don't see multitasking/background apps in an update for 3.0, we'll most certainly see it in 4.0 with the 2010 iPhone.

If we do, it'll be limited to the 3G S and later, and likely only for select as approved applications.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beamer8912 View Post

For example, if I were playing a game and I received a text message, I would have to quit the game to respond to the text. The game app would literally shut down. If multi-tasking were enabled, the game could be paused and left open, the text answered, and the game returned to just as you left it. I find it most annoying while playing Crash Racing. I get a text, quit the game, answer the text, and open the game only to see that I have to restart the race..

You don't need multi-tasking to achieve this.

You simply need suspend and restore.

Let's face it, you don't want the game to continue running while you are answering the text do you?

C.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Ostensibly, game developers should design their games to save state when the pause button is hit. If Apple was really rigorous with app reviews, this should be really high on the priority list for developers to do.

I'd appreciate a ticklist on the app store page for each app, showing what technologies they support. Saving state would be one of them.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

You don't need multi-tasking to achieve this.

You simply need suspend and restore.

Let's face it, you don't want the game to continue running while you are answering the text do you?

C.

Depends if it is multi-player and in real-time or not.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

The biggest thing for me is the speed at which you can get things done with proper multitasking. Being able to quickly switch between open apps allows you to get things done much faster than having to open and close each app you use.

This is not an argument. Not only is it not true, but it has no bearing on the case. Both OS enable fast app switching.

No part of this debate includes people who need to do 5 different tasks in 5 seconds. Slow down. Live longer.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

This ^^^^^

Most quality games have this already. It is of course the smarter approach, because it applies across the board. Not just the interruption of a call or SMS, but having to quit the game immediately for any reason. Bam, saved, no worries.

And the ultimate point is of course: BATTERY LIFE. All of these silly apps that people think need to stay open would quickly turn every whiny iPhone user into the loudest group of battery life whiners this side of the Palm Pre (not so loud, since, not so many )

And finally, for all of you Pandora freaks. As it is, streaming 3G radio kills the battery. How much faster do you want to kill this battery? Furthermore, what else do you need to do while listening? Browse the web? Check e-mail.

Perhaps you should e-mail Pandora and tell them to get on the developing ball. Flycast, a far superior streaming radio app, has TWO different methods of getting around the lack of background.

#1. They have a background feature, which will redirect your audio stream into Safari > Quicktime. This enables you to play the stream, leave Safari, and use the rest of the phone. E-mail, SMS, and another web browser (such as FULL SCREEN webbrowser) help satisfy the needs.

#2. Built In Web Browser. If your needs are simply web browsing (or email through G-mail), you can take advantage of Flycast's built in web browser. Listen while browsing.

Any other complaints?
  • Reply 47 of 48
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Any other complaints?

I'm no gamer but a valid gripe would be for networked multi-player games. Say you're against someone online, a much better experience would be for players to be able to use texting functionality without needing to inform the other player "don't wory, i'm not going anywhere".
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is not an argument. Not only is it not true, but it has no bearing on the case. Both OS enable fast app switching.

No part of this debate includes people who need to do 5 different tasks in 5 seconds. Slow down. Live longer.

This is not a valid statement.