University claims Apple's glossy screens may cause injury

Comments

• Reply 21 of 335
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Where was this study when we had glossy CRT monitors and standard TV sets years back? I even remember using glossy monitor filters at that time. Well, I guess it is a university and somehow they need research funding.

My previous employer IT people were going crazy because employees keep scratching their desktop LCD screen with their fingernails and their pens when they try to point out at things on the screen. LOL.
  • Reply 22 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Nope, all I'm saying is that it is rightful for Appleinsider to report this news and it is reasonable for Apple fans to take serious about the fact that Apple has lowered the bar just to entertain the consumers.

It seems to me that a company should try to give consumers what they want.
  • Reply 23 of 335
    midiacmidiac Posts: 23member
    I for one, have chosen not to upgrade to any of the new MacBooks, simply because of this issue. . . Firewire went away, and then came back, I'm dearly hoping for the same thing and the matte screen option. TOOO Flippin' Annoying!
  • Reply 24 of 335
    jroyjroy Posts: 29member
    Yes, it would be good if Apple extended the matte screen options to 15 and 13" Macbooks and Apple monitors. Has anyone compared the matte film add-ons to the native matte option on the 17" Mac? If it hasn't happened already, it's time for someone to publish such a comparison on several dimensions (brightness, sharpness, viewing angle, etc.). If a matte film provides a high-quality non-glare display, then we need to know about it.
  • Reply 25 of 335
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

. This goes to show that Apple acknowledges the glaring issue of the glossy screen already and does not want to admit it because bunch of ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.

That's a terrible pun, or didn't you mean it like that?
  • Reply 26 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post

This issue won't go away, no matter how much you try to gloss it over.

//Yes, I was just waiting for an opening to say that.

So bad it?s good.
  • Reply 27 of 335
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Because of this data, I'm going around my house and putting wax paper on all the windows and glass on the doors. Next Im going to my car and wax papering those glossy glass windows. The last thing Im gonna do is go to the Apple store and wax paper all that shiny glasss in the front!! Maybe I'll put plastic over my electric plugs so they won't leak AC onto the floor. Boy, this talk of all this work makes me hungry. I think I'll get in my Hummer, fill up the tank and head on over to McDs and get some corn based hi fat food. BS BS BS!!! According to this study, looking out the window will cramp my style! (ALL THE OTHER PUNS POSTED ARE GOOD THOUGH!)
  • Reply 28 of 335
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Well now the iPhone has matte glass, iPresume it will come to the MacBooks and iMacs...
  • Reply 29 of 335
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This comes form a country, where crocks, and sharks can kill and eat you, more people are stung by jellyfish, where a kangaroo could kick your ass, and more people die in cars because of impact with kangaroo, I think there is more to worry about then whether stupid people know how to adjust their screen to reduce glare..
  • Reply 30 of 335
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Well now the iPhone has matte glass, iPresume it will come to the MacBooks and iMacs...

Don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 31 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The only question is why focus on Apple. These screens have been around for quite some time, as has the problems identified. It makes no sense not to issue a general comment. Why focus on any particular manufacturer?

I can't speak for QUT, or Queensland in general, but in law lectures at Monash University in Melbourne (also in Australia, for those who aren't familiar with our country), the MacBook is the most common laptop. The majority is still Windows based, but Apple is the single most common manufacturer.

The unibody MacBooks are particularly noticeable in terms of reflections on the screens, and this is probably where the problem stood out most.
  • Reply 32 of 335
    stop the whining already......

If people really hated them that much don't you think the MacBook would be a horrible sales flop?

I've had my glossy MacBook since the first gen was introduced and I have no issues with it whatsoever. I agree with the protection quality of having a glossy screen. I can't stand when people think that they have to actually touch the LCD screen to point out something.

Oh I'm sorry did I say "touch"? I meant to say "push as f#cking hard as possible to cause puddling" on the screen just to show me where they are referring to. I wish my 47" HDTV was glossy. Then I wouldn't have to play "Bat the Cat" every time I'm watching something that has a fast moving object on the screen and my cat thinks she has to dart at the screen and try and scratch at it.
  • Reply 33 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Queensland recommends that users of such products conduct an assessment of the area in which those products are to be used to ensure the sources of reflections and glare are eliminated or minimised to reduce the potential for injury. It advises users to close their blinds or window shades and place the glossy displays at a 90 degree angle to any overhead lighting to minimise glare and reflection.

Queensland is a state. It's rather misleading for you to write that Queensland makes these recommendations.

It's a bit like attributing a statement made on a UC Berkeley website to California, just because California is part of the university's name.

The proper abbreviation for Queensland University of Technology is the acronym QUT, which is how the university is commonly referred to in Australia.
  • Reply 34 of 335
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Quote:

Apple knows that glossy screen has glaring issues. How do I know? Because they have an anti-glare option for the 17" MacBook Pro. They just don't want to admit the issue because many ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.

Such an ignorant post....

So I'm ignorant because I happen to like glossy screens? I really don't have issues with glare and I have both a unibody MacBook and a 24" Aluminum iMac. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean everyone else is a moron for liking them. You need to think outside the box and not just in your own little world.

The fact that Apple sells millions of Macs every quarter with glossy screens tells me that people happen to like them. There is a small crowd (and a very loud one) that doesn't like them. The fact that they voice their opinion very loud makes this crowd bigger than it really is. If there was a problem people wouldn't be buying these products.
  • Reply 35 of 335
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

All I can say is: as if they didn't suck hard enough already. Now we've got proof (of sorts).

......but cause chiropractic subluxations and uneccessary eyestrain?

Should only be allowed on LED screens which the iMAc and MacBook are not.
  • Reply 36 of 335
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

It does?

I am looking at mine right now and I would swear that you are lying.
  • Reply 37 of 335
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

So I'm ignorant because I happen to like glossy screens? I really don't have issues with glare and I have both a unibody MacBook and a 24" Aluminum iMac. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean everyone else is a moron for liking them. You need to think outside the box and not just in your own little world.

The fact that Apple sells millions of Macs every quarter with glossy screens tells me that people happen to like them. There is a small crowd (and a very loud one) that doesn't like them. The fact that they voice their opinion very loud makes this crowd bigger than it really is. If there was a problem people wouldn't be buying these products.

No you're just ignorant because you refuse to acknowledge that Apple now offers matte after everyone said they would not.
  • Reply 38 of 335
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If the glare was such an issue then why is it only on the 17?. Why is it only an option? Why do customers like it more if it?s such a problem?

You ignored the obvious. If there is no glare issue on the glossy screen, why bother providing an anti-glare then?

A large number of consumers, if not most consumers, are ignorant. Period.

Why only on the 17" for the anti-glare option? We need to know that the 17" model is the high-end model. People who tend to buy the 17" are more likely to be more aware and intelligent about the screen quality compared to the mainstream consumers, like most consumers are happy with their 6-bit TN screen.
  • Reply 39 of 335
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yours as well. People who can't acknowledge a problem doesn't mean there is no problem. If you can only make a judgment based on the number of crowds supporting the idea, then you're obviously ignorant.
  • Reply 40 of 335
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It seems to me that a company should try to give consumers what they want.

You nailed it.