MobileMe pushes out new Find My iPhone, Remote Wipe service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's in "Mail and Contacts" for some reason.

I still can't see it

do you need to have specific apps that support it?

if so what ones?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grlym View Post

ha ha, you're using an aerial of Steve Job's abandoned Woodside house for the target for finding your iPhone !http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

is that steve's place? i found it in maps by bruteforce method!
  • Reply 23 of 30
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scchang View Post

Does the feature work with all iPhones on a MobileMe family pack from all user accounts. In other words, can I track my family? I suspect it only will track the phone corresponding to the logged in user.

Every account on your family account will have this feature. Every MobileMe family account is actually a full account with less storage (except for the master account with 20GB storage). However, to track someone in your family you have to log in to their account using a web browser by going to me.com and using their user name and password. In other word, you cannot track them from your master MobileMe account.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottj View Post

I tested the remote wipe. It did immediately reset the iPhone, and send me an email that the phone had been wiped. The email said it takes up to 2 hours to reset, and during that time you will see the Apple logo screen.

The bad news is that I have been waiting over 4 hours for my first gen 4GB iPhone to complete it's wipe, so that I can restore it. In theory this should be the phone that takes the least amount of time to wipe and restore. Pressing the on/off switch brings up the Apple screen, which goes away after 30 seconds or so. Otherwise nothing. iTunes does not recognize it.

I would advise against using this feature, except in an emergency.

The new iPhone 3GS supposed to be able to remote wipe instantaneously meaning no more waiting.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    nelionelio Posts: 1member
    I normaly don't activate my gps to get better battery life. Find My iPhone should activate it remotely (or provide a much better battery)
  • Reply 26 of 30
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

Now then, boys...

omg I can't believe nobody got that refrence.

It was an SNL skit. The commercial talked about a bank's new website, but since they were late to getting on the web, all the web addresses were taken so clownPenis.fart was all that was left.

http://www.tressugar.com/1965732

Too funneh
  • Reply 27 of 30
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

"Once wiped, your iPhone will no longer be able to display messages or be located".

That's terrible!! You want to wipe it to protect your privacy - but then you want to proceed in trying to locate it. Fix this Apple!

Think about it.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottj View Post

I tested the remote wipe. It did immediately reset the iPhone, and send me an email that the phone had been wiped. The email said it takes up to 2 hours to reset, and during that time you will see the Apple logo screen.

The bad news is that I have been waiting over 4 hours for my first gen 4GB iPhone to complete it's wipe, so that I can restore it. In theory this should be the phone that takes the least amount of time to wipe and restore. Pressing the on/off switch brings up the Apple screen, which goes away after 30 seconds or so. Otherwise nothing. iTunes does not recognize it.

I would advise against using this feature, except in an emergency.

13h for me. And I just fix it now.

Try that.

1. Wake your iphone up so you see the apple logo

2. Hold down the power button (the one on top) and the home button until the screen goes black.

3. This turns the phone off, don't keep holding the button or the phone will restart

4. Now that the phone is off, press and hold the home button

5. While holding the home button connect your phone back to your computer, continue to hold the home button until itunes says it has found a phone that needs to be restored.

6. restore phone

Basically your just turning the phone off and putting it in force recovery mode
  • Reply 29 of 30
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

im interested in this but there are no decent mobile me usernames left I wish they'd purge the unpaid accounts to free up some names

Those names can still be used by iChat for free forever. There's not much they can do.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

"Once wiped, your iPhone will no longer be able to display messages or be located".

That's terrible!! You want to wipe it to protect your privacy - but then you want to proceed in trying to locate it. Fix this Apple!

I would guess that it's not so easy to find after you wipe all of the information off of it.