RIM once again ships 7.8m BlackBerries as new iPhone looms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    I have a friend with a Blackberry. He likes the iPhone but just can't get used to a touchscreen keyboard. To each his own.

I guess both apple and rim will be around for a long time
  • Reply 22 of 77
    Nobody wants to see the iphone on Verizon more than me. This is there third release of the iphone and refuse to switch to a lower end carrier. When they start to offer different carriers you will see some staggering numbers. Guys if you want Apple to hear you loud and clear, flood there iphone feedback page. And tell them, make your voice heard. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  • Reply 23 of 77
    danielchowdanielchow Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It never ends. The same tired old thinking just never dies. Rim does not have to lose for Apple to win. Both can succeed fantastically.

DITTO. both products cater to two different market. i'm very partial to the iphone, and at the same time i don't see the iphone as an ideal fit for all other users. i think if a company tries to create a product that fits all users, then it may likely stumble or fail. i think both companies will do very well catering to their target audiences.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Frankly who cares, I want RIM to succeed, they are a Canadian company.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Buy one get one free had nothing to do with their record shipments.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It never ends. The same tired old thinking just never dies. Rim does not have to lose for Apple to win. Both can succeed fantastically.

Completely agree. It is a rather pointless exercise in comparing the two or. First of all, the iPhone is mobile computer platform, not a "smartphone". Its reach and capabilities go beyond the smartphone market. The success of the iPhone should not only be limited to its share of the smartphone market; iPod touch sales should be factored in as well.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by earth.mover View Post

Nobody wants to see the iphone on Verizon more than me. This is there third release of the iphone and refuse to switch to a lower end carrier.

The fact of the matter is, every carrier is a piece $hit. I don't care what experiences you've had. For every person that thinks AT&T sucks, there's a person who doesn't. Ditto for every other carrier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by earth.mover View Post

When they start to offer different carriers you will see some staggering numbers. Guys if you want Apple to hear you loud and clear, flood there iphone feedback page. And tell them, make your voice heard. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Won't happen. The point of using GSM is that they can make one phone and be able to use it all over the world. Each model of iPhone is the exact same all over the planet. The US iPhone isn't any different from the Japanese iPhone, not even in software. The only difference is the language people have their iPhone set to. That's a very powerful and efficient design.

What will happen... all carriers will begin to move towards one standard, or at least offer it as an option. Most of them all have plans to move 4G in a couple of years. I predict that's when Apple will allow other carriers in the US to offer the iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    My opinion, tough economy, people are going to spend money that makes them money.

And choosing products close to how their corporation does things will be very important.

If Apple could have convinced corporate IT with a good product and matching software, RIM would have fallen like dominos.

Apple will be delegated to their rich consumer niche once again I'm afraid.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

My opinion, tough economy, people are going to spend money that makes them money.

And choosing products close to how their corporation does things will be very important.

If Apple could have convinced corporate IT with a good product and matching software, RIM would have fallen like dominos.

Apple will be delegated to their rich consumer niche once again I'm afraid.

Companies don?t have to fall like dominos for another to succeed. The smartphone market is growing rapidly, so the iPhone succeed in corporate America while BB sales still increase.

I guess you expected Apple to come running out of the gate with the HW, OS and App Store they have right now, but that just isn?t feasible. These things take time and Apple has been growing the brand quit well. They have increasing appealed to businesses and will continue to do so.

It?s quite possible for an iPhone connected to Exchange to be cheaper than any BB connected to Exchange via BES. The more expensive argument is a reason why companies may drop BBs to save money, and why RiM may lose profits and adjust their aging business model.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    do they track how many are to replace lost and or damaged units? i know someone who just got a new black berry because he lost his. Of course there will be a certain number of lost or damaged iPhones as well.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    lower gross margins is the key

RIM is cutting prices on it's phones because of competition from Apple and these numbers don't take into account the 3G S or the lower prices on the 3G
  • Reply 32 of 77
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Sigh......

I remember when this was an apple computer site.

Those were the days......
  • Reply 33 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

lower gross margins is the key

RIM is cutting prices on it's phones because of competition from Apple and these numbers don't take into account the 3G S or the lower prices on the 3G

They do have high margins and they do make the bulk of their money from their BES services so it does look like they can lose margins and offer BOGO without affecting their bottom line too much.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Frankly who cares, I want RIM to succeed, they are a Canadian company.

How very patriotic. But perhaps you should want a company to succeed because of the quality of its products and/or services...not because it's a Canadian.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Someone should tell RIM that it's all about the software...

I thought it was all about the call connection. \
  • Reply 36 of 77
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Won't happen. The point of using GSM is that they can make one phone and be able to use it all over the world. Each model of iPhone is the exact same all over the planet. The US iPhone isn't any different from the Japanese iPhone, not even in software. The only difference is the language people have their iPhone set to. That's a very powerful and efficient design.

What will happen... all carriers will begin to move towards one standard, or at least offer it as an option. Most of them all have plans to move 4G in a couple of years. I predict that's when Apple will allow other carriers in the US to offer the iPhone.

Until standardization does happen, all Apple is doing is limiting their market. Customers, both consumer and corporate, have their reasons for wanting to use a specific provider. RIM will always sell more phones because more people have access to those phones due to them being on nearly every carrier regardless of the system they use.

Apple is replacing their hardware every year anyway. They should offer both CDMA and GSM options for now, then standardize on LTE/4G when the carriers do.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Sigh......

I remember when this was an apple computer site.

Those were the days......

You got that right. Now its the "iPhone with the lousy AT&T contract" site.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Until standardization does happen, all Apple is doing is limiting their market. Customers, both consumer and corporate, have their reasons for wanting to use a specific provider. RIM will always sell more phones because more people have access to those phones due to them being on nearly every carrier regardless of the system they use.

Apple is replacing their hardware every year anyway. They should offer both CDMA and GSM options for now, then standardize on LTE/4G when the carriers do.

I've always said the same thing but you'll hear a lot of BS how that's not Apple's "business model" followed by bitching and complaining about every other product it competes against especially from sloppyism.

Meanwhile RIM has 55% and Apple 20%. Apple has taken a page right out of the Motorola RAZR history- not offering diversity of product. If its only about the OS - then why not more phones?
  • Reply 39 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Apple did it for a reason - in exchange for exclusivity, they were able to get ATT to agree to various technical and financial issues that they never had agreed to before, and probably never would have with out the exclusivity.

They could have, but it likely would have meant not getting all the things they asked for (some of which are things that make iPhone stand out).

I think Apple was probably smart to start with one carrier, but now that they are established and have the clout, I think it would benefit them to expand to other carriers as soon as they can.

OK- fine, then y'all stop speculating how Apple will overtake RIM already. What's the point?
  • Reply 40 of 77
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"iPhone 3G is a year-old product," the company says.

... and there you have it. RIM is still not recognizing the REAL power of the iPhone: that it is like a chameleon and can become more powerful via OS upgrades and availability of new killer apps. It is understandable that RIM's products can't quite morph like the iPhone platform, but it is inexcusable that RIM can't recognize the very quality that they need to emulate if they want to stay relevant.

To proclaim that a device is "one year old" is to be naive about where this is all headed: smartphones will become handheld computers, and the iPhone is already there. If RIM takes a while to achieve that status, that will be OK, but if they don't even realize that that should be their goal, then their doom is sealed.

Message to RIM: get your head out of the old paradigm in which smart phones are about hardware and into the new reality where smart phones are computers with ever-changing abilities.

Thompson