Jobs seen back on Apple campus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Sorry, but this is bugging me:

Apart from that sentence being a horrendous run-on, adverbs and their predicates shouldn't be separated by a subordinating clauses. Additionally, the "but not always" clause is unnecessary because "often" implies that an occurrence is not "always." Once could say "not the silver Mercedes SL he's often known to drive to work." This gives the idiomatic meaning that people familiar with Steve know he usually drives his silver Mercedes SL to work. Alternatively, one could say: "not the silver Mercedes SL he's known to drive to work often." This second option has a nuanced difference that gives the meaning that it known that Steve drives his silver Mercedes SL to work frequently. The first option is preferable because "often" modifies "known."

I can't believe you're slating the grammar etc in the article, when your post is so full of bad grammar and typos!!!!!!

All too often posters here are so quick to slate a slip-up in grammar or typos, but they don't stop to think that there is often pressure to release a breaking story in haste. This is not an English class we're attending. What does it matter as long as we can get the gist of what is being said. You must lead a boring life.

• Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

It is fascinating to read some of the comments that are being posted on this and other forums about Jobs' health and return to work.

I am happy he seems to be healthier, and hope he lives a long life. As I wish for every human being.

But when I read something like: (see above)

"But as good as they (the apple team) are, they can only go where Steve points them. Hooray for the ship! But Steve is in charge of the rudder!"

I am very much reminded of growing up in a totalitarian country, in which the great leader/dictator was praised with endless adulation. The above quote could be straight off the front page of North Korea's official newspapers. "Our beloved Leader has returned to look after us as only he can with his divine wisdom"

Or from 'Time' magazine: (Replace Kim with Steve and Pyongyang with Apple):

"An easy way of summing up Kim's life in one sentence would be to throw in the words reportedly, allegedly and the occasional is said to. So little is known for sure about him ? and so widespread are the myths about him generated by Pyongyang's tireless propaganda machine ?that the real story of North Korea's leader can be hard to divine"

Of course the genius of Apple is that they don't have to build fences to keep the "citizens" loyal, and he does not need a tireless propaganda machine. The user base is loyal and the customers happily and tirelessly generate hype and buzz of their own accord; and constantly elevate him to new heights of awesomeness, he doesn't need a secret police or control of the military.

I am sure that were they alive today the leaders of many an eastern european state would be taking lessons from Jobs' strategies and tactics when it comes to propaganda.

Just a few thoughts about loving a leader you have never met, and a leader who enjoys similar adoration to leaders of cults and sects around the world.

And before anybody feels the need to strike me as hater or other silly words: I repeat, I'm happy that it seems he's healthier, and I enjoy using Apple products very much. They work well and are beautifully designed. It's the unquestioning nature of many of their customers which always worries me. Do they feel the need to pour adoration on a leader? It's not as if Apple are giving away their hard and software. Can't the customers just buy & use the computers and phones without an emotional involvement with the CEO?

Sigh. Why can't Steve be Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix or John Lennon for a change? He's always predictably some communist dictator just because he has dedicated fans. Sorry, you're neither clever nor original for making that dumb analogy.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Here is an article in Today's Guardian (UK national newspaper) some of you may find interesting:

What's driving Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 24 of 58
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

...and the colored girls go ...do dado do dado ....
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:

It is fascinating to read some of the comments that are being posted on this and other forums about Jobs' health and return to work.

I am happy he seems to be healthier, and hope he lives a long life. As I wish for every human being.

"But as good as they (the apple team) are, they can only go where Steve points them. Hooray for the ship! But Steve is in charge of the rudder!"

I am very much reminded of growing up in a totalitarian country, in which the great leader/dictator was praised with endless adulation. The above quote could be straight off the front page of North Korea's official newspapers. "Our beloved Leader has returned to look after us as only he can with his divine wisdom"

"An easy way of summing up Kim's life in one sentence would be to throw in the words reportedly, allegedly and the occasional is said to. So little is known for sure about him ? and so widespread are the myths about him generated by Pyongyang's tireless propaganda machine ?that the real story of North Korea's leader can be hard to divine"

Of course the genius of Apple is that they don't have to build fences to keep the "citizens" loyal, and he does not need a tireless propaganda machine. The user base is loyal and the customers happily and tirelessly generate hype and buzz of their own accord; and constantly elevate him to new heights of awesomeness, he doesn't need a secret police or control of the military.

I am sure that were they alive today the leaders of many an eastern european state would be taking lessons from Jobs' strategies and tactics when it comes to propaganda.

Just a few thoughts about loving a leader you have never met, and a leader who enjoys similar adoration to leaders of cults and sects around the world.

And before anybody feels the need to strike me as hater or other silly words: I repeat, I'm happy that it seems he's healthier, and I enjoy using Apple products very much. They work well and are beautifully designed. It's the unquestioning nature of many of their customers which always worries me. Do they feel the need to pour adoration on a leader? It's not as if Apple are giving away their hard and software. Can't the customers just buy & use the computers and phones without an emotional involvement with the CEO?

First off david no ones attacking you , and if they do we will ban there asses. ok

I get the feeling you just watched a bunch of world domination movies ? No ? Or a bill gates movie . STEVE job fans are not hitlers army. No way . Why can't you accept that we simply love the guy.

Steve jobs story reads like a greek tragedy with real life mad scientist inventions and a true wild west gun fighter, shooting it out with the evil ones for decades . Apple PIXAR next APPLE .All joking aside many people are worried about steve and want him to get well.

• Reply 26 of 58
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

...and the colored girls go ...do dado do dado ....

And the Microsoft line;

"Then I guess she had to crash..."
  • Reply 27 of 58
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:

First off david no ones attacking you , and if they do we will ban there asses. ok

I get the feeling you just watched a bunch of world domination movies ? No ? Or a bill gates movie . STEVE job fans are not hitlers army. No way . Why can't you accept that we simply love the guy.

Steve jobs story reads like a greek tragedy with real life mad scientist inventions and a true wild west gun fighter, shooting it out with the evil ones for decades . Apple PIXAR next APPLE .All joking aside many people are worried about steve and want him to get well.

Umm, yeah, ok....
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Umm, yeah, ok....

All joking aside

yes
  • Reply 29 of 58
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Your not very clever for responding to an analogy that you think is dumb. Calling someone's idea dumb is also rude. The guy was responding to a comment that claims Apple is incapable of operating without Steve. Apple owes a lot to Jobs and probably will benefit from his return to the job, but as Jobs himself has said, he rebuilt the company to be capable of running without him. When Jobs leaves, Apple will continue to be Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwervel16 View Post

Sigh. Why can't Steve be Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix or John Lennon for a change? He's always predictably some communist dictator just because he has dedicated fans. Sorry, you're neither clever nor original for making that dumb analogy.

• Reply 30 of 58
    Wanna met me there ?
  • Reply 31 of 58
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I regret Steve Jobs' return as Apple's CEO, not only because it holds back the company, but because the added stress will shorten his life expectancy.

Your first assertion is unsupportable.

Your second is too. It may shorten his life expectancy. It may prolong it. You have no idea, and neither do I, without knowing the man a lot better than either of us do. Always remember that people tend to thrive when they're doing what they love, and they languish when forcibly separated from same. What may seem a great stress in your eyes might turn out to be considerably less than the stress he'd experience if forced into the position of a spectator, seeing decisions being made that he'd have made differently and seeing products being released that he considered insufficiently polished.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

I can't believe you're slating the grammar etc in the article, when your post is so full of bad grammar and typos!!!!!!

All too often posters here are so quick to slate a slip-up in grammar or typos, but they don't stop to think that there is often pressure to release a breaking story in haste. This is not an English class we're attending. What does it matter as long as we can get the gist of what is being said. You must lead a boring life.

You, sir, are a buffoon.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I regret Steve Jobs' return as Apple's CEO, not only because it holds back the company, but because the added stress will shorten his life expectancy. Steve Jobs deserves better. Steve Jobs should enjoy his tremendous wealth and take a well deserved retirement. Does he really want to die on the job?

I agree. Take the Chairman job and spend time with the family.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Very well said.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

What does it matter as long as we can get the gist of what is being said. You must lead a boring life.

it matters because AI touts itself as a legitimate news outlet, not a rumor mill / blogsite. They use terms like "Cupertino-based company" in every friggin article, as if anybody on this site is unaware of where Apple is headquartered. If they're gonna be "journalists" then have an Editor who "edits" posts before they go up.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

You totally missed the point of his post.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post

You, sir, are a buffoon.

"Get off your horse (Cavallo) and drink your milk"
  • Reply 38 of 58
    you'll know it.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    I honestly had no idea they can do liver transplants!

Back on the BINGE!
  • Reply 40 of 58
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    He wears the black turtle and jeans in his everyday life? I thought that just a keynote thing. Between that and the black car, after the pain he went through I guess we wanted to paint it black.