Apple undersells, over-delivers on iPhone 3GS speed - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In controlled JavaScript Web site renders, the iPhone 3GS is... 5.5 times faster than the T-Mobile G1, according to a new study...

Of the mobile platforms, the iPhone 3GS came away the clear winner, besting the times of the iPhone 3G and Palm Pre by clear margins. The 3GS took an average of 16.5 seconds to render the page, while the... T-Mobile G1 took 91.1 seconds.

Actually, the 3GS is about 5.5 times as fast as, or about 4.5 times faster than the T-Mobile G1.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For WinMo they should use Opera, like Chronster stated, as well Iris, which is the first and only mobile browser to score a 100/100 on Acid3. IT’s obviously based on WebKit.

Well, seems fair to test against the shipped browser. Of course Opera can be tested as well. Never heard of Iris, but throw it in as well.

Just wanted to see the figures for academic reasons.

Quote:

http://www.torchmobile.com/blog/?p=21 wrote:

Test Equipment: HTC Touch Pro, Standard ROM, connection to server via ActiveSync

Benchmark: SunSpider

Browser Results:

Access NetFront 3.5 2388.7s

Opera Mobile 9.5 (built-in) 219.0s

Pocket IE (built-in) Unable to complete

Iris Browser 1.1.2 115.0s

• Reply 23 of 36
    jdlinkjdlink Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Dudes, does anybody know of places I can get some cash for my 1G Iphone. Looking to upgrade to 3GS.....

Other than Craiglist or Ebay.....

Cause its so much snappier.

I saw mention of this site in a New York Times article. I have no experience with them myself.

http://www.gazelle.com/iphone
  • Reply 24 of 36
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Sounds great to me. I think I might just buy one of these (now that they are fully featured and full throttle).
  • Reply 25 of 36
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

steviet02 is right about clearing all caches and rebooting the 3G works great.

Virgil TB-2

Quote:

While it's true that Safari shouldn't behave like that and a reboot or a cache clear will probably fix it, I have noticed more than a few pauses and glitches on my 3G iPhone running the 3.0 update as opposed to my partner's 3Gs iPhone running the same software.

Every once in a while there is a terrific pause that makes you think the thing has died, the scariest of all is that four or five times so far it has failed to register the swipe to open the home screen for up to 30 seconds or so. It always eventually opens, but there's enough time to swipe madly four or five times and just enough time for smidge of panic to set in before it does.

The software is definitely optimised for 3Gs IMO, not 3G, but I'm sure a 3.0.1 update will fix it.

I had the same problem you were and gave it a shot. 3.0 is much quicker in all areas on my 3G. Safari page load times are MUCH quicker, mail, loading apps. Very happy with the 3.0 update so far and haven't ran into any problems or bugs yet.

I have not experienced any glitches that your experiencing. I keep about 2GB free on my phone as a practice. I run 10 non Apple aps on my phone and none of them are games.

Keeping fingers crossed but only way I could be happier is if it were on a 3GS and not a 3G (always next year when my contract expires).
  • Reply 26 of 36
    I have to agree with this analysis. Just last night, a friend of mine who purchased a 3GS, a friend with the prior 3G, and myself--with the Edge version--all did speed comparisons using Safari.

The 3GS was lightning-fast. Pages loaded almost 30 seconds faster than the 3G, and my Edge was completely left in the dust. Not only that, but apps opened twice as fast as the 3G.

Not that I needed much convincing, but I'm getting the 3GS. It's totally worth it.

--GTSC
  • Reply 27 of 36
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

I have not experienced any glitches that your experiencing. I keep about 2GB free on my phone as a practice. I run 10 non Apple aps on my phone and none of them are games.

Keeping fingers crossed but only way I could be happier is if it were on a 3GS and not a 3G (always next year when my contract expires).

I usually only have 1GB or so empty on my iPhone, although that shouldn't matter. I guess it's possible that in some situations the OS uses the NAND for a cache rather than the system memory?

Either way it's a minor thing and sure to be fixed in the next minor update or firmware patch (at least based on Apple's past practices).
  • Reply 28 of 36
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I wonder how PocketIE does on Windows Mobile (6.0 and 6.5)? Someone, please test, if you have such a device to hand.

Not all mobile browsers can run the test. On some platform it just fails, so no score to report.

Edit:

Oh, this was specifically quoted by Hattig above.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I don't really know anyone who prefers pocket IE on windows mobile over opera mobile or even skyfire. The iphone might be better, but there's no point. Testing it against the newest opera 9.7 beta might be an interesting test though.

Opera 10 Beta. That's the Acid 3 compliant version with their new engine.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    adniumadnium Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Medialets?s test aimed for a fair way to compare each of the major smartphone platforms. Because they all run very different operating systems, to compare their ability to run applications would be a misnomer.

No, it would not be a misnomer, because the definition of misnomer is:

Quote:

1 A wrong name or designation. LME.

S. Brett Hickton's rehearsal schedule (probably a misnomer for a process that was continuous).

2 The use of a wrong name; a misapplication of a term. M17.

B. Geldof To call the place a camp would have been a misnomer.

From the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

Since this is a comparative study, to compare their ability to run applications would be misrepresentative, but not a misnomer as stated in the post, since there would be no misapplication of terms.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

I have to agree with this analysis. Just last night, a friend of mine who purchased a 3GS, a friend with the prior 3G, and myself--with the Edge version--all did speed comparisons using Safari.

The 3GS was lightning-fast. Pages loaded almost 30 seconds faster than the 3G, and my Edge was completely left in the dust. Not only that, but apps opened twice as fast as the 3G.

Not that I needed much convincing, but I'm getting the 3GS. It's totally worth it.

--GTSC

I had a 3GS the last 3 days (well, I spent all day at work with it) and noticed improvement but nowhere NEAR that much

I would say 3GS loaded 5-7 faster than 3g and Apps 2-3 seconds quicker

Improved? Yes....but nothing outragous

Wifi wise, I always thought my 3g was incredibly fast.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

The 3Gs will be my first iPhone. Next year you'll be taking delivery of a new 4Gs and we'll all be saying 'oh well, when my current contract ends'!

Comes around and goes around.

All the best.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:

For WinMo they should use Opera, like Chronster stated, as well Iris, which is the first and only mobile browser to score a 100/100 on Acid3. IT?s obviously based on WebKit.

Opera is in no shape or form, based on Webkit, they use their own engine, called Presto.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Opera is in no shape or form, based on Webkit, they use their own engine, called Presto.

Iris is based on WebKit, it’s the first and only current release mobile browser to score a 100/100 on Acid3. Note that a score of 100/100 does not imply passing.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Iris is based on WebKit, it?s the first and only current release mobile browser to score a 100/100 on Acid3. Note that a score of 100/100 does not imply passing.

For those not familiar with the Acid Tests, here is the link: <http://www.acidtests.org/>;

Note that after you run the Acid3 test you can click on the "A" in Acid and get some additional comments.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Just got my 3GS (on sale today in Japan).... WOW it's fast!

Apps open much faster, Safari loads pages faster... wow. wow. wow.

Happy camper here.