Apple's profit margin on Mac minis slimmer than usual

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 202
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And you've accounted for every possible variable for the price difference?

No, as I don't know AU tax and import regulations, but I do know that electronic items in AU are usually a lot cheaper in AU than in NZ, so why are they getting charged so much more for the Mac Mini?

Quote:

Are you inferring that that prices should be adjusted on a regular, perhaps daily, basis to accommodate the exchange rate differences? This is the Mac Mini we're talking about here. A machine that has not changed its look since the PPC days and tends to go a very long time between even basic spec upgrades. It's not exactly Apple's primary Mac focus.

No, I am saying Apple was quick to call the extreme drop in the value of the US$ a blip, but quick to raise prices when the US$ gained a little
  • Reply 202 of 202
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

But there are extra costs for Apple. It costs them more pre unit than it does for the US. That is a fact! Whether iit accounts for the full price difference is another story, but there are most costs involved and usually less product being sold that need to absorb those costs.

As I pointed out earlier, the "price difference" was in the other direction just a few months ago, when the mini actually cost less in Australia priced in converted US dollars than in the US. Nobody seemed to notice then. It's kind of funny to hear people living in countries with relatively strong currencies complaining about being gypped because they don't get instant discounts whenever their currencies improved. Of course they'd howl like stuck pigs if prices immediately increased when their currencies weakened.