Briefly: more affordable iMacs from Apple expected by fall

Comments

• Reply 161 of 209
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Here's some thoughts...

? Would Apple kill off the 20-inch and go exclusively 24-inch across the line?

? Integrate LED backlighting with the wide color gamuts, at the same time removing the "chin" from the product?

? Would Apple in effect make two separate product lines...one with Quad processors, the other with the dual cores?

? If Apple reduces the prices of the iMac line as has been rumored, that probably kills the possibility of shifting to LED backlighting + quad core CPUs.

? SD Card readers are a shoo-in

? New enclosure? Unibody?
  • Reply 162 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Here's some thoughts...

— Would Apple kill off the 20-inch and go exclusively 24-inch across the line?

— Integrate LED backlighting with the wide color gamuts, at the same time removing the "chin" from the product?

— Would Apple in effect make two separate product lines...one with Quad processors, the other with the dual cores?

— If Apple reduces the prices of the iMac line as has been rumored, that probably kills the possibility of shifting to LED backlighting + quad core CPUs.

— SD Card readers are a shoo-in

— New enclosure? Unibody?

— I don’t think the removal of the 20-incher has come yet, and when it does come I think we’ll have a larger, say 30-inch imac, in place before it happens. I’d also think that they’d go with a 22-inch model as the lowest with the next larger size being 4 to 6 inches larger on the diagonal.

— Wider colour gamut would be nice, but I think that may be reserved for the higher-end iMac, especially if they lower the price of the smaller model. As for the chin, I think that will likely stay. My reasons to follow.

— I think Q2D may be a possibility, but I think C2D will be there in some way, at least for education. Intel has created some low-power desktop quads that are faster and cheaper than the notebook-grade chips Apple has been using in the iMacs. I think the next chips may offer low enough power usage to make that small enclosure possible for these desktop-grade CPUs. (I forget the TPM, but will look it up)

— I don’t know the prices of LED backlighting but I would imagine will hold off on the LED-backlighting as long as it’s price prohibitive and will include them when it isn’t. Hopefully both the iMacs and the next ACDs will get LED-backlighting.

— If the new desktop Macs get an SD-card slot -AND- the next MBA (or if they cancel it), which still doesn’t have the current MacBook display design or trackpad, then I think that new machines will be shipped with the OS on cheap, SD cards, which spells certain doom for the inclusion of optical drives in Mac notebooks.

— I’d like to see new enclosures, but unibody construction like the MacBook Pro/Air line incorporating milling of the case for structural reasons simply isn’t necessary.
  • Reply 163 of 209
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

— I’d like to see new enclosures, but unibody construction like the MacBook Pro/Air line incorporating milling of the case for structural reasons simply isn’t necessary.

Isn't the front face/shell for the iMac milled from a large plank too? I can't tell from the Kodawarisan teardown photos[1], but the aluminum shell seems to be pretty well made whenever I get a close look at them. It could be some form of aluminum die cast, though if that's the case, that makes me wonder why similar wasn't done with the notebooks.

[1] http://210.157.201.118/~kodawarisan/...07_mid_01.html
  • Reply 164 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Isn't the front face/shell for the iMac milled from a large plank too? I can't tell from the Kodawarisan teardown photos[1], but the aluminum shell seems to be pretty well made whenever I get a close look at them. It could be some form of aluminum die cast, though if that's the case, that makes me wonder why similar wasn't done with the notebooks.

It's possible but that wouldn't mean it predates the MBAs milling by some time and wouldn't Apple have made mention of it. The edge of the iMac's case sure looks like it could be milled, but we'll need an internal pic to really tell.

As for the notebooks, milling means that the case doesn't have to be strained in order to be made and stricter variances can be used in comparison. I don't know what the cost differences are but the unibody Mac notebooks are very durable.

PS: I just saw a 12" PB. Boy do I miss that small size machine with a 4:3 ratio display!
  • Reply 165 of 209
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Here's some thoughts...

— Would Apple kill off the 20-inch and go exclusively 24-inch across the line?

If you split the line into TN displays in the lower end models and IPS in the higher end models, an all 24-inch lineup may be possible.
  • Reply 166 of 209
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Any design change to the iMac needs to make at least the hard drive easily accessible. Like, on a pull-out tray or something.
  • Reply 167 of 209
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

? I don?t think the removal of the 20-incher has come yet, and when it does come I think we?ll have a larger, say 30-inch imac, in place before it happens. I?d also think that they?d go with a 22-inch model as the lowest with the next larger size being 4 to 6 inches larger on the diagonal.

? Wider colour gamut would be nice, but I think that may be reserved for the higher-end iMac, especially if they lower the price of the smaller model. As for the chin, I think that will likely stay. My reasons to follow.

? I think Q2D may be a possibility, but I think C2D will be there in some way, at least for education. Intel has created some low-power desktop quads that are faster and cheaper than the notebook-grade chips Apple has been using in the iMacs. I think the next chips may offer low enough power usage to make that small enclosure possible for these desktop-grade CPUs. (I forget the TPM, but will look it up)

? I don?t know the prices of LED backlighting but I would imagine will hold off on the LED-backlighting as long as it?s price prohibitive and will include them when it isn?t. Hopefully both the iMacs and the next ACDs will get LED-backlighting.

? If the new desktop Macs get an SD-card slot -AND- the next MBA (or if they cancel it), which still doesn?t have the current MacBook display design or trackpad, then I think that new machines will be shipped with the OS on cheap, SD cards, which spells certain doom for the inclusion of optical drives in Mac notebooks.

? I?d like to see new enclosures, but unibody construction like the MacBook Pro/Air line incorporating milling of the case for structural reasons simply isn?t necessary.

Not everyone will want t 24". They don't all have room for them.
  • Reply 168 of 209
    Quote:

I think it's a pressing.
  • Reply 169 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Any design change to the iMac needs to make at least the hard drive easily accessible. Like, on a pull-out tray or something.

I assume that people that usually buy iMacs are not very tech savvy or just don’t want to fiddle with HW upgrades. How often do normal consumers usually upgrade their HDDs anyway? On top of that, the design itself makes it difficult to simply make a latch that pops out the HDD for two reasons. One, Apple doesn’t like to design things with doors and latches. Even their notebooks are losing the battery and HDD access while people are still complaining about the iPod and iPhone not having removable batteries. Second, the HDD, probably the single heaviest internal component in the case, is placed right below the hinge of the stand in the center of the case.

That being said, having an easily accessible HDD would be very nice indeed for the off chance you need to change the HDD, but we can’t forget this is Apple and an AIO we’re talking about. Pull out trays are about as likely as Apple offering a choice between AMD and Intel CPUs.

If they were to do it I think having the bottom unscrew to access the RAM and HDD, with a lever to pull the HDD (showing only the 3.5” end) so it can pop in and out. I’d also like a 2nd drive in the device, or better yet, a proper competitive device to MS’ Home Server software and the 3rd-party HW makers that sell these nifty home servers. For MS, I find it’s a really good product, HP even offers a plugin that will partition a drive for Time Machine backups for Mac users.
  • Reply 170 of 209
    Quote:

I assume that people that usually by iMacs are not very tech savvy or just don?t want to fiddle with HW upgrades. How often do normal consumers usually upgrade their HDDs anyway? On top of that, the design itself makes it difficult to simply make a latch that pops out the HDD for two reasons. One, Apple doesn?t like to design things with doors and latches. Even their notebooks are losing the battery and HDD access while people are still complaining about the iPod and iPhone not having removable batteries. Second, the HDD, probably the single heaviest internal component in the case, is placed right below the hinge of the stand in the center of the case.

That being said, having an easily accessible HDD would be very nice indeed for the off chance you need to change the HDD, but we can?t forget this is Apple and an AIO we?re talking about. Pull out trays are about as likely as Apple offering a choice between AMD and Intel CPUs.

If they were to do it I think having the bottom unscrew to access the RAM and HDD, with a lever to pull the HDD (showing only the 3.5? end) so it can pop in and out. I?d also like a 2nd drive in the device, or better yet, a proper competitive device to MS? Home Server software and the 3rd-party HW makers that sell these nifty home servers. For MS, I find it?s a really good product, HP even offers a plugin that will partition a drive for Time Machine backups for Mac users.

What really needs to be done is to have a survey, not asking people if they would upgrade their machines if it were possible, but asking people if they ever DID upgrade their machines that were upgradable, and asking that if they did, what did they upgrade.

Not just Mac users, but PC users as well.

I'm sure the results would surprise all the techie types who are always insisting on upgradable machines (other than memory).
  • Reply 171 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What really needs to be done is to have a survey, not asking people if they would upgrade their machines if it were possible, but asking people if they ever DID upgrade their machines that were upgradable, and asking that if they did, what did they upgrade.

Not just Mac users, but PC users as well.

I'm sure the results would surprise all the techie types who are always insisting on upgradable machines (other than memory).

Pet peeve/rant:

I just helped a friend install a 2nd HDD into his old PC*. It?s pretty big tower and he bought from a shop that builds computers. He bought it to play graphic intensive games. He still plays the games but has not upgraded a damn thing in it for about 3 years. He no longer games much so he uses his work notebook for personal use (under a 2nd account) and this tower will be a data server for him. Getting a 2nd HDD into this rats nest of a system was not easy. There just simply isn?t enough room to do the simple task of sliding in a HDD without having to discount cables and removing PCIe cards. Would it really be hard to copy Apple?s side mounted HDD model? I could have replaced the HDD, battery and RAM in all of the new Mac notebooks in the time it took to get this HDD in.

* His next computer is a Mac or he has to find someone to help him with it for free.
  • Reply 172 of 209
    Quote:

Pet peeve/rant:

I just helped a friend install a 2nd HDD into his old PC*. It?s pretty big tower and he bought from a shop that builds computers. He bought it to play graphic intensive games. He still plays the games but has not upgraded a damn thing in it for about 3 years. He no longer games much so he uses his work notebook for personal use (under a 2nd account) and this tower will be a data server for him. Getting a 2nd HDD into this rats nest of a system was not easy. There just simply isn?t enough room to do the simple task of sliding in a HDD without having to discount cables and removing PCIe cards. Would it really be hard to copy Apple?s side mounted HDD model? I could have replaced the HDD, battery and RAM in all of the new Mac notebooks in the time it took to get this HDD in.

* His next computer is a Mac or he has to find someone to help him with it for free.

We used to do a lot of upgrading in the PC-DOS (yes, Alice, there was such a thing) days. But after Win 3.1, upgrading started a fade. After 95 and 98, it became rare.

There are so many computers sold, that even if a small percentage are being upgraded, that's enough business for the third party manufacturers, but it really is a small percentage.

If we look at the grouping of who is doing upgrades, we'll find that it's the gamers, then the techies. After those two groups, there are the pros.

Once those three segments are taken out, almost no one else upgrades. They just buy a new machine.
  • Reply 173 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If we look at the grouping of who is doing upgrades, we'll find that it's the gamers, then the techies. After those two groups, there are the pros.

Once those three segments are taken out, almost no one else upgrades. They just buy a new machine.

That seems likely and my anecdotal evidence coincides with your statement, but your going to have a hard time convincing a select group of users that you’re correct.
  • Reply 174 of 209
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I gotta say this: while Apple has built the batteries into their MacBook Pros, at least it's easy to get at most of the components now. Only 10 screws and you have the whole back off. Back in the older MacBook Pro/PowerBook G4 days, it used to be a nightmare to do something as simple as replace the hard drive.

Now as far as the iMac is concerned...Apple has reverted there. When they came out with the first iMac G5s, it was very easy to access the internal components, such as the hard drive. In later revisions (when they incorporated the iSight camera) made it a very complex procedure to get access to the inside to replace the drive. I have often wondered how much this costs them in servicing them when something goes wrong under warranty. Suction cups? Really?

The Mac mini: same deal. I think Apple is shooting itself in the foot doing this. Hopefully with the next revision, they will unveil an enclosure that will continue the trend they have started with the unibodies of allowing easy access to the internals.
  • Reply 175 of 209
    Quote:

That seems likely and my anecdotal evidence coincides with your statement, but you?re going to have a hard time convincing a select group of users that you?re correct.

I know.\
  • Reply 176 of 209
    Quote:

I gotta say this: while Apple has built the batteries into their MacBook Pros, at least it's easy to get at most of the components now. Only 10 screws and you have the whole back off. Back in the older MacBook Pro/PowerBook G4 days, it used to be a nightmare to do something as simple as replace the hard drive.

Now as far as the iMac is concerned...Apple has reverted there. When they came out with the first iMac G5s, it was very easy to access the internal components, such as the hard drive. In later revisions (when they incorporated the iSight camera) made it a very complex procedure to get access to the inside to replace the drive. I have often wondered how much this costs them in servicing them when something goes wrong under warranty. Suction cups? Really?

The Mac mini: same deal. I think Apple is shooting itself in the foot doing this. Hopefully with the next revision, they will unveil an enclosure that will continue the trend they have started with the unibodies of allowing easy access to the internals.

I can tell you from experience that manufacturers are most concerned with manufacturing ease=cost. Then comes serviceability.

But many things that seem difficult to do for the consumer aren't nearly that difficult for the manufacturer because they have the tools to do the job.

Having the right tools makes a world of difference.
  • Reply 177 of 209
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

? I don?t think the removal of the 20-incher has come yet, and when it does come I think we?ll have a larger, say 30-inch imac, in place before it happens. I?d also think that they?d go with a 22-inch model as the lowest with the next larger size being 4 to 6 inches larger on the diagonal.

There will be a 20" MacBook Pro long before we ever see a 30" iMac.
  • Reply 178 of 209
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

"just" 10 screws? That's still a lot of screws. I've had a couple MacBook Pros apart. It seems intimidating from the available instructions, not terrible like the iBooks, it's just more work than it should be in my opinion.

I have a couple notebooks where it only takes one screw to pull out the drive module, then four more that fasten the drive to the module, which are basically shock absorbing rails like in the MBP. Now that's far easier than just about any Mac portable. The previous MacBook wasn't bad though.
  • Reply 179 of 209
    Quote:

"just" 10 screws? That's not much better than MacBook Pro. I've had a couple MacBook Pros apart.

I have a couple notebooks where it only takes one screw to pull out the drive module, then four more that fasten the drive to the module. Now that's far easier than just about any Mac portable. The previous MacBook wasn't bad though.

I think his point is that overall, when all parts are considered, the new Mac notebooks with the solid bottom aren’t that complex. The non-unibody MBPs were pretty painful all around, while the poly-carb MBs were 3 screws for the RAM and HDD using nifty screws that stay in the metal piece after they are unscrewed making them impossible to lose, but after that the rest of the components weren’t that easy. Considering that it’s 10 screws plus one for the HDD that affords you a 7 hour battery and the ability for Apple to re-add FW as FW800 (as I predicted would happen, even though I have no use for FW) is more than a fair trade off for the rate inconvenience of getting to the HDD and the RAM two minutes faster than before.
  • Reply 180 of 209
    Quote:

I think his point is that overall, when all parts are considered, the new Mac notebooks with the solid bottom aren’t that complex. The non-unibody MBPs were pretty painful all around, while the poly-carb MBs were 3 screws for the RAM and HDD using nifty screws that stay in the metal piece after they are unscrewed making them impossible to lose, but after that the rest of the components weren’t that easy. Considering that it’s 10 screws plus one for the HDD that affords you a 7 hour battery and the ability for Apple to re-add FW as FW800 (as I predicted would happen, even though I have no use for FW) is more than a fair trade off for the rate inconvenience of getting to the HDD and the RAM two minutes faster than before.

I agree. People make too much of this. It takes more time to add a HDD to the average PC.

And with laptops, really, how often is this going to be done?