Apple won't honor tax free weekend

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was hoping to buy my Macbook online today and take advantage of the tax free weekend here in South Carolina, but I noticed it still wanted to charge me tax on the online Apple store, so I called Apple to find out what's going on. The Apple rep coldly told me, "Apple does NOT honor that in SC." when I asked why he said, "you'd have to contact the corporate office. this is just sales." I know, Apple reps are usually very polite and helpful, but this guy was neither. Any idea why they wouldn't honor the tax free weekend?? I know they honor it in GA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Perhaps because it's the online store. Did you try a local Apple Store in SC?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    there are no local Apple stores in SC - the nearest is in Charlotte. that's no really a problem because I travel to Charlotte regularly, but of course that doesn't get me the tax free deal
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Right. I'm trying to think back to our annual Tax Free Week's to remember if any online stores that charge tax participated. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think they were included. It stinks, yes. But depending on your tax rate, the deal's at the Apple Store today will negate the tax your paying.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    true, I'm actually able to get the student rate and SC sales tax is only 5%, but it still bothers me that they won't honor the tax free weekend. just doesn't make sense
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Well, I don't know if it'd be an individual companies choice. I think the tax law's might be different because they are an online store, based somewhere other then SC. But then again I'm not really up on tax code so who knows.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    yeah, it seems weird, though, that they charge tax in the first place since they don't have a store here.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I bought a couple of things online this weekend rather than wait in lines for several hours. I'd rather pay the 5% tax than go through that hassle.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I'm finishing up a masters in Charlotte via distance ed, but thanks for the idea
  • Reply 9 of 12
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apologeticus

The Apple rep coldly told me, "Apple does NOT honor that in SC." when I asked why he said, "you'd have to contact the corporate office. this is just sales."

They must have changed their policy then, when I bought my iMac from Charleston on the Apple online store in 2003, I got the tax free no problem...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    UPDATE:

I went ahead and ordered through the online store, and the invoice shows that they didn't charge tax. so the Apple rep I talked to was not only rude but also ill-informed. but this is one instance where I'm glad he was wrong. my new macbook will arrive next week!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apologeticus

UPDATE:

I went ahead and ordered through the online store, and the invoice shows that they didn't charge tax.

Hey, I just noticed that I wasn't charged tax either!

Quote:

Subtotal 58.00

Tax 0.00

Shipping Charges

TOTAL USD 58.00