Briefly: Report claims Apple readying new 17-inch display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I wouln't hold my breath for a competative "low end" monitor from Apple. I don't think that Apple will offer a monitor for less than $499 and with todays prices that isn't even a great price on a 20" consumer level wide screen, let alone a 17".
  • Reply 22 of 106
    I would love those price points. But 2 17" would be cheaper than 1 20". Those prices seem too low, very UnApple like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

I suppose a 17" monitor would be cool if it rocked 1440x900 or higher.

But I personally just want a second price drop on the current monitors, a drop on the 20" would push me to buy it.

I think they should price them like this (prices in canadian dollars):

17": 299 (1440x900)

20": 599 (1680x1050)

24": 899 (1920x1200)

30": 2099 (2560x1600)

If they did that the 17s would fly off the shelves with mini owners and maybe macbook and 17" imac owners getting them too. The 20" would be in an ideal price point for a lot of people. I'd cave on the 20" but then let myself get suckered into the 24" because the student price would make it 799.99(hopefully 699.99).

And of course these monitors would be more expensive then most other companies offerings, which is what apple loves.

• Reply 23 of 106
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    I want to get an Apple display (23-inch or higher) but I'm waiting for them to bump the dpi.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

its for the mini

I agree. It would be so nice if Apple could get the retail price for a Mini+Apple display <$1000. Please please please...!
  • Reply 25 of 106
    I always get so excited about what Apple might be doing, and disillusioned when the rumor doesn't pan out. To assuage my sorrow, I turn to the rumor sites again. And the new rumor is so exciting. The thrilling possibilities of the new; the let down when it doesn't come true. Funny pattern. Here we go again.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

I suppose a 17" monitor would be cool if it rocked 1440x900 or higher.

But I personally just want a second price drop on the current monitors, a drop on the 20" would push me to buy it.

I think they should price them like this (prices in canadian dollars):

17": 299 (1440x900)

20": 599 (1680x1050)

24": 899 (1920x1200)

30": 2099 (2560x1600)

If they did that the 17s would fly off the shelves with mini owners and maybe macbook and 17" imac owners getting them too. The 20" would be in an ideal price point for a lot of people. I'd cave on the 20" but then let myself get suckered into the 24" because the student price would make it 799.99(hopefully 699.99).

And of course these monitors would be more expensive then most other companies offerings, which is what apple loves.

Their prices on the 17 and 20 are still too high.

Apple needs the 17 at $249, or even less, and the 20 at $399.

No one expects a pro level display in a 17 any more. It has to be a home display. The standard size for displays is now 19", going on to 20", as the prices on those have dropped significantly this year. They can even drop the aluminum frame for a metallized plastic one, and have a less expensive base. It has to be a price leader.

The 20 isn't really suitable for pro use today either. That should also be less expensive. They could also do metallized plastic, but keep the base.

Metallized plastic looks very good, and is much less expensive.
  • Reply 27 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purpleshorts

I always get so excited about what Apple might be doing, and disillusioned when the rumor doesn't pan out. To assuage my sorrow, I turn to the rumor sites again. And the new rumor is so exciting. The thrilling possibilities of the new; the let down when it doesn't come true. Funny pattern. Here we go again.

Have you tried Cymbalta? linky-poo
  • Reply 28 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

Unless it's for a new MacBook Pro I don't see Apple doing this. You just can't have a good Mac experience on a monitor that small.

Excuse me? I'm using a G4 800 Mghz iMac with a 15" display. I get along fine with it, and I'm a Graphic Designer. Who says This is a monitor for the "Pro" Market? They could be releasing a lo-cost monitor to be bundled (or bought seperatley) with the Mac mini. Hey... They could probably shove a mac mini behind a 17" monitor, anyways. I could see Apple discontinuing the 17" iMac and introducing an all-in-one Mac mini.
  • Reply 29 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwinnipeg

Excuse me? I'm using a G4 800 Mghz iMac with a 15" display. I get along fine with it, and I'm a Graphic Designer. Who says This is a monitor for the "Pro" Market? They could be releasing a lo-cost monitor to be bundled (or bought seperatley) with the Mac mini. Hey... They could probably shove a mac mini behind a 17" monitor, anyways. I could see Apple discontinuing the 17" iMac and introducing an all-in-one Mac mini.

Might I recommend you move up to something in the 20"+ neighborhood? You'll get a lot more done that way.
  • Reply 30 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Might I recommend you move up to something in the 20"+ neighborhood? You'll get a lot more done that way.

I can't really justify purchasing a 20"+ monitor just to accompany my iMac. I've been eyeballing a MacPro for a while now, but where exactly will I come up with about $5000 CDN?
  • Reply 31 of 106
    Two theories...

1) the 17" display is for a new hi rez MBPro

(We should see higher rez displays made available once Leopard is shipping.)

2) the 17" display will be designed to go with the Mac mini

(I'm sure they've done their research. How many potential Mac mini buyers balk when they realize the cheapest screen is almost as much as the computer. Also displays take up very little room and if people are willing to pay for the Apple design/integration it could have a very nice profit margin.)
  • Reply 32 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Their prices on the 17 and 20 are still too high.

Apple needs the 17 at $249, or even less, and the 20 at $399.

Barely, if they want to keep their S-IPS panels. But Dell can, it seems. Now, if we were to see a real price drop in the EU region too. The last one didn't come near the drop US got.

I'm not expecting them to use great panels for the 17" display, since the 17" iMac use a 6-bit TN display, which is not exactly great.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

Barely, if they want to keep their S-IPS panels. But Dell can, it seems. Now, if we were to see a real price drop in the EU region too. The last one didn't come near the drop US got.

I'm not expecting them to use great panels for the 17" display, since the 17" iMac use a 6-bit TN display, which is not exactly great.

Most small panels, and many larger ones as well, are 6 bits. These panels, while having worse color, are faster, and thus better suited for games.
  • Reply 34 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch

I want to get an Apple display (23-inch or higher) but I'm waiting for them to bump the dpi.

To do that, I think the screens would just get smaller. From what I can tell, the resolution of the 30" is the highest or very near the highest that a dual link connection can offer without going below 60Hz refresh. Increasing the resolution of a 23"/24" would mean it becomes a dual-link monitor or go below 60Hz, limiting its useful market given that dual link isn't very common.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    Quote:

No one expects a pro level display in a 17 any more. It has to be a home display. The standard size for displays is now 19", going on to 20", as the prices on those have dropped significantly this year. They can even drop the aluminum frame for a metallized plastic one, and have a less expensive base. It has to be a price leader.

If you look at most of the 19" widescreen displays though from people like HP, they're actually 1440x900 - the same as Apple's 17" iMac panel. There's a glut of cheap 19" panels just now it seems so everyone is dumping out cheap £150/$300 19" widescreens. I'd happily pay more for a 17" with 1440x900 res but at 19" I'd want 1680x1050 or whatever the 20" iMac is.

I was looking a few weeks back for a cheap monitor for a server and it was as cheap to buy a 19" HP monitor as some of the 1024x768 17" monitors.

Quote:

The 20 isn't really suitable for pro use today either. That should also be less expensive.

I use a 17" iMac professionally so that's not really true. It depends on your profession obviously. Bigger would be nice but I find anything bigger than 20" too big.

Quote:

They could also do metallized plastic, but keep the base.

Metallized plastic looks very good, and is much less expensive.

Please no....

Good industrial design abhors making something look like something else like fake metal or fake wood panelling unless you're doing it as a joke. Keep your materials true to their nature. Apple is very clear about this in almost all their design. If it looks like aluminium, it IS aluminium. If it looks like plastic, it's extra shiny plastic that's obviously plastic.

Obviously they broke that with the Mac Mini but it'd be too expensive otherwise and everyone has to have a bad day, even Jonathon Ive.
  • Reply 36 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag

I agree, Apple is tired of Mac minis hooked up to Dell monitors.

Absolutely or even the MacBook. MM and MB users can't usually afford a 20" but want a natty display to sit next to their purchases and give them a reasonable screen space.

Hey even 17" and 20" iMac users might want to add a good value second display.
  • Reply 37 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

It is getting quite silly again. The dollar is so weak now it's almost 2 USD to 1 GBP. Yet it's £663 (equiv to $1284) for the 23" display here before tax and yet only $999 in the US.

On the plus side, my server bills are the lowest they've ever been as I use US web servers.
  • Reply 38 of 106
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Apple not selling a 17" so they could push iMac has been idiotic and stupid to say the least. Seems Apple is slowly pulling its head out of it ass, selling a 17" is a no brainer. Perhaps next we will see a consumer Tower instead of the all in one nonsense. Not having a low end monitor is brain dead, not having a consumer tower is brain dead, not getting the Tv into the Mac is brain dead, running off Mac gaming is brain dead. Holding onto PPC for so long was brain dead. Seems there is a light at the end of this tunnel. I would like to know who decided all this because I doubt it was Jobs.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Good industrial design abhors making something look like something else like fake metal or fake wood panelling unless you're doing it as a joke. Keep your materials true to their nature. Apple is very clear about this in almost all their design. If it looks like aluminium, it IS aluminium. If it looks like plastic, it's extra shiny plastic that's obviously plastic.

Obviously they broke that with the Mac Mini but it'd be too expensive otherwise and everyone has to have a bad day, even Jonathon Ive.

Mac mini has aluminized plastic? Certainly not the shell, that outer shell is extruded aluminum and it accounts for a third of its weight. I know because I had one apart and weighed it. Mac Book Pros and Power Books do use aluminized plastic for the keyboards. The titanium in the TiBooks was painted to a color that wasn't titanium.
  • Reply 40 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Mac mini has aluminized plastic? Certainly not the shell, that outer shell is extruded aluminum and it accounts for a third of its weight. I know because I had one apart and weighed it. Mac Book Pros and Power Books do use aluminized plastic for the keyboards. The titanium in the TiBooks was painted to a color that wasn't titanium.

Well I sit corrected. I'd always presumed they were plastic having not held one, only seen them briefly. My faith in their design skills is intact again.

The team that created the TiBook are no longer at Apple IIRC. They left to do the OQO.