Apple and Nike to sell Nike+Amp bracelet for iPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Probably not that much of a surprise, but the Nike+ kit operates at the same frequency as bluetooth according to Apple's site. Couldn't someone just take the Nike+ items and see if their bluetooth equipped computer locates and tries to pair with them?

Regardless of whether the article got the connection technology wrong, it's Apple's product so there shouldn't be a problem adding a wristband to the set. It seems to fit Apple's whole iPod approach to add functionality externally.

Does anyone else but me think that the wi-fi capable iPod might come as an accessory and not as a built in feature? An iPod wi-fi adapter that when attached opens up the iPod to wireless iTunes Store downloads and syncing? Much like the radio remote, voice recording and the Nike+ kit, if you want it, you can buy it separate (of course, maybe that's just wishful thinking that my 4 month old 5G will remain relevant.)
  • Reply 22 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

It uses a proprietary 802.11-based method.

Ignoring for a second that "proprietary 802.11" is an oxymoron, how do we know this?
  • Reply 23 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Oops, O.K. I see now. It says "proprietary" on the Nike+ "run" page on Apple's website.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Hope it controls iTV too.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Hmmmm seems suspect. If you're going to shell out $80 bucks, why not just get a shuffle in addition to your regular iPod. I guess you get the running info, but still.........
  • Reply 26 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

this doesn't look right to me. especially with the shuffle G1 bubble where the play/pause button is, that was dropped with the G2, I don't see it coming back (and i miss it, it had a nice 'feel' to it). it also doesn't seem designed very nike or apple. and what bluetooth dongle do you have to attach to your ipod that already has a nike+ dongle on it? Or do you toss out your old nike+ and just use the shoe part? I cry bogus!!

The Nike+ setup transmits from the accelerometer to the device attached to your iPod Nano via the proprietary, short-range microwave device that functions very much like Bluetooth. I'm guessing it's not the Bluetooth standard, but darn close.

This Nike Amp+ is an addiotnal $80 device you add to your already $30 Nike + and $200 iPod Nano and $150 shoies. Going for a jog is getting expensive!
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

The Nike+ setup transmits from the accelerometer to the device attached to your iPod Nano via the proprietary, short-range microwave device that functions very much like Bluetooth. I'm guessing it's not the Bluetooth standard, but darn close.

This Nike Amp+ is an addiotnal $80 device you add to your already $30 Nike + and $200 iPod Nano and $150 shoies. Going for a jog is getting expensive!

The Nike+iPod works fine without the Nike+ shoes. I use my kit with Asics Gel Nimbus shoes, and it's pretty accurate. I have the sensor mounted between the tongue and laces of my left shoe, but you can also use a shoe wallet (Nike makes them too) without problems.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce

Apple should team up with other sports companies too. I'm a swimmer, not a runner - I want an iPod in my Speedos

Is that an iPod in your Speedos, or are you just... oh, never mind.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

Who coined the term Nike Amp?... Amp? Is it amplifying something? I don't think so.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

Yeah and special Spidey-webbing ejects out of hidden nozzles too!!

Squirting. Word. 8) [see Zune, squirt, etc.]
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

This is nothing but good news. More incremental sales for both Apple and Nike. Quick analysts, to the analyscanner!

Tee heee heeee you said anal... Heh.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce

Apple should team up with other sports companies too. I'm a swimmer, not a runner - I want an iPod in my Speedos

Too easy... "Is that a Nike dongle in your Speedos or are you just happy to see me?" 8) ... Yeah anyway I do [swim+run] sometimes (as recommended several years back to me buy a leading Australian triathelete....) -- no music player involved in general....
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorM

A glove wouldn't be that too bad actually. I doubt that a glove will appear but nevertheless I see it as a good idea. As a year round runner, a lot of us (guys and girls) wear gloves during winter sessions. Its amazing how cold your hand can get.

Hell yeah. Mornings or evenings in Melbourne, Aust.... I need gloves when running. 9 months of the year. Still not used to the cold down here, after living in KL/ Singapore/ San Fran/ Sydney/ Brisbane (in no particular order).
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Is that an iPod in your Speedos, or are you just... oh, never mind.

Damn, you beat me to it...... \
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Who coined the term Nike Amp?... Amp? Is it amplifying something? I don't think so.

It amplifies your running experience and workout. 8)
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons

The Nike+iPod works fine without the Nike+ shoes. I use my kit with Asics Gel Nimbus shoes, and it's pretty accurate. I have the sensor mounted between the tongue and laces of my left shoe, but you can also use a shoe wallet (Nike makes them too) without problems.

Ok. I've totally post-whored myself so apologies and this is the last post in the row for me. I have been looking very closely at Nike+iPod. A few points still that would be needed for me to get this as a Christmas pressie:

1. I use New Balance a lot. Because my feet are wide. In the past, Nike shoes have *always* been too tight width-wise, and they don't last as long as NewBalances.

2. Please post pictures if possible of how you are using the kit in a non Nike+ shoe.

3. The watch is cool because your nano does not need to be visual, you just need music and at any stage you click on something and it gives you aural feedback about how far you've run or your pacing (AFAI remember the Nike Store demo and talking to the live demo peoples there).

4. The clincher would have to be Bluetooth headphones. iPods or mp3 players or mobilePhoneswithMusic all suffer from cabledangletwisteritis. A nice non-earbud but firm enough for running (maybe swimming!!!!!) headset Bluetooth would be hella cool for all your iPod experience, your Nike+iPod experience, and chilling in front or around your Mac.

A lot of options with Nike+iPod and for the money spent in marketing, R+D, etc. I think it has been a fruitful collaboration on the whole. There's a lot of scope for growth, maybe in 10 years you can have it clipped to your optic nerve so that you get a "heads up display" fighter-jet style readout in front of you as you are running. Including traffic warnings if you run around urbanised areas (as most of us inevitably do...) . Heh. And a full waterproof thing for swimming and lap timing and pacing.

Yeah, I think some sort of implant is needed that interfaces with your body and your thoughts and gives you feedback directly through your central nervous system/ optic nerve/ eardrums/ etc. ...The i[m]Plant. Also allows you to share thoughts with other i[m]Plant users nearby. Flirting just took on a whole new level. Steve Ballmer: "Now you can squirt everyone else using thought alone". Of course like chat buddy-blocking hopefully the Apple i[m]Plant will block Steve Ballmer's thoughts on by factory default. Also on by factory default is wireless connectivity to the Internet and hence "official" Apple thoughts and Steve Job thoughts.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:

It sounds intense.

it doesn't have to make sense to be masculine and intense.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Tee heee heeee you said anal... Heh.

• Reply 39 of 47
    I love the Nike+iPod. I also use New Balance. I found the "tuck under the laces trick" not secure. I lost my sensor twice and had to retrace my steps to find it. The velcro ones are not secure enough. I bought the Shoe Pouch, which is very secure, and totally accurate. You can find it at http://www.shoepouch.com or on Podophile's page about hacking your shoe for the sensor. Since the Shoe Pouch is so inexpensive, I just used that product rather than trying to fashion one for myself or take my chances with the under the laces fiasco. As for the Amp+, i agree it seems a little out there and seems inconsistent with reality. Anyway, best of luck and enjoy!
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meltoots

I love the Nike+iPod. I also use New Balance. I found the "tuck under the laces trick" not secure. I lost my sensor twice and had to retrace my steps to find it. The velcro ones are not secure enough. I bought the Shoe Pouch, which is very secure, and totally accurate. You can find it at http://www.shoepouch.com or on Podophile's page about hacking your shoe for the sensor. Since the Shoe Pouch is so inexpensive, I just used that product rather than trying to fashion one for myself or take my chances with the under the laces fiasco. As for the Amp+, i agree it seems a little out there and seems inconsistent with reality. Anyway, best of luck and enjoy!

Thanks dude... New Balance rocks. Heh. Can't believe it. It's 2006 and we've got "smart shoes" and now we got "hack the shoes".