Advice wanted for 24" iMac purchase

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi!

I am currently saving money for an 24" iMac for home.

I haven´t found a good review of this iMac with a possible comparision to the 20" version (x1600 card).

The configuration I am aiming for is with 2GB of memory and a 7600 GFX card.

I´d like to buy it somewhere in February (still saving the cash).

Are there people with good and bad experiences? How´s speed?

Should I save a bit more cash for the Mac Pro or will this computer be sufficient

for 3D / video use for the upcoming years?

I know these are often personal opinions and subtle questions, but I´m curious!

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I've got the same model you're looking at and have zero complaints on it. The speed is great. I think you'll be fine. That said, I also think you should wait to do your research closer to when you want to purchase because you'll never no what options will be added by then. I don't foresee any processor bumps but graphic cards are always a possibility.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    thanks! How's the GFX card speed compared to the x1600 one in the 20" inch iMac?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

Hi!

I am currently saving money for an 24" iMac for home.

I haven´t found a good review of this iMac with a possible comparision to the 20" version (x1600 card).

The configuration I am aiming for is with 2GB of memory and a 7600 GFX card.

I´d like to buy it somewhere in February (still saving the cash).

Are there people with good and bad experiences? How´s speed?

Should I save a bit more cash for the Mac Pro or will this computer be sufficient

for 3D / video use for the upcoming years?

I know these are often personal opinions and subtle questions, but I´m curious!

thanks.

My boss just got a new 24" iMac. He feels it is too big for him (too close to the screen if you ask me), but has no problems with it at all. I doubt he has anyhting but the basic config. It is blazingly fast compared to most other non-Pro models we have hanging around here.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

thanks! How's the GFX card speed compared to the x1600 one in the 20" inch iMac?

I have a 2.16 C2D, 2GB, and the 7600 GT.

In WoW I get an average of 80fps outside and 160fps inside on 1900x1200 Res with everything on the highest settings but antiscropting(sp?) filter is set on 1 b/c I see no difference when it's maxed and full screen glow set to off because it seems to drop frame rate drastically without providing anything that pleasing. Haven't had a chance to test an other games but it runs great, very fast, I couldn't have made a better purchase. Not sure of a direct comparison between the x1600 but just thought I'd let you know some performance, but here's a website that's got a good comparison.

http://www.barefeats.com/imcd4.html

edit: guess I should say what game it is.