Riding Kicking horse B.C. Opening day... stunning!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Kicking Horse in Golden opened this past weekend. The snow was amazing, it made for some amazing photos I thought I'd share. Included is a luge track we built at my Cabin there.

linky pie

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I do believe the only appropriate response is...

Oh you lucky *bastard*...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

I do believe the only appropriate response is...

Oh you lucky *bastard*...

I'll take that, sure

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 11

I grew up down South in WA's Cascades, spent a decade in NC, and am now just north of NYC. ie, I haven't seen real mountains and/or snow in years. My skis eventually were a write-off when the humidity in NC rusted the edges beyond repair.

I am sooooooo jealous.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Oh dude you are pretty close to some good old fashioned eastern skiing.

I'm going to Killington in late February and probably Stowe or Sugarbush over Christmas.

(and yeah those pics BEAT THE PANTS off of Killington on its best snow day...)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I should add here that for all you skiers/riders we have made a widget that will keep your favorite hills snow conditions web cams etc, front of mind:

Enjoy.

flick.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Oh dude you are pretty close to some good old fashioned eastern skiing.

I'm going to Killington in late February and probably Stowe or Sugarbush over Christmas.

(and yeah those pics BEAT THE PANTS off of Killington on its best snow day...)

It was an incredible day I only got two runs in, the mountain is huge though and the line at the bottom was always north of an hour.. but we needed the rest so it was welcome.

How is the snow out east? heavy and wet? dry and soft?

flick.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    It's definitely heavier than what you might be accustomed to.

..and there's generally less of it. Killington, VT gets over 300 inches a year, but that usually works out to skiing on packed power on most good days. I was a ski instructor senior year of high school 5 or 6 years ago and an old joke was that the snow at our home mountain "wasn't icy enough" to ski on. That's Pennsylvania skiing for you in a nutshell.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Thats funny.

I guess we are some what spoiled out here.. its not very often the hill is icy.

flick.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Head south, go hit Snoqualmie Pass in WA. Slush City. If you can ski there, you can ski anywhere.

The first time I hit serious powder was in SLC, UT, and I do mean *hit*. Barreling down a bowl, hit the powder field at the bottom, and my legs disappeared to my knees... and *zwoop* head over ass I went.

But ice? Slush? No problem.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    What is this "snow" stuff of which you speak?

The hills I go up and down on are made of sand.

Nick
  • Reply 11 of 11

Hills are usually made with sand..In case,if there is snow fall.it might be covered with snow..

travel by horseback