Clunking Noise on PowerBook G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a clunking noise about every 30 sec. that I can turn off if I mute or turn down sound.

It does continue when listening to a class or watching a video.

I have read that when a hard drive is going out it makes a clunking sound but after reading these threads I don't think this is the problem. Please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adog2run

I have a clunking noise about every 30 sec. that I can turn off if I mute or turn down sound.

It does continue when listening to a class or watching a video.

I have read that when a hard drive is going out it makes a clunking sound but after reading these threads I don't think this is the problem. Please help.

Considering you can adjust the noise by muting or lowering the volume, this doesn't seem to likely to be a hard drive issue. It sounds more like an interferrance problem with your speakers.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I timed it and it happens every one minute so I went to date and time and could not find anything that related to this? The more I listen it actually sounds like an acoustic string being plucked that sounds muffled.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adog2run View Post

I timed it and it happens every one minute so I went to date and time and could not find anything that related to this? The more I listen it actually sounds like an acoustic string being plucked that sounds muffled.

Do you use Entourage? If so, have you tried unchecking the "no mail sound" under your preferences?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    What apps are you using when the cluncking noise happens?