considering Tivo NEED HELP!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Ok so I have DirecTV and love the provider and now want to update my receiver to a DVR / Tivo.

I do not have a home land line phone. What are my options being that I do not want to get a home land line phone?

My wife and I both use cell phones and cable modem for internet access. With the taxes and all we really do not want / nor need a land line phone.

How do I go about getting / setting up without a land line phone here at home a new DVR / Tivo system?

I have tried to do some reading on different websites and all it has done is keep me a little confused.

I am hoping that some of you all here know how to deal with my problem and could inform me as to how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    The land line is only necessary for ordering pay-per-views or other types of programming. When you call them up, tell them that you don't have a land line and they will set the boxes to not attempt to validate via phone line.

When you do want a pay-per-view or special event, you have to order it via the internet or via cell phone with a surcharge for handling the call.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 3
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman

The land line is only necessary for ordering pay-per-views or other types of programming. When you call them up, tell them that you don't have a land line and they will set the boxes to not attempt to validate via phone line.

When you do want a pay-per-view or special event, you have to order it via the internet or via cell phone with a surcharge for handling the call.

Nick

UPDATE:

I called today and the girl at DirecTV was clueless:

She was maybe 18 in what sounded like a very hectic call center and informed that that I HAVE to have a phone line.

So now I am a little frustrated as I assumed this would be a little wee bit simpler than it seems to be unfolding at this point.

I plan to go to some retailers and ask around about this subject but I do not look forward to this task.

IS THERE ANYONE who can help me with this subject.

Many thanks in advance

Fellows
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You only have to have a phone line because they need a number to track your account. They use the phone number as your account number. Just give them your cell phone but don't tell them it's a cell. I have satellite with no land line in my house whatsoever.