Does anyone use Thunderbird??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone use Thunderbird as their email app instead of mail tht comes with OS X?

How is it?

Are there any known problems with it in OS X?

I'm debating on whether to try it out..Ive been using mail for so long...

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac

Thanks

I'm constantly searching for thee client e-mail application that does it for me . On the PC side of the house, I had "IncrediMail," since switching to Apple a bit over a year ago, I continue to search and keep fingers crossed for an Apple compatible e-mail program "like" IncrediMail. In the mean time, believe it or not, the best I've come up with (so far) is Apple's supplied Mail. Though in my opinion, Thunderbird comes in an extemely close second (to Apple's Mail) .

Give Thunderbird a try, since it's "free," what do you have to lose, except a bit of time you'd probably spend on a video game or maybe a movie you've already seen ?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac

Does anyone use Thunderbird as their email app instead of mail tht comes with OS X?

How is it?

Are there any known problems with it in OS X?

Thanks

Thunderbird is excellent and has more features than mail, but I still use mail because it has slightly better integration with the OS and it is simpler.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    thunderbird is nice, but mail is better i think, and in leopard it will be tightly knitted with iCal so thats a plus
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I use Thunderbird. I used Apple's Mail at first but certain emails I got from job search sites would get formatted correctly (the links wouldn't work). I was out of work at the time so that became frustrating. So I switched to Thunderbird.

I'm still using it. Only thing though, I remember it was a bitch to import my Mail address book and emails to it. But the new version may have solved that. It's free, download it and try it out. See if they fixed that bug and if not just delete it. One of the great things about Macs is that isn't much of a hassle to uninstall than on "you know who"...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    sidsid Posts: 12member
    I've used Thunderbird and I like it fine. I use Mail for my personal mail because I have a .Mac account. It does what I need it to do and it's easy to keep everything on my two machines synced. For my work mail, I have been using GyazMail and have really enjoyed it. Here is the link for that if you want to check that out:

http://www.gyazsquare.com/gyazmail/
  • Reply 6 of 15
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Yes. I had a problem with mail that is now fixed - but still using Tbird. it is slower than mail but you can compose real html mail for a customer newsletter that mail cant do.

eventually i might just use gmail for all my accounts though - there is some new feature coming out to allow that soon.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Personally I don't really like Thunderbird. I found the Interface to be horrendous, and it started becoming ridiculously slow with my Inbox having about ~7000 Messages in it at the time and it was a pain to organize everything. This was on a PC however, I haven't had the guts to try it on my Mac after that.

I'm holding out for Kiwi and just use Mail in the meantime.

Sebastian
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I use both Thunderbird and Firefox on my MBP they work perfectly.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I just downloaded Thunderbird to try it but instead of fulling installing it, it just mounts it on the desktop, which you have to double-click to launch it. When you restart, it's gone and I have to run the DMG file again. Am I doing something wrong with the install? I'm a newbie to Mac.

Thanks,

Ric
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ric232 View Post

I just downloaded Thunderbird to try it but instead of fulling installing it, it just mounts it on the desktop, which you have to double-click to launch it. When you restart, it's gone and I have to run the DMG file again. Am I doing something wrong with the install? I'm a newbie to Mac.

Thanks,

Ric

Ric, before clicking on the DMG file, open the Finder and then Applications, double click the DMG file, after it does its thing, grab Thunderbird and drag it to the folder of your choice (usually the Application folder) to properly install it on your system. Then you can delete the DMG file and Eject the temporary Thunderbird disk.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSin View Post

Ric, before clicking on the DMG file, open the Finder and then Applications, double click the DMG file, after it does its thing, grab Thunderbird and drag it to the folder of your choice (usually the Application folder) to properly install it on your system. Then you can delete the DMG file and Eject the temporary Thunderbird disk.

Are you saying I should drag the temporary Thunderbird disk into a folder (i.e. the Applications folder)?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Are you saying I should drag the temporary Thunderbird disk into a folder (i.e. the Applications folder)?

No, not the disk, open the disk and drag the Thunderbird application icon from the temporary disk to your Application folder.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Thanks,

Ric

I made the same mistake with Messenger for Mac and Camino with my first couple of days on the Mac too

There are usually 2 Install Methods

1) Mount the DMG, Drag it into the Applications Folder, Eject the DMG, and drop that into the Trash

or

2) open a .pkg and it will walk you through installation.

Thunderbird uses Option 1 it seems, so just do that and you'll be fine. Not sure where Applications is? Well if you mount the DMG in the Finder, you can find it in the Sidebar.

Sebastian
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Personally I don't really like Thunderbird. I found the Interface to be horrendous, and it started becoming ridiculously slow with my Inbox having about ~7000 Messages in it at the time and it was a pain to organize everything. This was on a PC however, I haven't had the guts to try it on my Mac after that.

I'm holding out for Kiwi and just use Mail in the meantime.

Sebastian

Holy crap I know the guy that is developing Kiwi, he goes to the same univesity as me...what a small world
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

Holy crap I know the guy that is developing Kiwi, he goes to the same univesity as me...what a small world

Holy crap I wasn't expecting to pop in and read something like this

But yes, what a small world

I've been following Kiwi development before I even had a Mac to well... hope to use it on. It's one of the reasons I am pissed Google is refusing to put IMAP in and one of the reasons I'm learning Objective-C. I want POP3 to die as much as I don't want to have to change everything over to an IMAP server and new e-mail address, though I will if Google doesn't implement IMAP into Gmail sometime this year. I always wanted to run my own IMAP server truth be told...

Sebastian