How Can I Edit a Purchased DVD Movie?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a movie, that I would like to "cut out" a scene. What software could I use to easily mark the beginning and the end of the scene and just delete out that section?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    This is tricky because you will likely lose all your chapters and things.

First you need to rip your DVD because all commercial DVDs are encrypted. I use MactheRipper or YadeX to do this.

If you rip as a .vob, you should be able to open this in a program called MPEG Streamclip but I think you may need the Apple MPEG2 component to read DVD files.

Then you'd set in and out points for the bit you want to cut and just cut it out and save as a new VOB.

This likely won't fit on a single sided DVD so you'll need to requntize it using either ffmpegX or DVD2one (neither are free for that feature). DVD2one expects a video_ts so you will need to author the vob to video_ts.

Then compress it down and burn to DVD again.

Like I say, using Vob will likely lose all the chapter settings and definitely the menus.

The main trouble is that DVD is a delivery format and not intended to be edited.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    theres an even easier way to do it than that. theres a program called Handbrake that lets you rip a dvd file right into an mpeg-4 video. it gives you some nice options and is fairly easy to figure out. when it finishes up, you can use quicktime pro or just about any video editor to edit the clip directly. then you can either play it off your computer or burn it to a disc. like previously stated, you may have a problem if you don't wanna shell out the money for expensive double-sided discs. you can either compress it with a variety of methods, or in Toast 7, theres a fit-to-dvd compression option, if you're not worried about nice menus and such. its very easy to use and i highly recommend it. hope this helps
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick

I have a movie, that I would like to "cut out" a scene. What software could I use to easily mark the beginning and the end of the scene and just delete out that section?

Are you a teacher?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    i thought "teacher" too....

i used to be an ESL teacher and i wanted to show Animal House, but i couldn't because of the nudity when bluto looks through the sorority window.... instead i showed Ferris Bueller's Day Off... the students loved it.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Why couldn't you just set a playlist and use AppleScript or some such to drive DVD Player, VLC, or another app? ie, tell it "Play from 00:00 to 37:41, then from 39:12 to the end"
  • Reply 6 of 26
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Are you a teacher?

No, I just have a movie, Talledega Nights, that I think is great, except the part poking fun of prayer. That part doesn't impress me.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

No, I just have a movie, Talledega Nights, that I think is great, except the part poking fun of prayer. That part doesn't impress me.

So close your eyes and mute the tv.

But honestly, how often are you going to be watching this movie that it matters?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

So close your eyes and mute the tv.

But honestly, how often are you going to be watching this movie that it matters?

Hopefully, a lot! I watch Dodgeball all the time. There's always time for great humor.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    you can always try solving the problem with prayer... pray that the part mocking praying goes away.... have faith and maybe next time you watch it, it won't be there
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

There's always time for great humor.

So why do you watch Dodgeball and any movie involving Will 'unfunny' Ferrell?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Keep replies respectful and to the original question please. If you can't assist in editing the DVD as requested, do not reply.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Keep replies respectful and to the original question please. If you can't assist in editing the DVD as requested, do not reply.

The OP hasn't said if he tried the suggestions already made.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    it's so sad that political correction has gone so far that people cannot even make benign jokes anymore....

i'm appalled that it even got deleted.

as long as we are going to edit out that post we might as well follow the forum rules too. you can't edit the dvd legally in the US.... besides Kickaha's post, any suggestion suggesting editing the disc breaks the rules regarding suggestion of illegal activity and the DMCA
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Woot! I win!

What's my prize?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Woot! I win!

What's my prize?

You get to write the Applescript.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Grrrr.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    there is nothing you can do to edit the disk since doing so would violate the DMCA. No one can post anything to help you with illegal activity without breaking forum rules
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by intlplby

there is nothing you can do to edit the disk since doing so would violate the DMCA. No one can post anything to help you with illegal activity without breaking forum rules

This is patently untrue. Applications like MacTheRipper would be patently illegal in the U.S. if this were the case, because that's all it's designed to do. This type of program is illegal in Germany, AFAIK.

As long as he is doing this only with his own private viewing in mind, he can do pretty much whatever he wants. At least for now, or until the MPAA/RIAA start up their circus.

Please have at least a cursory look at the law before spouting nonsense.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

Applications like MacTheRipper would be patently illegal in the U.S.

It is if the disc in question has copy protection enabled.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    even for private viewing you can't...

this disc mentioned (Talladega Nights) has copy protection, in order to edit the disc he has to bypass the copy protection and make an edited copy. that is illegal in the US.

it's not nonsense.