Dumb as bricks question about clustering (or something?)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have this question that I don't even know how to properly ask. Lets say I have a nice fast Mac Pro and next to it I have this really fast generic box with a Kentsfield in it. Is there any way I can hook these two guys up to share the processing load or would the Kentsfield box need to be running OS X as well? Could something be done about this by installing Darwin on the generic box? Am I completely misunderstanding or am I sort of on the right track?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You could use Xgrid.

What in particular do you want to do?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Lots and lots of intricate video and audio editing and recording. I'll start looking into Xgrid, thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Find out anything good about XGrid. I have a bunch of Macs at home just sitting there.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have 3 computers I'd love to "tie together" with Xgrid, but it's probably beyond my technical understanding... I'll just have to buy an iMac after MWSF. \
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

You could use Xgrid.

What in particular do you want to do?

That only works on OS X boxes and the app already has to be Xgrid enabled. The Kentsfield box probably gets in the way before the app even comes into play.

Pippin, your questions are on the right track, unfortunately I think the answers will be in the "this would rock!" but doesn't yet exist category for video/audio editing.