Time Machine just saved my ass

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, not exactly. But after watching the introduction at WWDC and seeing the low number of people who actually back up, I went and downloaded Backup from my .Mac account. Figured I had been lazy, and should go ahead and backup in the meantime.

So now for the second time Mail has crashed and left my Address book empty. Bizarre I know, but go look at all the threads at Apple. Point being, restoring was as easy as could be. And I have felt one of the greatest feelings in geekdom.

So start backing up people!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    I just lost my entire hard drive on my powerbook, lucky I had an aperture vault and my documents on an external harddrive with contacts on my cell phone.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'll use Time Machine.

I imagine it'll be appropriate for my modest backup needs. And there's hope that in the future Time Machine improves even more with the use of ZFS filesystem as a backing.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I'll use Time Machine.

I imagine it'll be appropriate for my modest backup needs. And there's hope that in the future Time Machine improves even more with the use of ZFS filesystem as a backing.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I just installed software that came with my new Canon camera and they have their own Time machine sort of thing for digital photos. I haven't used it much, but is looks spiffy.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

I just installed software that came with my new Canon camera and they have their own Time machine sort of thing for digital photos. I haven't used it much, but is looks spiffy.

Which Canon camera did you purchase?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Gotta watch those double posts... something seems to have "broken" in the posting mechanism. Everytime I try to post I get an error message...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I got a Canon Powershot SD800.

SpamSandwich: Yea, something is fudgered with the posting. But your reply does work even thought it gives you an error.

Oh yea, and Admins, my post-box is bigger than everyone else's. But I'm used to that, just ask my G/F.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Can time machine work with a usb hard drive?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I don't see why not.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I'll use Time Machine...on my next Mac. I think it'll kill my G4 933.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I'll certainly use Time Machine, but for now it's SuperDuper for me.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

I don't see why not.

Groovy.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Backup works well enough. I back up settings and such to my iDisk, and pretty much everything to my LaCie HDD.

When I went to take my Macbook in, I should point out that .Mac Sync saved me in Mail as well. I didn't have to do a thing, when I fired up Mail with my new HDD in, it was as if I had never left Mail.

Future Backup Plan in Leopard though:
    • Time Machine backups to my External HDD before every shut down unless I'm outdoors, using my Mac somewhere else. I don't care to carry too much around.

• Backup Backups to DVDs every Week

• iDisk Backups every day

A Solid strategy yes?

Glad to know that "Time Machine" could save you and your contacts though

Wouldn't a Address Book sync have fixed this though? Or was it blank in .Mac as well?

Sebastian
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Glad to know that "Time Machine" could save you and your contacts though

Wouldn't a Address Book sync have fixed this though? Or was it blank in .Mac as well?

Sebastian

Actually the first time it happened I did use iSync to fix it. Thing was I had just done a ton of changes, and wasn't sure they had all synced. But did know that a full back up had been done of my address book. The Backup solution is better, because the corruption could move up the sync chain pretty quickly.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Actually the first time it happened I did use iSync to fix it. Thing was I had just done a ton of changes, and wasn't sure they had all synced. But did know that a full back up had been done of my address book. The Backup solution is better, because the corruption could move up the sync chain pretty quickly.

Ah, well glad you didn't lose all your contacts anyways, and whatever works best. Besides that, Address Book in .Mac leaves much to be desired.

Sebastian