Suggestions for a webcam now that iSights are extinct

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all,

I was very sad to hear that iSights are being phased out and that they won't be updated because all the new Mac laptops already include them and the new cinema displays are supposed to as well. My sister lives all the way across the country in California and I was thinking of buying iSight's for each of us this Christmas so we could stay in touch a little easier. Does anyone have any recommendations now that iSight's aren't an option? By the way we both have PowerBook G4's so a portable webcam would be a plus.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    You can still buy the iSight if that's what you want.

That is what I'd recommend because I haven't found anything that surpasses it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Is anyone using a network camera that has pan tilt and zoom on it? I would like to monitor my front door.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Is anyone using a network camera that has pan tilt and zoom on it? I would like to monitor my front door.

I have only second-hand knowledge of it, but Logitech makes a pretty cool tracking webcam.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You can still buy the iSight if that's what you want.

That is what I'd recommend because I haven't found anything that surpasses it.

Where can I still buy an iSight??? I've been checking around and no one seems to have them anymore!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My bad. I saw quite a few sources when googling it this morning. Checking into it further, I discovered that all those links are dead or are to sites are sold out.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ah, okay... I guess I'll have to go with the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 it seems to be the only other halfway decent option.