2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    ... possibly with an IPod doc.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Unless you're talking about the Cisco product, can you please stop using 'iPhone' for the Apple mobile phone?

yeah im tired of them using that name since cisco took it already and i am just doubting that we'll ever see an apple phone. Its been rumored for years, and never turned up, i dont see it at happening at macworld or any time in the near future. Maybe by the summer, but i would like to see it at macworld.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

What about:

1- iWork '07, now free on all Mac pros! Introducing "Options", an easy to use tool that has been thoroughly tested (26,500 person-hours) by forensic accountants.

What? Give away iWork for free? That ain't going to happen. And even if it did, no one would care. Why? Because Pros have less need for iWork then the consumers out there. Most of them already have page-layout and Office apps. What they should do is put it on the Consumer lines, so they could actually have something useful on the computer when they open it up, besides toys like iMovie and iTunes.

Quote:

2- iLife '07: introducing Cover Flow into iPhoto (this is gonna make me really happy ) and simplifying iWeb to a state of the art Homepage builder.

Well, I guess if Apple can improve CoverFlow so it can read from some cache or memory. Everytime i use it in iTunes, it always seems slow to load artwork that hasn't been loaded yet.

Quote:

3- a rebranded .mac with a free entry level membership (250MB), making it easier to share your iLife goodies with a community of like minded buddies.

Not going to happen. Apple's not looking to compete with Google or Yahoo or MySpace or any of those other free services for this and that. Because they know people will just take the accounts to use as off-site storage, not as an iLife sharing site. Plus, if you've got a community of 'like minded buddies' (whatever the hell that means), then you're all already mac users. What's the point of giving away free stuff to mac users. Its not like they're switching to windows if they don't have it. (For Apple, High cost, no gain).

Quote:

4- a new 20", 24" and 30" Cinema Display with built in speakers!

Won't happen. Why? Because it makes too much sense (although a better idea would be optional attachable speakers, which would meld into the plastics). But again, its something users might want, and Apple can't figure out users might want to change the height of the screen, rotate it, hook up more than one computer or video source to it, etc. Hell, we're talking about a company that still has issues giving users easy-to-access USB/firewire ports on the fronts of their computers because it screws up the look of the thing. Forget functionality, its all about style!

Quote:

5- a rebranded iTv (as announced)

Yawn! Are people still talking about this thing. It seems so 2006.

Quote:

6- one more thing: not a phone

Agree! I just would love to see the deflation over Apple not releasing something everyone is soooo expecting!

Quote:

Biggest dissapointment (relief?): no phone

Biggest rumour (the day after): phone due in 2 months, ships have been spotted in China!

No, biggest rumor: Apple was to ship phone, but was pulled at last minute because it ran so hot it would burn user's ears off (I know, I know, stupid rumor, since when did Apple ever stop shipment on a product because it was defective....)
  • Reply 24 of 39
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No no! Never built-in speakers.

Haha! No need to panic! As a sub 100 I am allowed to write silly things
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

So that you can have an identical copy of a 1GB movie on both your Mac and your iTV box? As long as streaming works, there's no need. As long as streaming works, there's no need. As long as streaming works, there's no need!

Well, you first have to get passed the big "IF", as in "If streaming works". Second, the problem is response. Streaming is nice if that's all you want, but you ever try backing up and such while streaming music. It's painfully slow.

Quote:

PLUS, with iTunes DRM, you are limited to the number of copies you can make on devices you own. So an HD in the iTV would eat up one of those copies for any of the media you would choose to load onto it.

This isn't a problem. The DRM does not restrict the number of devices, just the number of computers. You can use 20 iPods with one iTunes library, if you want. Its still considered just one authentication. The TV device would be just such an add-on (hard drive or not) and not need this type of thing.

Quote:

I do think, however, it might be likely to allow it to connect to .Mac, and *maybe* YouTube, although streaming from the net is slower than from within an internal network... and on top of that, I don't know many people who store full-length, full-quality movies in their .Mac storage. In fact, I don't know any.

So, that's why I think there will be no HDD in the TelePort.

This would be just pointless (WRT your post). You have this device being basically a slingbox or Airport Express type thing, where it just plays what's streamed to it. Then why would IT need to go to .Mac or YouTube? Maybe iTunes or FrontRow would get that capability from your computer, but there's no need from the iTV.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's Apple's own fault for not speaking on these matters.

I agree. Apple certainly does not have to give the market all it wants, but someone in the CFO's office should be doing a slightly better job of responding to major market signals (whether options backdating or iPod-phone) and managing market perceptions. Given the that it's a one-man show (or perceived to be such) with that man being famously tight-lipped, it seems to me that the rest of the management team comes thru as a bunch of scaredy-cats.... that does not inspire confidence.

AAPL has become quite a volatile stock of late (I am looking at the last six months), and that is not all for the good (unless you were long AAPL options).

They need a Greenspan-like figure to start to get in front of some of these issues.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Not going to happen. Apple's not looking to compete with Google or Yahoo or MySpace or any of those other free services for this and that. Because they know people will just take the accounts to use as off-site storage, not as an iLife sharing site. Plus, if you've got a community of 'like minded buddies' (whatever the hell that means), then you're all already mac users. What's the point of giving away free stuff to mac users. Its not like they're switching to windows if they don't have it. (For Apple, High cost, no gain).

Well, it's actually allready there on the official Apple site:

1- Quicktime with all the Movie Trailers. vs MySpace

2- An awe inspiring PRO section with creative professionals introducing their work.

3- .Mac with all your personal stuff like your address book, public Calendar, Homepage, Blogs and pictures from iPhoto. vs MySpace

4- A recently updated Mail program vs Gmail

5- A soon to be released fully functional online iCal vs Google Calendar

The only thing they need to do is to reshuffle the whole thing. You can't get a better way to promote iLife and other great Apple stuff. It's what they do allready with the PRO section! But in a rather clumsy way!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Forget functionality, its all about style!

Nono! Not style! It's rather gonna be about Sense and Simplicity! Which is why I love Ive so much

Sense and Simplicity < It's a mission statement from Phillips, executed by Apple
  • Reply 28 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

My predictions: the iPhone will be officially called the "iPod phone". There is no way Verizon carries the "iPhone" unless it becomes so popular that they have to. Verizon likes to make their own money form their own services and have no interest in giving that money to Apple. Nobody will give a crap if the camera on the "iPhone" is called the iSight or not (and of course the phone will have a camera on it!!!). I could certainly see some type of iChat integration, but I'd be surprised if it's advertised as anything more than AIM.

The iTV will officially be called the "iPod TV" or maybe "iTunes TV". The "iTV" will not have a hard drive larger than a few GB, it's just plain cost prohibitive. See a recent thread on the iTV for more detailed predictions from me on this, but it doesn't need a big hard drive when it can pull all your content on-demand directly from the iTunes Store.

I predict we will get some nice demos of the iPhone, iTV and some more insight into Leopard. Only one of the devices will be available immediately and the other at the beginning of February.

It can't possibly be the iPhone.

How many people read the news? Raise your hands.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Hahaha, I agree!

Maybe Apple will team up with Harmon Kardon again to produce some elegant speakers... you remember the crystal globes that came with the G4 iMacs? Those were some nice little pieces of work. Needed more bass though... I blew mine out within a month.

-Clive

I still have those Pro speakers, and the iSub as well.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    mr o, that google dude sits on the apple board, they should just fuse the services with co-branding, that way win users see apple+google or something like: apple online ical by google or something.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

Haha! No need to panic! As a sub 100 I am allowed to write silly things

Panicking is my best mode of operation. Please don't deprive me of it.\
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Well, it's actually allready there on the official Apple site:

1- Quicktime with all the Movie Trailers. vs MySpace

2- An awe inspiring PRO section with creative professionals introducing their work.

3- .Mac with all your personal stuff like your address book, public Calendar, Homepage, Blogs and pictures from iPhoto. vs MySpace

4- A recently updated Mail program vs Gmail

5- A soon to be released fully functional online iCal vs Google Calendar

Yeah, but its not free. There's nothing there that's going to get Apple to go "Hey, let's make .Mac free so we can get people to post stupid videos of themselves dancing in their bedrooms!". .Mac mail doesn't even come close to comparing to the free stuff that there's nothing there to draw in users (except the .mac name, if you're into that kind of thing).

And then the big question becomes: Where's the profit angle? Are you expecting that somehow a .mac will take over the love affair people have with MySpace and drive more people to the mac?

But the biggest detractor to the thought of a free .Mac is this: No one will believe it. Everyone thought iTools was free forever (whether that be correct or not is immaterial, the impression given was that it was being given away for free, and it would always be that way). Then they pulled the rug out on all their faithful users (and all those windows users who got their itools account as well) and made it a pay service. If apple comes out and says "Hey, and we've got a free version now! No, really! Its free! We promise!", how many are going to trust Apple enough to start making it their new 'myspace'?
  • Reply 33 of 39
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Oh, and no HDD in TelePort (iTV), at least that amounts to anything more than the UI and/or chache/buffer.

There's absolutely no need and would complicate the equation indefinitely, especially concerning digital rights.

Let's assume Munster is right, though, that there IS a HDD in the TelePort and that it can act as a stand-alone media access point. The question remains, how would you be able to get media onto it? Either 1) it comes with some sort of operating system which allowed you to connect it to the iTS for content, or 2) it could be detected by a Mac or PC as a computer/HD over the network in order to drag-n-drop media.

Option 1, I think, is too far-fetched and risky. There would be substantial reliability issues using HDs that small to run an OS (unless the gossip about OS X LT is true, but we have no evidence of that yet). We've all heard many nightmare-ish stories about people trying to bring their home computer to work, booting via iPod, and within a couple months, the iPod's HDD dies. Not good.

Option 2, if this is the case, you already have a full-sized (i.e. reliable) HDD in your computer, which is connected to the internet, (i.e. iTS) for content. Why would you even need a HD in the TelePort box? Basically, Apple would be spending money on MicroDrives which don't have a reliable life-span and take up valuable space inside the box and for what? So that you can have an identical copy of a 1GB movie on both your Mac and your iTV box? As long as streaming works, there's no need. As long as streaming works, there's no need. As long as streaming works, there's no need!

PLUS, with iTunes DRM, you are limited to the number of copies you can make on devices you own. So an HD in the iTV would eat up one of those copies for any of the media you would choose to load onto it.

I do think, however, it might be likely to allow it to connect to .Mac, and *maybe* YouTube, although streaming from the net is slower than from within an internal network... and on top of that, I don't know many people who store full-length, full-quality movies in their .Mac storage. In fact, I don't know any.

So, that's why I think there will be no HDD in the TelePort.

-Clive

Who the hell wants to dump a movie anthology on a separate workstation (XRaid capacity for many DVD fanatics) and then only be able to stream it?

Nothing like having 500 DVDs and then go, "No problem, just buy a RAID drive set up and rip'em to digital storage and then stream it from there!"
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I don't need an iPhone. I don't need an iPhone. I don't need an iPhone.

Maybe if I keep saying that I'll convince me.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Durrrr it's gonna be a headless iMac
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by livatlantis View Post

I don't need an iPhone. I don't need an iPhone. I don't need an iPhone.

Maybe if I keep saying that I'll convince me.

Have you been following this?

Stop saying iPhone already. That's done. Apple will produce no "iPhone".
  • Reply 37 of 39
    lol True, but that's the last thing echoing in my head before Mr. Jobs' RDF took over me
  • Reply 38 of 39
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    This even made it on NPR's Morning Edition, this morning. Awaiting Apple's Next Big Thing
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

This even made it on NPR's Morning Edition, this morning. Awaiting Apple's Next Big Thing

Sigh!

Yes, but the point is that with all of the splash in the newspapers, on television, and Apple's well publicised stock drop because of it, **CISCO'S** use of the name "iPhone" precludes Apple's using it.

Doesn't anyone ever do anything other than to read a couple of posts on the occasional forum?

At least scan through all of the posts quickly before posting something that has already been beaten to death.

I know it's hopeless...