Bill Shows Off: World Yawns

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Will Apple overshadow these MS initiatives on Tuesday?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...tm?POE=TECISVA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Pffffffft. Xbox and Vista and Zune your Intarweb Wonderful Life. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............
  • Reply 2 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    A lot of that stuff is actually pretty cool.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

A lot of that stuff is actually pretty cool.

Yes, but MS's track record on delivering some of that stuff is spotty. For example, they totally hosed Verizon on their IPTV delivery and Verizon had to go to Motorolla and other partners to fill in the gaps.

Vinea
  • Reply 4 of 10
    One thing I don't understand in Microsoft's strategy is their obsession with XBox. They've got some nice features in there, like the 480p movie and tv downloads ('m not sure what the DRM issues if any are associated with that). I watched the CES keynote lastnight, and everything cool that they demonstrated required an xbox. I'm not a gamer, I have no desire to be one. Why would I buy an xbox just so I can use these services? Provide them with software! Mac and PC versions would be nice.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Because MS is (again) trying to copy Apple... this time by being the software *and* hardware vendor. They finally wised up that controlling the whole widget saves money in development, and makes money in revenue.

By positioning the XBox 360 as a 'home PC' instead of a gaming console, they have a $600 PC for the home that includes Media Center capabilities, etc, as *well* as kick-ass games. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Vista UI pop up on it at some point, and it become a full fledged honest to god PC, complete with shrinkwrap apps for it, probably by download.

*THEN* they're in a position to wipe out much of the low-end PC market, and take all the marbles for themselves, as well as create an ecosystem that is much more used to 'online apps'. ie, their old subscription model again.

Ballsy, but they've painted themselves into a bit of a corner - now they have to try and convince everyone that no, really, it's *NOT* just a gaming console, after spending millions on selling it as *exactly* that. We'll see how it works for them. My guess? Not well.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I don't think they are copying Apple here. All the next-gen consoles provide these features to some extent, apparently because someone must want them. I would rather use my PC for these tasks, but somebody must use this stuff.

Microsoft doesn't want to wipe out any of the PC market, they sell Windows to just about the entire market. They just want to own the console market as well, so they follow the trends that industry is taking.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, I just meant that they're copying Apple's business model, not their technology: Sell the whole experience, from hardware, to OS, to applications, and media distribution. Different products, same philosophy.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

No, I just meant that they're copying Apple's business model, not their technology: Sell the whole experience, from hardware, to OS, to applications, and media distribution. Different products, same philosophy.

And like Apple, the "experience" is looking to be pretty mediocre at best.

Just like you don't ask Honda to desing and build a stereo that goes into their cars because that's not what they're good at, you don't ask MS to choose and design hardware. XBOX is pretty cruddy as far as hardware for audio/video is concerned by todays standards... even compared to lower end PCs.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Gates planned to show for the first time a feature of Vista that allows the use of animated backgrounds.

I am so excited I might pee in my pants.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    srewopsrewop Posts: 28member
    Seeing as it's Ford initegration, I don't think we have much of a problem on our hands as we all know where they are going...