Microsoft previews development version of Office 2008 for Mac (images)

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Any text field in 10.5's Cocoa will have support for Office Open XML as well as OASIS OpenDocument. That includes iWork.

Wow that sounds great but I wonder how they'll keep the memory consumption down? OpenOffice uses a ton of memory but maybe it's not the text editor/parser using all that memory.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

So can anyone tell me what the three Refresh Menu buttons are and why I would want them hovering in my face all day?

Those are tasks--the bottom part of the window is a list of your tasks that you can check-off and/or create. It just happens the screenshot shows 3 tasks with the same name "Menu Refresh." You can see this on a couple other sites' screenshots that show the presenter expanded the height of the My Day window.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    It's funny how Office looks so much better on a Mac then it does on a Windows machine. Why would Microsoft make a better version for its rival?
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irasiegel View Post

How about a return to Word 5.1?

Bingo. I'm tired of my toolbars creeping and jumping all over the place.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexc View Post

It's funny how Office looks so much better on a Mac then it does on a Windows machine. Why would Microsoft make a better version for its rival?

It has something to do with the MacBU, who also makes Messenger for Mac and maintains it's own site, being less then a hundred and being better coders and having better tools (Xcode, Interface Builder, Dashcode) then the Microsoft Office team, which makes only Office, and having hundreds of coders working on scattered projects that somehow all join into one.

Make no mistake though, in terms of core software, Office for Mac is much much better, in terms of actual business solutions scalable for everyone from the home user to the small business, and co-op throughout a business, Office 2007 is much better in that area.

I've used Word 2007, Outlook 2007, and Powerpoint 2007, the other Apps didn't interest me and I really had no use at all for the server components, those 3 at the very least are very good. Outlook could use some more UI polish, it was more difficult to use then PPT07 and Word07.

Sebastian
  • Reply 46 of 47
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    the only thing missing is the VBA support, I think the MacBU should make an extra effort and add the support for Visual Basic Macros. maybe the code for VBA is to old, but why they [Macbu] were never worry or assigned the resources to update that code to make it more modern? and avoid the "OOOpps, it's to complicated to create universal apps".
  • Reply 47 of 47
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cesar View Post

the only thing missing is the VBA support, I think the MacBU should make an extra effort and add the support for Visual Basic Macros. maybe the code for VBA is to old, but why they [Macbu] were never worry or assigned the resources to update that code to make it more modern? and avoid the "OOOpps, it's to complicated to create universal apps".

I have never programmed with Python but from what is on it's home page I think it would be a good replacement for VBA. Since it is platform independent it seems like it could also be application independent, but it would require the libraries to be installed on the users' computer.