iPhone impact on future hardware solutions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think the next 'laptop' may just be a large screen with the multipoint touch screen. That would be cool and allow Apple to get even thinner and lighter. Like the saying goes you can't be too rich or to thin. That's Apple's motto.

the multi-touch interface is just amazing. Lots and lots of possibilities. You just have to combine the iPhone with the mac and you get something like this (although Apple will have an even cooler design):

Why do current tablets suck? Too big, UI terrible - they are just a notebook with flipped screen. We've seen what apple is capable of - if they release a tablet, it will be closer to startrek than to any tablet we've seen so far.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by durin oakenskin View Post

Why do current tablets suck? Too big, UI terrible - they are just a notebook with flipped screen. We've seen what apple is capable of - if they release a tablet, it will be closer to startrek than to any tablet we've seen so far.

I think it has more to with the interface, and not so much the hardware. Other than the originals that were really really thick. I think people bought tablets thinking they would get a more functional device using a tablet version of windows someday, but I don't blame the hardware companies that designed the hardware. I remember the Vadem Clio back in the day. Really nice hardware great design. Probably the first real consumer TabletPC. Biggest problem with it was it was underpowered, and undersized.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Apple has found an unbelievable smart way of getting everyone to adopt a new skill. It's inevitable chording will become a polular text entry technique to be championed by the teen texting crowd.

Once people adapt to this, qwerty will seem cumbersome- Enter the Mac Tablet. Intuitively manipulate the objects on the screen by pointing, dragging, pulling, etc... and when you need to enter text you just start tapping on the screen with specific finger combinations.

Two handed chording can be faster than Qwerty. If apple would hire me I would devote night and day to figuring out the best chording method as it, along with gestures, is most obviously the future interface method.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

This IS the 30th Anniversay Mac. (Heh, I almost said 30th Century Mac...)

i almost agree with you. its a new form factor, and the technology has changed alot in 30 years, but thats basically what it is. it runs a version of macOS and is very much a mobile computer (and for the price point you pretty much get what your paying for, half a computer for half the cost). the original mac has alot in common with the iphone, in that it was meant to be an embedded device that just worked. to call the computer cup half full or half empty is to nitpick over details.

macworld was the right venue to do this. overall, i'd say we're seeing the beginning of something new in the mac world. we may be getting a glimpse at OS 11. there's alot of technology there, minority report style, that could translate back to the desktop computer easily.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I agree that many of the negative opinions obout the iPhone seem very short-sighted or merely self-serving for their own particular needs.

An iPhone isn't supposed to replace the iPod. That is why it is under its own tab on the Apple site. it only makes a phone and iPod Nano redundant for some.

Multi-touch changes EVERYTHING! And the software already supports the one non laptop product that I would spend big bucks on - a 9" tablet that runs widgets, ebooks, videopodcasts, email, web browsing and allows for word processing and keynote support and reading if not editing. All things that don't need a dedicated physical keyboard. It would be a real media communication device the size of a paperback and weighing about the same, because with WiFi and BT there is no need for optical drives.

The future is AWESOME and with both The Beatles and Star Trek so obviously highlighted during the keynote, I sure hope Jobs is into foreshadowing!!!

Also the quibbling about Cingular GSM is short-sighted because that tech, though maybe older, is very reliable, globally adopted and only necessary for voice. All the other iPhone goodies can run off WiFi signals in almost every city in the world soon. Why put the fastest voice tech in a phone that won't need it in 2 years anyway?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I think that the most telling thing here is that the iphone that was shown was the internal final beta version. The shipping version, given 6 more months of development will be a different beast. My guess is that the iphone will be released in typical Jobs fashion. After the WWDC and a feature/ size upgrade at the same price point. Also the SDK will probably be released at that time.

Apple will initially ship with iwork and ilife heavily integrated into the iphone. This will include the dashboard creation widget. Widgets will feature highly in the iphone. They provide functionality and yet still allow for customization.

.mac and voip have still NOT yet been talked about.