Mac OS X Leopard to sport next-gen DVD Player software

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 92
    REGION goddamned FREE!
  • Reply 62 of 92
    I can't stand to use iTunes as a video player. I use it to download video podcasts and sometimes videos from the iTunes Store, but I always use QT Player to actually watch the videos.



    I'd be nice if Apple made a dedicated app for managing/playing video, but it looks like iTunes is it for the time being. \
  • Reply 63 of 92
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    How is the AppleTV crippled?



    It does exactly what Apple said it would do:

    Stream Content from your iTunes (and iPhoto) Libraries.



    Not necessarily all content from iTunes libraries, e.g. imported EyeTV MPEG-2 program streams. The hardware is apparently capable of supporting more video formats than published specs claim it will. No reason to belabor the topic because, well, that's already been done too much.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    As for Apple's RSS approach, Mail and Safari will use a shared store. I can't remember if Developers will be able to access it or not though.



    Unless I've missed it, I'm surprised more effort hasn't gone into creating an open standard that allows sharing/synching feed data between different RSS/Atom clients, sort of like IMAP does for mail.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post


    Unless I've missed it, I'm surprised more effort hasn't gone into creating an open standard that allows sharing/synching feed data between different RSS/Atom clients, sort of like IMAP does for mail.



    I'm wondering why this hasn't happened myself. I have an RSS Feed Library in Vienna that is starting to Rival Google News (well, a much more personalized version of it anyways) and when and if I decide I want to switch to say.... Newsfire, well let's just say I haven't had good experiences with trying to switch RSS Readers before. -_-



    Sebastian
  • Reply 66 of 92
    ksecksec Posts: 1,567member
    You can always use a online services for synching RSS feed like bloglines.com.



    The only problem is i haven't (yet) find a free Mac app that support it.



    Vienna dev said they will have blogline support along with new UI in the next version.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post


    You can always use a online services for synching RSS feed like bloglines.com.



    The only problem is i haven't (yet) find a free Mac app that support it.



    NetNewsWire Lite?
  • Reply 68 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Choke it up to the pragmatist in me but I tend to go wish detailed lab results over unlearned opinions:



    Choke? Go wish?



    Whether or not you realize it, I think the expression you really wanted for the first was "chalk it up". "Choke it up" is an expression for how you hold the handle for something you swing, like a hammer, bat or racket.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by confirmed View Post


    the items in bold are all already implemented in DVD Player



    Apple's current deinterlacing just sucks to the point that it almost doesn't count anymore. It does have it, but it's literally the worst available for software deinterlacing. I still see combing with video material. I'd use VLC's "X" deinterlacing but that program is pretty crash prone.



    If they can finally figure out how to tap into the graphic chip's hardware deinterlacing can Apple finally catch up.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post


    That's because Quicktime isn't WMP's competitor. iTunes is. Yes yes, I know iTunes uses the Quicktime codecs for play back. But I think Quicktime's day is over. At least, the Quicktime Player.



    I think it's a case of Quicktime not being sure what it wants to be. All of it's player fuctionality is now done by iTunes, so what's left? Editing? That's iMovie's job. They need to get rid of the app altogether and have the other application take care of the codecs. Quicktime Player is a reminent of OS 9.



    Quicktime is actually a software framework, and Quicktime app ties all the functionality together. The Quicktime app's editor is a lot more lightweight than iMovie and has a place in the toolbox for quickly handling simple tasks and previewing videos. It's also a very convenient audio/video recorder. It is a browser plug-in too.



    iTunes offers the convenience of being a good cataloging and organization program, but iTunes' movie playback functionality is considerably clunkier than Quicktime on the speed and UI.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post


    Not necessarily all content from iTunes libraries, e.g. imported EyeTV MPEG-2 program streams. The hardware is apparently capable of supporting more video formats than published specs claim it will. No reason to belabor the topic because, well, that's already been done too much.



    I'm not sure how to take this, so I'll answer it two or more ways.



    Your EyeTV software should install a software plug-in to Quicktime that should allow you to play MPEG-2 through any Quicktime-enabled app. I have not tried doing that with iTunes though. You have to give iTunes the MPEG file that's in the EyeTV recording "file" because it's actually a container folder holding a few other files too. iTunes probably doesn't know what to do when given the container folder.



    The MPEG-2 from over-the-air is limited to less than 20Mbps. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray allows for a lot more than that, and MPEG-2 is less processor-intensive to decode than VC-1 and H.264.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,804member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I'm not sure how to take this, so I'll answer it two or more ways.



    Your EyeTV software should install a software plug-in to Quicktime that should allow you to play MPEG-2 through any Quicktime-enabled app. I have not tried doing that with iTunes though. You have to give iTunes the MPEG file that's in the EyeTV recording "file" because it's actually a container folder holding a few other files too. iTunes probably doesn't know what to do when given the container folder.



    Jeff, you misunderstood sjk's post. Whilst you can get iTunes to play files containing MPEG-2 tracks, the AppleTV will not play those files. Apple TV plays only MPEG-4 part 2 Simple Profile and MPEG-4 part 10 Baseline Profile and Main Profile.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Your EyeTV software should install a software plug-in to Quicktime that should allow you to play MPEG-2 through any Quicktime-enabled app.



    It's /Library/QuickTime/EyeTV MPEG Support.component but I'm almost certain that's only used when exporting EyeTV transport streams because playback still works on systems where it's not installed. Muxed MPEG-2 playback is probably enabled when Apple's MPEG-2 Playback Component is installed; it's too inconvenient to uninstall and test that here right now.



    Quote:

    I have not tried doing that with iTunes though.



    I have (with MPEG-2 component caveat). It's not my style to make claims without personal confirmation or substantial evidence from trustworthy sources.



    Quote:

    You have to give iTunes the MPEG file that's in the EyeTV recording "file" because it's actually a container folder holding a few other files too.



    With or without any EyeTV or Apple components installed, iTunes and QuickTime don't recognize the MPEG-2 transport streams that EyeTV records. MPEG Streamclip is the only OS X app I'm aware of that does. If there are others I'd be glad to know, although they might be ones I don't need or can't afford.



    Quote:

    iTunes probably doesn't know what to do when given the container folder.



    True; AFAIK only EyeTV does.



    Quote:

    The MPEG-2 from over-the-air is limited to less than 20Mbps. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray allows for a lot more than that, and MPEG-2 is less processor-intensive to decode than VC-1 and H.264.



    Not sure how that relates… was it a reply to someone else's comments?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Jeff, you misunderstood sjk's post. Whilst you can get iTunes to play files containing MPEG-2 tracks, the AppleTV will not play those files. Apple TV plays only MPEG-4 part 2 Simple Profile and MPEG-4 part 10 Baseline Profile and Main Profile.



    Yep, that was my point. Based on currently published ATV specs it's more iPod and iTunes Store compatible than iTunes.app compatible.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post


    ...

    I already do Notes in Mail. My poor Drafts mailbox if full of them. I'd use TextEdit, but when it crashes, it tends to lose everything that isn't saved, so I switched to Mail which auto-saves and re-opens everything when I re-launch the app. Apple probably missed the boat on this one, watched someone like me who uses Mail for notes, and didn't get why I'm doing it.

    ...

    ...



    Oh there you go, stickies, the universal app to do notes on your mac. They

    are interchangeable anywhere everywhere. The best Notes.app on the planet

    i ever encountered, for 20 yrs.

    Quote:

    ...

    ...

    I always assumed everyone else uses Stickies anyhow.



    ...



    Oh, you just figured it out. I should read last sentences too.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    ksecksec Posts: 1,567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post


    NetNewsWire Lite?



    Doesn't it only support newsgator services?
  • Reply 76 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post


    Oh there you go, stickies, the universal app to do notes on your mac. They

    are interchangeable anywhere everywhere. The best Notes.app on the planet

    i ever encountered, for 20 yrs.



    I've never found them anything other than annoying.



    However, if they were like http://stikkit.com/ and you could create them simply by selecting text in any app and right clicking to create a stikkit, I'd love that. Integrating todo's and notes into mail is really useful because someone will send me something I have to do but there currently isn't an easy way to add them to whatever task management app I'm using be it stikkit, stickies, OmniOutliner or whatever.



    http://www.indev.ca/MT2Beta.html does it but IMHO it could be simpler.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 32,999member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    I've never found them anything other than annoying.



    However, if they were like http://stikkit.com/ and you could create them simply by selecting text in any app and right clicking to create a stikkit, I'd love that. Integrating todo's and notes into mail is really useful because someone will send me something I have to do but there currently isn't an easy way to add them to whatever task management app I'm using be it stikkit, stickies, OmniOutliner or whatever.



    http://www.indev.ca/MT2Beta.html does it but IMHO it could be simpler.



    It's something I've always thought I should be be using, but, it is just too messy for me to bother.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,664member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    I've never found them anything other than annoying.



    However, if they were like http://stikkit.com/ and you could create them simply by selecting text in any app and right clicking to create a stikkit, I'd love that. Integrating todo's and notes into mail is really useful because someone will send me something I have to do but there currently isn't an easy way to add them to whatever task management app I'm using be it stikkit, stickies, OmniOutliner or whatever.



    http://www.indev.ca/MT2Beta.html does it but IMHO it could be simpler.



    OS X services to the rescue. Command-shift-y, make new sticky from selection.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    It's something I've always thought I should be be using, but, it is just too messy for me to bother.



    I've an iMac. That big white chin at the bottom has it's uses.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    OS X services to the rescue. Command-shift-y, make new sticky from selection.



    I think you have a good point, but I want to twist it a little bit. I think the suggestion was the other way, to be able to email information in a selected sticky using system services. I thought there were some system services that offered mailing, but I can't find any in my list. I see an assembly language processor instruction set look-up which I don't ever expect to use. I just found that I had archived the Mail program, so maybe that service is supposed to be there for most Macs.
Sign In or Register to comment.