Unable to reinstal mac os x

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I deleted CoreServices folder in my iMac G5 and now I can't reinstal mac os x and can't boot up iMac too. I tried everything but without results. My iMac is with DVD inside but iMac don't see them during startup (hold C, option, option+command+shoft+delete, shift.... during start up) I make connection with powerbook G4 with firewire cabel but iMac still can't see instalation DVD. When I hold Option key on the screen apear just Macintosh HD but not and dvd or cd...

Pls help me how to solve this problem and reinstal mac os x.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Sounds like either your optical drive took a dump (probably not) or your install DVD is bad. Check it for fingerprints or crud or scratches. Are you using the DVD that came with the iMac?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post

Sounds like either your optical drive took a dump (probably not) or your install DVD is bad. Check it for fingerprints or crud or scratches. Are you using the DVD that came with the iMac?

DVD is ok I try with 3 mac os x install dvd (we have 3 iMac and 3 original install DVD's. I try to connect power book and my iMac via firewire. That is work but I can't still read from DVD which now is in powerbook. When I press option key during startup mac os x just Macintosh HD appear on the screenno additional boot drive. I try all known key combinations during startup but nothing. Hold C - not result, hold option - same, hold shift - same, hold option+command+shift+delete - same, conection with powerbook via firewire cabel - same... what else?

If my iMac is target computer then I can take all files from hdd inside it, but when I try to instal from dvd inside power book i can't see dvd in powerbook ?????

regards,

Vladimir
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Have you tried booting off of the Apple Hardware Test DVD that came with the G5 iMac?

You might try resetting the PRAM via apple-option-p-r...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Can you boot the iMac into target disk mode and will the powerbook see it? If so you may try formatting the iMac drive that way (not sure if you will be able to do it via target disk mode) then try booting off of the install DVD.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post

Have you tried booting off of the Apple Hardware Test DVD that came with the G5 iMac?

You might try resetting the PRAM via apple-option-p-r...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Can you boot the iMac into target disk mode and will the powerbook see it? If so you may try formatting the iMac drive that way (not sure if you will be able to do it via target disk mode) then try booting off of the install DVD.

It's same. iMac siply can't recognise DVD inside. Start uo keep going like nothing is in DVD rom

Is it possible to make a hardver reset inside iMac?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vladimirro View Post

It's same. iMac siply can't recognise DVD inside. Start uo keep going like nothing is in DVD rom

Is it possible to make a hardver reset inside iMac?

Which files i need to copy from other imac CoreServices folder into my iMac to be able to start my iMac and see desktop? Is that loginwindow.app or more of them?