New iMacs?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by king_luis View Post

To be fair, wouldnt a new exterior design warrant it becoming the g6???

if it were to be slightly thinner, or remove the chin, then perhaps not a g6, however if they completely changed the design on the outside it would be a g6.

thats the point he is trying to make

No, G5 was a processor name.... the IBM PowerPC G5 was the name of the chip, so naturally the iMac that used that chip was called the iMac G5. Intel has nothing to do with that naming system. Some refer to the first gens as the G3 iMacs, then the first major revision of the iMac with the LCD later became known as the G4 (since it used the G4 chip) and then when they got the G5's, it became known as the iMac G5. Now that they switched from Intel and used the Core Duo and now the Core 2 Duo, it wouldn't make sense to call any iMac the iMac G6.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Are you in the market to buy one? If so, what is it about the current design that stops you buying?

If you're not in the market to buy one, then what, exactly, are you trying to say? That they should change it for the sake of it?

It ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing.

I COMPLETELY agree. I don't get the gripe so many have with the current case design. I still think it looks beautiful. I like the chin! I don't see what's so wrong with it. It gives them enough room to put that nice big Apple logo in the center!
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rminkler View Post

I think you're a little confused. G5 refers to the powerpc processor that Apple used before switching to intel processors. There is no such thing as an "intel iMac G5." Apple could release a new iMac design tomorrow and it wouldn't be the iMac G6.

Im sorry. lol. I always use G5, G4, G3, etc to reference the design of the system. lol. When I say G6 what i really mean is a newly designed Mac. I know thats not really what it means, but thats usually how I use that. sorry.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I wonder if the iMac has a change of receiving the new consumer Quad processor from intel?

That and a beefier GPU would make for a very nice iMac.

Especially in a 30 inch iMac model!!!

Lemon Bon Bon

If it's going to have Quad core soon, why wouldn't the iMac have the ability for multiple OSs to run virtually and simoultaneously and natively (no reboot, as easy as switching from say Firefox to IE on a PC). Quad core is a lot of power than should be able to be parsed between OSs, in addition to just applications. Think about it, that's 2 cores for each running OS.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Maybe a 30th Anniversary iMac:

30" multi-touch/pressure sensitive/stylus-enabled LCD screen

3GHz Core 2 Extreme Quad-core CPU

4GB RAM

Two 1TB HDDs

SLI & CrossFire compatible dual graphics slots

Dual FireWire400 ports

Single FireWire800 port

Quad USB2 ports

Dual 1000BaseT Ethernet ports

latest AirPort & BlueTooth

optical digital audio i/o

built-in iSight

Apple Design/THX 5.1 certified surround sound speakers & subwoofer

BlueTooth keyboard & Mighty Mouse

Apple Design Stylus

8GB iPhone

.Mac ten year membership

Say, US$10,000??!?

Too much? Not enough?

;^p

You forgot a Flux Capicitor.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Two slide-out cup holders would be nice too. One could be heated, the other chilled.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Shoot me down but I don't want a massive white thing in my home when everything else is silver or black. White when out of fashion a long time ago. You don't see a white kitchen these days!!!

Come on move with the times. An apple logo is not enough for me.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Silver and black ?

bleh

Sounds like you need to get some beige in there !
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Well depending on which room depends on which colour.

How many hd tv's are white I ask??? How many microwaves are white??? The only bloody thing that is white is the macbook and the imac. It just looks like plastic. As soon as it changes design I am buying but not until.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Besides Apple have pissed me off. I have been waiting for a true widescreen ipod so I can watch movies and recorded tv but no they bring it out in a phone which we can't get for a year over here.

It sucks.

I shall keep watching all the special events from over here just to be disappointed.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    lol - I can sympathise.