Am I able to use my iSight with Messenger?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Lets face it... hardly anyone I know uses a Mac and/or iChat. Most people still use Messenger. Is there a hack to get my MPB's built in iSight to work with messenger, or is there another app I can use for chatting on messenger that will allow me to use my iSight?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The Microsoft version of MSN Messenger for Mac (what a stupid name!) - does not support video. However, you can download a number of 3rd Party Messenger Apps for the Mac

There is one called aMSN which does support video.

Skype also has pretty good video, and is well supported on Macs, Windows and works through most firewalls.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The Microsoft version of MSN Messenger for Mac (what a stupid name!)

The name is "Microsoft Messenger for Mac". There is no "MSN" in it; the MSN branding has been deprecated quite a while ago.

Microsoft Messenger is a client to Windows Live and Secure Live Communication Server, and you probably would agree that naming it "Windows Live Messenger for Mac" doesn't work too great.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

There is no "MSN" in it; the MSN branding has been deprecated quite a while ago.

That's funny because everyone who actually uses Messenger seems to still call it "MSN".

You gotta admit, when it comes down to finding names for things, Microsoft either uses the same name for lots of different things ( Explorer, Messenger, dotNet ) or comes up with something deeply confusing. (Windows Genuine Advantage)

C.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

That's funny because everyone who actually uses Messenger seems to still call it "MSN".

That's certainly true. http://messenger.msn.com/ redirects to Windows Live now, though.

Quote:

You gotta admit, when it comes down to finding names for things, Microsoft either uses the same name for lots of different things ( Explorer, Messenger, dotNet ) or comes up with something deeply confusing. (Windows Genuine Advantage)

I'm not here to defend Microsoft
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Skype is good for non-iChat video, that should be the way to go. Otherwise, yeah, maybe some 3rd party apps. Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Over the last year or so most people I know have moved to Skype, as it works on OSX and Windows. Also IM (and voice) conversations are encrypted, and it works through firewalls with no configuration (unlike iChat).

I've also now moved most of my phone calls to Skype, and am generally happy with call quality (as long as I'm not downloading lots of large files at the time )

More and more of my friends are getting cameras too (usually as they move to Macs ) so video is becoming more normal as well; when we want it anyway.

At my last work I used MSN, and it was quite unreliable connecting and sending messages sometimes. I'm glad to have moved over...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yahoo messenger for Mac is pretty good and it supports video. I found aMSN video would not work with at least two thirds of my contacts. So ditch Microsoft and go Yahoo.