User account questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i want to set up user accounts in osx. i want to know if its stupid like the windows one and will be a big hassle. is it easy like lets say i have a program on my account how can i get it to go to my brothers file. how can i share itunes music. any other help would be appreciated thanks very much

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    To move files between accounts, you can drag them to the Users>Shared folder, or if you want to move it to a specific account, you can put it in their public drop box. To open it in the other account, simply go to one of those folders and open the file.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    god apple is smart
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Unless things have changed quite recently, sharing the iTunes library is NOT so straight-forward.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Would it be easier to put all of the music on an external drive or a seperate partition? I've found it's always a good idea anyway and it would fix the sharing music issue.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Unless things have changed quite recently, sharing the iTunes library is NOT so straight-forward.

To share a particular iTunes library between different user accounts

implies that all users in question are (a) logged in and (b) iTunes is running on

every account and (c) iTunes is set to share music. Not too smart.

Hence i recommend to store the entire iTunes library onto a different partition

of HD, if possible. Thus any user can access the iTunes library.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

Would it be easier to put all of the music on an external drive or a seperate partition? I've found it's always a good idea anyway and it would fix the sharing music issue.

Absolutely
  • Reply 7 of 7
    so does thus mean fast user switching must be enabled? and also if i make a change like adding a song in my other accounts folder will it add it to my other account. Also does it slow the mac down alot to have lets say 3 user accounts? not running at the same time but just there. and should i use fast user switching and can i password protect to go back into my account