Widescreen ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So I just got a ridiculous amount of money back from school and I've been thinking about getting a new ipod but I also don't want to get one because I have a feeling that Apple will just release a new model within about a month of me getting one. So, my question is whether or not I should wait it out a bit and see if there will be a new model coming out.

Is the widescreen ipod only going to be for the iphone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    I think that most people suspect that the next iPod will look rather similar to the iPhone (but without the phone / web-browsing features). If this is the case, Apple will not release such a device until after it has released the iPhone because it will not want to cannibalise the sales figures of the iPhone. In the past couple of years, Apple has released a number of iPods in the early fall (2Gen shuffle & 2Gen Nano last year, and 1Gen Nano the year before). I am guessing that September / October will be a good time for the release of the 6Gen iPod. If you buy your iPod now, you ought to do so with a reasonable amount of assurance that it'll be at least five months (and more likely closer to eight months) before the 5Gen is replaced. I can not guarantee any of this, but if you think my logic is sound, then you should either buy your iPod or be ready to wait eight months for the next revision.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I think that most people suspect that the next iPod will look rather similar to the iPhone (but without the phone / web-browsing features). If this is the case, Apple will not release such a device until after it has released the iPhone because it will not want to cannibalise the sales figures of the iPhone. In the past couple of years, Apple has released a number of iPods in the early fall (2Gen shuffle & 2Gen Nano last year, and 1Gen Nano the year before). I am guessing that September / October will be a good time for the release of the 6Gen iPod. If you buy your iPod now, you ought to do so with a reasonable amount of assurance that it'll be at least five months (and more likely closer to eight months) before the 5Gen is replaced. I can not guarantee any of this, but if you think my logic is sound, then you should either buy your iPod or be ready to wait eight months for the next revision.

Thanks a lot for your input; it makes a lot of sense why Apple wouldn't release a widescreen ipod before the iphone is released. I have a 4Gen ipod and haven't had any problems with it but I'm just ready for a new video ipod. I'll just wait and see what happens