When and about what do you think the next special event will be?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Rumor Mill Heats Up Over Beatles/Apple Deal

January 19, 2007

Sgt. Pepper's one and only lonely

hearts club band

The music industry has been waiting for The Beatles' camp to enter the 21st century with the Fab Four's catalog, which is unavailable digitally. While the Beatles' Apple Corp. has famously feuded in court on-and-off over the years with Apple Computers (now Apple Inc.), last year it was rumored that the entire Beatles catalog was being remastered for a re-release in 2007. Now the rumor mill is turning again, with release dates being thrown around this time.

The Toronto Sun is reporting that the entire remastered Beatles catalog could be in stores by this June, and that their music could make its way onto the iTunes Music Store as early as February. The CD releases could possibly be timed to coincide with the 40th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and that album could also be released as a box set with stereo and mono mixes. The paper also notes that Apple Inc. is planning a "special announcement" during the Super Bowl, which could be the news Beatles fans have waited for.

Beatles fan sites are also hearing that the iTunes release date could be Valentine's Day, with a promotion tying it all together with the Cirque du Soleil/Beatles LOVE collaboration.

At the recent MacWorld convention, where the company unveiled the iPhone and Apple TV, CEO Steve Jobs slyly played a clip of "Lovely Rita" to try out the iPhone and tease the audience.

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=336546
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I was the person who started this thread and I have been having this personal debate about what to do for my Mac situation for weeks now and I'm getting impatient. I also read today that the next MacBook Pro could include a new LCD screen that will save battery and be brighter. This is my predicament,

I have two options, The first option is taht I can sell my PC laptop now. It will be in brand new condition because it will be just formatted and be like brand new by my IT guy, because it just completely crashed a few days ago and is being restored. I was thinking about selling it now, and when I go on vacation to the States I would get a MacBook Pro off eBay. It's cheaper and I can avoid all taxes and customs. I would also be forced to pay extra for a copy of Leopard...which isnt exactly cheap for a piece of software.

Two, I use my PC. I will have to go through reformatting everything at the time I purchase my Mac and I will get less for my computer later on. However, if I do that, I will wait and Mac Leopard will come installed on the computer, and potentially then the 15" MacBook (not pro) will be out then and hopefully with a bettter video card and a bigger standard hard drive. I see that Mac updates their hardware fairly often to increase the standard hard drive, memory & graphics card. However, this option forced me to use my piece of s*** PC for a while more and this option will be pricier because MacBook Pro's are cheaper now before they are updated and come with Leopard. I know this sounds like the obvious choice, but keep in mind this will cost much more $$$. I will get less for my PC and the Mac will be more expensive because its the newest, latest one.

Overall, I appreciate peoples in-depth feedback too, but overall I just want a simple poll from you guys. Simply, would you go with option 1 or 2?

Ian

P.S. Do you also think that buying an Applecare warranty is really worth it? Can you buy one off of eBay and when you recieve it, then register it to the Mac?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    sorry my apologies....I posted this in the wrong thread
  • Reply 24 of 36
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    With 204ppi screens out there, and every out mac has builtin iSight

I hope it out on the 20th Feb annoucements.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    this is what I am thinking.

special event will be held in the middle of FEB just after Superbowl.

Leopard will be annoced but shipped in the middle of March. there will be still no video ipod. but Apple will inform Beattle's version of special video ipod will be shipped before WWDC 2007. iLife, iWork 07 will be shipped. built-in isight cinema display will be out (17, 24, 30-inch). Apple TV will be started to ship. Steve Jobs will give us more about iPhone. finally, it will be possible that other countries itunes store will sell movies as well.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archurban View Post

this is what I am thinking.

special event will be held in the middle of FEB just after Superbowl.

Leopard will be annoced but shipped in the middle of March. there will be still no video ipod. but Apple will inform Beattle's version of special video ipod will be shipped before WWDC 2007. iLife, iWork 07 will be shipped. built-in isight cinema display will be out (17, 24, 30-inch). Apple TV will be started to ship. Steve Jobs will give us more about iPhone. finally, it will be possible that other countries itunes store will sell movies as well.

I find it intriguing that you chose to leave out the 20" Cinema Display. Looking at this, from a business and ease of choice point of view I agree. I think they should make a budget 17" minoter with IR, iSight, Mic. and speakers included. And then have the 24" and 30" Pro moniters with very high ppi., very thin, all the new tech. built in like iSight's etc. and make them LED backlit and height adjustable.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    This is just a guess, and most likely wrong...

I think that Apple will have a special event showcasing the Mac Pro with Adobe when they are ready to ship CS3. The Mac Pro will be upgraded to dual quad cores on the high end. Based off of the lag time between the Mac Pro release and the release of the chips from Intel this will happen no earlier than mid February. Steve might not be able to get Adobe on board for this, they havent had the same type of relationship that they had in the Old days, but it would be good for both companies. Apple will also use this event to showcase 10.5.

April is the most likely month for the release of 10.5. That said they will probably have their entire line updated by the end of May. Assume one line updgraded a month this timeframe is about right for their current line-up.

Superbowl could bring us something, since there is the nostalgia of the 1984 ad. If so I think that it will be on the iPod line.

WWDC in June in time for the release of the iPhone, and the anouncement of a developers kit for it. Apple got a bit of bad press having it labeled as not being a smart phone due to having only propriatary software. I think the developers kit will be an offshoot of widgets rather than a full blown developers solutioin. This might be a good venue for the 30th aniversary Mac as well.

Displays will be updated with either the release of 10.5 if they are a higher resolution than the current line or with the release of new Mac Pro's.

I think there will be a February anouncement on the Apple TV front, with the iTMS upgrading their video to 720p and hopefully another movie studio on board and maybe a suprise on previously unanounced features.

iMac, Laptops, Mac Mini...just rutine upgrades is all I see for now.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    According to Apple Recon, the next event will be Feb. 20 to release iLife '07, iWork '07, and new Mac Pros. They're saying Leopard will ship on 3/24. I've never visited them prior to hearing this, so I can't vouch for their track record. Not trying to stoke the rumor fire here, just some food for thought.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    I sure hope this is true, I can hardly wait any longer! Just knowing something IS coming is enough for me, I cannot stand this mystery any longer.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    I wish it were true but that just seems fake. Who knows maybe it is the real thing?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

According to Apple Recon, the next event will be Feb. 20 to release iLife '07, iWork '07, and new Mac Pros. They're saying Leopard will ship on 3/24. I've never visited them prior to hearing this, so I can't vouch for their track record. Not trying to stoke the rumor fire here, just some food for thought.

Well the time frame is right, but I'm not sure about their information. They claim it might be a week one way or the other based on Leopard development. I would imagine that Apple has a build that is stable enough for a public event showing off some of those top secreat features. They could do this at any time now, the only need for waiting on Leopard to have the event is if they want to anounce a definate release date, which they dont have to do, and the OS is not stable enough to know that release date. I would imagine that if they are planning a release in March then they have a pretty good idea if they are going to make that date by now.

I'm kind of in the camp that iLife and iWork will come with Leopard. I think we will have 2 hardware releases before Leopard and 3 after.

The two before would be the Mac Pro's and the Mac Mini. The Pro because they have a new quad core chip to put in them and the Mini because the network hardware needs to be upgraded to work with iTV, it will probably need more memory for Leopard, and they have the Core 2 Duo's to put in them.

I haven't been following the Intel news lately so I'm not sure of this, but I have not seen anything on the processor news hit the Mac news other than the Quad Core's release. If this is the case then the only processor updates they could do now are to faster Core 2 Duo's. Therefore the updates this cycle will be fairly small for these computers and we wait till Jan 08 for new Mac Book's and or iMacs that give us a new design direction for the Mac Line.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    apple could come out with a macbook that has a real video card for $1500 now.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I hereby change my position on iLife bundling with Leopard and apologize profusely to Hobbes, Onlooker and DoctorRobert.

This is the first piece I've seen that lays out a compelling, strategic reason to bundle iLife with Leopard.

I was unaware that Redmond was bundling iLife-clone apps with Vista, and Looprumors is right - FrontRow is essentially useless with iLife. Given those two points, it makes sense that Apple would forego separate iLife box sales to integrate the MacOS experience.

Still disagree on iWork though. Apple won't cut the legs off of Office and chase Redmond off the platform. At least not yet.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I hereby change my position on iLife bundling with Leopard and apologize profusely to Hobbes, Onlooker and DoctorRobert.

This is the first piece I've seen that lays out a compelling, strategic reason to bundle iLife with Leopard.

I was unaware that Redmond was bundling iLife-clone apps with Vista, and Looprumors is right - FrontRow is essentially useless with iLife. Given those two points, it makes sense that Apple would forego separate iLife box sales to integrate the MacOS experience.

Still disagree on iWork though. Apple won't cut the legs off of Office and chase Redmond off the platform. At least not yet.

All I remember is SJ saying something that led me to believe that it was going to be bundled with OS Leopard when he first demoed it. No need to apologize. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    April fools day for leopard, iLife and iWorks