Uninstall Adobe Acrobat Plugin?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My cable provider switched their online billing to pdf, and I couldn't read it with Safari for some reason. I tried firefox, but it told me I needed a new plugin from Adobe. I downloaded it and it went through a long, cumbersome, and unorganized installation process. Not surprisingly, it didn't help me read the pdfs.

Now it's set itself as the default for pdfs in Safari. Problem is that it's so slow, usually hangs my computer, and completely unreliable. It opens an updater app unexpectedly. I just want it GONE!

I've looked through Safari's preferences, and the system preferences. Do I need to trash the app? Can't I just turn it off somehow? Any help please!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Generally you will find Internet Browser plug-ins stored into a Folder named

Internet Plug-Ins which is stored within the main Library of your Mac.

Just open that said folder, pick up the Adobe PDF plugin and drag it

to the trash, if you like. Done.

Since i do not use Adobe Reader on my Mac, i can't tell you for sure,

whether Adobe Reader wants to reinstall the plugin again, if you start

the app the next time. I think Adobe ask you to do so, but you can decline.

As far as i remember Adobe checks the plugin folder, when the App is booted.

If Adobe Reader doesen't find the PDF plugin, the App tries to install.

But: Also you can set the default PDF plugin within Adobe reader. To do so,

open Adobe Reader, open the pref pane, select Internet. The first item

you'll see there is a checkbox-dialog thing, which asks you, whether you want

Adobe PDF plugin set as default. Make sure the checkbox is unchecked.

As i remember correctly, Adobe tries (no it forces) to install the plugin

into the main Library, rather than into the Users library.

There you go.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danosaur View Post

My cable provider switched their online billing to pdf, and I couldn't read it with Safari for some reason. I tried firefox, but it told me I needed a new plugin from Adobe. I downloaded it and it went through a long, cumbersome, and unorganized installation process. Not surprisingly, it didn't help me read the pdfs.

Now it's set itself as the default for pdfs in Safari. Problem is that it's so slow, usually hangs my computer, and completely unreliable. It opens an updater app unexpectedly. I just want it GONE!

I've looked through Safari's preferences, and the system preferences. Do I need to trash the app? Can't I just turn it off somehow? Any help please!

• Reply 2 of 4
    You could save the pdf via Safari and use Preview app to view it seperately.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

You could save the pdf via Safari and use Preview app to view it seperately.

Nah, probably he's got the Schubert.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post

Generally you will find Internet Browser plug-ins stored into a Folder named

Internet Plug-Ins which is stored within the main Library of your Mac.

Just open that said folder, pick up the Adobe PDF plugin and drag it

to the trash, if you like. Done.

Since i do not use Adobe Reader on my Mac, i can't tell you for sure,

whether Adobe Reader wants to reinstall the plugin again, if you start

the app the next time. I think Adobe ask you to do so, but you can decline.

As far as i remember Adobe checks the plugin folder, when the App is booted.

If Adobe Reader doesen't find the PDF plugin, the App tries to install.

But: Also you can set the default PDF plugin within Adobe reader. To do so,

open Adobe Reader, open the pref pane, select Internet. The first item

you'll see there is a checkbox-dialog thing, which asks you, whether you want

Adobe PDF plugin set as default. Make sure the checkbox is unchecked.

As i remember correctly, Adobe tries (no it forces) to install the plugin

into the main Library, rather than into the Users library.

There you go.

Thanks for the help Vox.

I went into Adobe reader 8 and checked the prefs, and where it lists "display PDF in browser using:" it only lists adobe. I uncheck the box and still it forces itself as the default viewer in Safari.

I looked for the plug in under internet plugins for my user and the system, and I can't find it.

Please help. This is really pissing me off ? Adobe should not force itself as a default without consent.