Is it a good idea to erase my hard drive and reinstall Tiger

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a Power Mac G4 933MHz machine with 1.5 gig RAM I got in 2002. My machine was working wonderfully until I upgraded to Tiger. Since then it has been acting very weird.

Such things as, not finding the operating system at startup(I get the ? mark), Microsoft Word takes almost 2-3 minutes to open up, random programs randomly spontaneously close, the whole system will freeze with only 2 programs going like iTunes and Mail, and long, long startup times are among the most common anomalies. I also have an ongoing unknown problem involving my Fonts

I have fixed the Permissions, used Diskwarrior, and zapped the PRAM. My machine isn't too slow for Tiger, is it?

I have an external hard drive and I was wondering if it would be such a bad idea to back everything up and wipe the drive clean and reinstall Tiger. I have the install DVD.

Is that a dumb idea?

Another question, I have OS 9 still on my computer. Can I get rid of it? I would like to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2galoshes View Post

I have a Power Mac G4 933MHz machine with 1.5 gig RAM I got in 2002. My machine was working wonderfully until I upgraded to Tiger. Since then it has been acting very weird.

Such things as, not finding the operating system at startup(I get the ? mark), Microsoft Word takes almost 2-3 minutes to open up, random programs randomly spontaneously close, the whole system will freeze with only 2 programs going like iTunes and Mail, and long, long startup times are among the most common anomalies. I also have an ongoing unknown problem involving my Fonts

I have fixed the Permissions, used Diskwarrior, and zapped the PRAM. My machine isn't too slow for Tiger, is it?

I have an external hard drive and I was wondering if it would be such a bad idea to back everything up and wipe the drive clean and reinstall Tiger. I have the install DVD.

Is that a dumb idea?

nope, it would have been my first bit of advice. go ahead, just back all your stuff up and it should make your situation better
  • Reply 2 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2galoshes View Post

Such things as, not finding the operating system at startup(I get the ? mark)

I know what that problem is. Click the Startup Disk in System Preferences, and then click on the Folder/Startup Disk that you want the computer to start up into. Example Mac OS X 10.4.8 on Machintosh HD
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Yeah definitely wipe and reinstall, then do all the updates to bring it up to 10.4.8 - I think the default install doesn't include OS9... I think...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    What does the original poster mean to all these good advices?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Why bother doing that now? Wait for Leopard before going through the hassle of a complete backup/fresh install!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Why bother doing that now? Wait for Leopard before going through the hassle of a complete backup/fresh install!

It's a bit like saying, oh put off purchasing new tires, because

in a few weeks there will be a huge discount on these you need.

In the meantime, well...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post

What does the original poster mean to all these good advices?

I'm the original poster but I have to admit I don't understand the question. What do I mean to all these good advices?

I'm leaning toward wiping clean and reinstalling, if that is your question. I might as well take this oppurtunity to back up everything and then why not reinstall. I might of done something I shouldn't have in 2002 when I got this computer and didn't really know what I was doing (not that I'm a genius or something now).

Plus, in my startup disk menu I've always had OS 9.1 AND OS 9.2.2 AND OS 10.4.8. I've been wanting to get rid of the OS 9's but didn't want to upset the "apple" cart since I don't know what pupose OS 9 was serving (if any).
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

nope, it would have been my first bit of advice. go ahead, just back all your stuff up and it should make your situation better

sthiede,

I have a question. I have backed up all my music, pictures, documents, etc. I am wondering if I should go through the systems Library and Documents (for example) and backup application support and stuff like that.

Should I even deal with that?

I would rather not but on the other hand I would lose all my program preferences and such, huh?

If you were to do this what would you back up.

This question is posed also to anyone reading,

thanks, you'll have been a big help
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13803 Super Duper

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582 Onyx

Go to these links and download them. (SuperDuper has a free version).

Use Onyx first. Clean up everything. Caches, run scripts, etc. Restart.

Use superduper to make a bootable disk image of your Mac onto an external hard disk.

Wipe your Mac clean and use the Restore disks that came with it. Hook up your external disk to your Mac and boot from it. Read the directions in the SuperDuper pdf user manual to understand how to do this. Restore your Mac from the image you made with SuperDuper.

After this hopefully all will be great. Then, buy the full version of SuperDuper and back up often. (No, I don't work for SuperDuper. I just think it is a great app.)